Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 27, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #25,070 of 150,494
K9xXlcMA6aw3S.gif
K9xXlcMA6aw3S.gif

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #25,071 of 150,494
I am one of those who was curious about the possibility of tone controls (and balance!) so I'm very happy with this product.

Looking at it though... the temptation for a Schiit stack is strong. And with all the options Schiit now offers, it looks like there's a need for a pre-amp that's a little more sophisticated than the SYS. .

An active preamp with three inputs in the mini form factor would be a pretty awesome thing. Visually it looks like there's room to stack RCA jacks vertically (or on the diagonal) so there's enough room for at least four pairs.

Far too small for the soon-to-be-requested processor loop of course, but if you're using Loki to adjust the specific sound for your headphones driven by the Magni 3, you might want to switch your listening between digital from the Modi 2, analog records through the Mani, and one other source - say your favourite CD player with no digital out, or an old cassette player or AM/FM tuner. As Jason pointed out, something like the SYS is passive and may not be the best choice, and only has two channels.

So: who else thinks a multi-channel active preamp in a SYS sized chassis would be a good idea?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #25,073 of 150,494
Hmmm. Just got a set of HE560 and both the Vali2 and Magni2Uber drive them very nicely. So if they drive my Beyers, Senns, Grados, and Now these, I may never need another amp, unless I just aesthetically need one that matches the width of bimby/saga/vidar. I guess if I do pull that trigger it will probably be an amp-only Jotunheim (assuming I can stack it between the bimby and saga without it getting too hot? or do I need an extra shelf? Right now my only "other" shelf has the Vidar. I guess new furniture is also possible)

Sep 28, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #25,074 of 150,494
Hmmm. Just got a set of HE560 and both the Vali2 and Magni2Uber drive them very nicely. So if they drive my Beyers, Senns, Grados, and Now these, I may never need another amp, unless I just aesthetically need one that matches the width of bimby/saga/vidar. I guess if I do pull that trigger it will probably be an amp-only Jotunheim (assuming I can stack it between the bimby and saga without it getting too hot? or do I need an extra shelf? Right now my only "other" shelf has the Vidar. I guess new furniture is also possible)

I have a similar problem, in that I'm eyeing up an upgrade from Valhalla 2 and Bi4490st to a gumby and mjol2, but I likely can't make the leap in one go. The question is can I tolerate a bifrost + mjol2 whilst I save for a gumby... and I know I probably wouldn't last too long.

On a completely unrelated but totally related note, does anyone know if a bifrost chassis can safely stack on top of a mjol2 (obviously on the non-tubed side)? My better judgement tells me it won't quite fit, but I'm not sure I'd have the space to accommodate both of them side-by-side.

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #25,075 of 150,494
I have a similar problem, in that I'm eyeing up an upgrade from Valhalla 2 and Bi4490st to a gumby and mjol2, but I likely can't make the leap in one go. The question is can I tolerate a bifrost + mjol2 whilst I save for a gumby... and I know I probably wouldn't last too long.

On a completely unrelated but totally related note, does anyone know if a bifrost chassis can safely stack on top of a mjol2 (obviously on the non-tubed side)? My better judgement tells me it won't quite fit, but I'm not sure I'd have the space to accommodate both of them side-by-side.

Same here with my Bimby/Valhalla 2 as I expect to move to Gumby/Mjolnir 2 as well. Unfortunately, the trick would've been to sell the Bimby before the intro of the Mimby. Oh well, at least it matches the Valhalla 2 looks wise...all that matters, right? :wink:

With my recent Magni 3 purchase, I find myself wishing I could magically change the Bimby to a Mimby without the hassle of selling & buying anything. Then my new work set up would be a nice upgrade and keep the same form factor. At this point, am thinking I'll live with the Modi until I upgrade to a Gumby at home; then I'll take the Bimby to work.

FWIW, I'd be tempted to buy the Gumby first, then the Mjolnir 2. On the amp side, I'll probably just keep the Valhalla 2 as I have some Senns and Beyers that it works great with. Then, I'll buy the Mjolnir 2 down the road.

On the stacking question, I tend to stack things that won't be on at the same time so the heat from one component doesn't impact another. So...my Bimby is on top of a Sony UDA-1 and the Valhalla 2 is on top an Emotiva amp with the Koss E-90 and SPS DAC 3 to the side of that.

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #25,076 of 150,494
Same here with my Bimby/Valhalla 2 as I expect to move to Gumby/Mjolnir 2 as well. Unfortunately, the trick would've been to sell the Bimby before the intro of the Mimby. Oh well, at least it matches the Valhalla 2 looks wise...all that matters, right? :wink:

With my recent Magni 3 purchase, I find myself wishing I could magically change the Bimby to a Mimby without the hassle of selling & buying anything. Then my new work set up would be a nice upgrade and keep the same form factor. At this point, am thinking I'll live with the Modi until I upgrade to a Gumby at home; then I'll take the Bimby to work.

FWIW, I'd be tempted to buy the Gumby first, then the Mjolnir 2. On the amp side, I'll probably just keep the Valhalla 2 as I have some Senns and Beyers that it works great with. Then, I'll buy the Mjolnir 2 down the road.

On the stacking question, I tend to stack things that won't be on at the same time so the heat from one component doesn't impact another. So...my Bimby is on top of a Sony UDA-1 and the Valhalla 2 is on top an Emotiva amp with the Koss E-90 and SPS DAC 3 to the side of that.

I don't see how Modi Multibit would reduce the value of Bifrost Multibit. Surely Bimby is still the better product?
I haven't heard any of Schiit's Multibit DACs though, so I don't know if they are just too difficult to tell apart by sound alone.

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #25,077 of 150,494
I am one of those who was curious about the possibility of tone controls (and balance!) so I'm very happy with this product.

Looking at it though... the temptation for a Schiit stack is strong. And with all the options Schiit now offers, it looks like there's a need for a pre-amp that's a little more sophisticated than the SYS. .

An active preamp with three inputs in the mini form factor would be a pretty awesome thing. Visually it looks like there's room to stack RCA jacks vertically (or on the diagonal) so there's enough room for at least four pairs.

Far too small for the soon-to-be-requested processor loop of course, but if you're using Loki to adjust the specific sound for your headphones driven by the Magni 3, you might want to switch your listening between digital from the Modi 2, analog records through the Mani, and one other source - say your favourite CD player with no digital out, or an old cassette player or AM/FM tuner. As Jason pointed out, something like the SYS is passive and may not be the best choice, and only has two channels.

So: who else thinks a multi-channel active preamp in a SYS sized chassis would be a good idea?

I'm not sure that there is room for more RCAs on the SYS, especially if you make it active, which then means even less room on the back, but I would love an active, remote-controlled SYS, even if the number of ins and outs remain the same, and it seems like that would fit in the line-up, as right now there's a huge gap between SYS and Saga

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #25,078 of 150,494
I don't see how Modi Multibit would reduce the value of Bifrost Multibit. Surely Bimby is still the better product?
I haven't heard any of Schiit's Multibit DACs though, so I don't know if they are just too difficult to tell apart by sound alone.
I believe it's the same architecture with a better power supply in the Bimby. Many folks have said they sound very similar.

The upgradeability of Bifrost hasn't been any value to me personally but would be for folks that started with the base model. FWIW, the specs are nearly identical as well -- THD & S/N slightly better on Bimby and IMD better on the Mimby.

Who knows, maybe I'll just buy the Mimby for work and keep the Bimby. I can always create another listening station in another room! :L3000:

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #25,080 of 150,494

Yeah I'd normally have considered gumby before mjol2, but the whole point of the upgrade is because I fell in love with the mjol2 pairing with my HE-6. To get gumby whilst saving for another 6 months to get mjol2 is a tease too far for me. Maybe I'll drop to a modi like you suggest, I still have my modi 2 floating around :) I don't need or really care about the gumby, but if I'm upgrading the amp I'd prefer to have a matching stack than not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back