Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 28, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #25,081 of 150,721
Welcome and yes, and believe me it's far from transparent. It is however very successful at coaxing a little thump out of the 8" woofers in the speakers out in the open air patio. Also a little something on the top end. So in it's particular job it's a winner.

My first Schiit was an original Lyr going on 5 years ago so I was a lurker for years before I got the nerve to post anything.

:) I believe you.... nice to meet you in this thread... parametric equalizer seems as one of the most complex version of tone control (If I'm not wrong it consists of configurable low pass or high pass or band pass filter, followed by configurable band pass' filters then followed by gain/attenuation circuit...)... it would be very difficult if not impossible to make this at least three stages without reducing the quality of the signal).

Also I found that most of vintage hi-fi could not compete with modern ones, especially in term of transparency... probably limited by the parts technology at that time (i.e. the purity of the silicons)... probably their design language is different way back then...

I'll see which one the Schiit that I got at the end... :o2smile:

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #25,084 of 150,721
I look forward to the Loki Maxi, hopefully in the Gungnir/Mjolnir size chassis.

That would be a perfect size to gild that lily. Beyond that, a Yggdrasil/Ragnarok sized case could allow for a sophisticated, balanced in/out, all out assault along the likes of the Cello. A family of 3! Here's hoping Loki sales catch fire.

I'm going to get a sense of what a return to tone controls will be like with Loki, supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #25,085 of 150,721
I believe it's the same architecture with a better power supply in the Bimby. Many folks have said they sound very similar.

The upgradeability of Bifrost hasn't been any value to me personally but would be for folks that started with the base model. FWIW, the specs are nearly identical as well -- THD & S/N slightly better on Bimby and IMD better on the Mimby.

Who knows, maybe I'll just buy the Mimby for work and keep the Bimby. I can always create another listening station in another room! :L3000:

With Bimby you can upgrade to Gen 5 USB or buy a new one that already has Gen 5 USB. So if you use USB that would already be a significant Bimby upgrade over the Mimby.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #25,087 of 150,721
I am one of those who was curious about the possibility of tone controls (and balance!) so I'm very happy with this product.

Looking at it though... the temptation for a Schiit stack is strong. And with all the options Schiit now offers, it looks like there's a need for a pre-amp that's a little more sophisticated than the SYS. .

An active preamp with three inputs in the mini form factor would be a pretty awesome thing. Visually it looks like there's room to stack RCA jacks vertically (or on the diagonal) so there's enough room for at least four pairs.

Far too small for the soon-to-be-requested processor loop of course, but if you're using Loki to adjust the specific sound for your headphones driven by the Magni 3, you might want to switch your listening between digital from the Modi 2, analog records through the Mani, and one other source - say your favourite CD player with no digital out, or an old cassette player or AM/FM tuner. As Jason pointed out, something like the SYS is passive and may not be the best choice, and only has two channels.

So: who else thinks a multi-channel active preamp in a SYS sized chassis would be a good idea?

Yes, I would like a 3 input Sys as well, 1 for Modi (PC and CD player), 1 for Mani, and 1 for Cassette deck.

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #25,088 of 150,721
Yes, but you can also buy the Eitr to use with the Mimby.

Good point. However I would still pick Bimby for not much more money than that Eitr + Mimby. Would not need to plug in two walwarts into your power conditioner which can take up to 4 outlets vs. one single power chord with Bimby taking one outlet. Also the power supply on Bimby is better making it especially better if using with speakers that have deep bass according to a post from Baldr. And if another multibit upgrade comes then Bimby sound will separate from Mimby even more. Also Bimby stacks so well with the amps of its size. It think Mimby is a great product especially if it is all you can afford. However I personally believe Bimby is a better option if you can afford it.

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #25,089 of 150,721
Now here's an improvement a cannot keep secret.
It really works.
Sorry for the dust but I'm in the midst of a renovation.

AntiCatSchiit.jpg

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #25,090 of 150,721
Good point. However I would still pick Bimby for not much more money than that Eitr + Mimby. Would not need to plug in two walwarts into your power conditioner which can take up to 4 outlets vs. one single power chord with Bimby taking one outlet. Also the power supply on Bimby is better making it especially better if using with speakers that have deep bass according to a post from Baldr. And if another multibit upgrade comes then Bimby sound will separate from Mimby even more. Also Bimby stacks so well with the amps of its size. It think Mimby is a great product especially if it is all you can afford. However I personally believe Bimby is a better option if you can afford it.

That's what Cthulu is for

http://www.schiit.com/products/floor-wart

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #25,091 of 150,721
Now here's an improvement a cannot keep secret.
It really works.
Sorry for the dust but I'm in the midst of a renovation.

Looks brutal. Does it keep the kitty off the electronics?

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #25,092 of 150,721
With Bimby you can upgrade to Gen 5 USB or buy a new one that already has Gen 5 USB. So if you use USB that would already be a significant Bimby upgrade over the Mimby.
Yeah...just use Coax...otherwise that'd be a benefit.

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #25,095 of 150,721

Admittedly that is cool. However the cost delta is now even less and you still have a massive walwart that will cover at least 2 outlets. But if you already had a Mimby and then got the Eitr and then the Cthulu, you will still have a excellent digital solution that will be compact on your desk and sound great. And if you only use coax say with a FiiO DAP then Mimby is the best value.

By they way I use a NAD DAC 2 for wireless Coax to my Bimby. Plug the transmitter into your USB and it transmits up to 24 bit 96hz to a little box with a coax output to your DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back