Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 27, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #25,051 of 149,306
I have the Jotunheim with DAC. It has a pre out. If it also would have had a power amp in, then I could have used the Loki. Oh well, at some future point I may have another rig (or add a standalone multibit DAC to the Jotunheim). Then I will look at the Loki.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #25,052 of 149,306
Se
Guess what.....
She just found out the Ragnarok is much more comfortable.
So now I have to think about a way to keep her off it because there the holes are real.
All suggestions are welcome.

Set a few strategically placed metal cones you find aesthetically pleasing and Constanza does not like dealing with there and you have a 6% chance of her cooperating and not laying there. These will also serve to ignite an endless discussion of such devices here on this thread when you post the pictures.:o2smile:

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #25,053 of 149,306
Set a few strategically placed metal cones you find aesthetically pleasing and Constanza does not like dealing with there and you have a 6% chance of her cooperating and not laying there. These will also serve to ignite an endless discussion of such devices here on this thread when you post the pictures.:o2smile:
Now that's a good one.
Big pointy platinum cones.
In no time it will be the new "have to do" for optimal sound.
Just like Pat Metheny's toothbrush.
Great.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #25,054 of 149,306
What you need is a small bed of nails...
bednails.gif

Also serves as a FM antenna....

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #25,056 of 149,306
Whoa... this is different animal... if yours is the one on the pic.. this is a much more complicated/advanced equalizer ... the parametric equalizer...

PS. my first post on any Schitt forum... (as a long time HF lurker...:) )

Welcome and yes, and believe me it's far from transparent. It is however very successful at coaxing a little thump out of the 8" woofers in the speakers out in the open air patio. Also a little something on the top end. So in it's particular job it's a winner.

My first Schiit was an original Lyr going on 5 years ago so I was a lurker for years before I got the nerve to post anything.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #25,057 of 149,306
How To Use An Equalizer for Home Stereo

1) Analytical method. Wear hearing protection. Set levels to reference, or 85dbSPL at the primary listening location. Using an appropriate room analyzer of your choice and your calibrated measurement mic at the primary listening location, ring your listening space and observe the FR curves of the space. Insert the EQ in the line-level analog signal path and use it to correct observed room modes or nulls. Cutting is normally better than boosting, and if you must boost do not exceed +6db to avoid clipping your amplifier. A graphic EQ (fixed bands and Q, like the Loki) is more difficult to use for this task than a Parametric EQ, but it can be used for large, approximate adjustments. After initial adjustment, repeat the above several times until the result looks like your desired room curve. If your analysis software is capable of real-time readings, this can make the job faster as the result can be directly observed while adjustments are being made.

2) Normal consumer method. Install the Loki in the line-level signal path. (This means between your source and your amplifier, preferably after the preamp or in a effects loop of the preamp if you have one.) Make sure it is within arms reach of your preferred listening spot. Turn on your system and put on some music you like. Listen. Fiddle with the knobs and listen to what they do. Fiddle until it sounds good to you. Play with the bypass switch to amaze yourself at the before and after. Fiddle more with each track, if you like, or just whenever you feel like it, or not at all. Enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #25,058 of 149,306
Houston, we have a problem. A real first world problem. I have a Magni 3, sitting on a Sys, sitting on an E-I-T-R sitting on a Gumby. The SYS is now the odd color/finish and seems out of place.

Schiit needs to sell update kits for all their older products in order to conform to the new and nicer finish. Or maybe in this case it would be cheaper to issue a Schiit Too.

I agree with the upgrade kit idea. My Modi 2 is still the painted steel. It does not look terrible, but if they sold a aluminum kit for like $15 I would buy it just to have the look consistent. It does not bother me much, but if it was a cheap upgrade I would be in.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #25,059 of 149,306
I agree with the upgrade kit idea. My Modi 2 is still the painted steel. It does not look terrible, but if they sold a aluminum kit for like $15 I would buy it just to have the look consistent. It does not bother me much, but if it was a cheap upgrade I would be in.

That's not a bad idea, just selling it separately for installation. I'd like a cosmetic upgrade for my SYS too

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #25,060 of 149,306
Guess what.....
So now I have to think about a way to keep her off it because there the holes are real.

Had the same problem, my solution was a raised cover (raised a good 1/2" so you still get convection cooling)

I bought a sheet of clear acrylic and 1" sorbothane hemispheres to use as stand offs, and it looks really nice, like a glass shelf!

EDIT: The sorbothane is ok but gummy and squishy, these stainless standoffs would be much better:
https://www.houzz.com/photos/482761...Sign-Standoffs-Set-of-4-1x1-modern-home-decor

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #25,064 of 149,306
Sep 27, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #25,065 of 149,306
Guess what.....

I like the raised stand-off idea, robust so it doesn't break down.
Or maybe a bit of catnip on the Yggy.
You have a crop growing on the patio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back