Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 21, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #24,721 of 149,748
So I'm taking out the trash and find a bunch of sheets in the can. I ask the Sicilian what's up with that.

She icily stares at me and replies, "They are 15 years old and have been sitting in the basement collecting dust. They are history. AND DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT TOUCHING THEM!!!"

I check them out. The Brain turns on. A few hours later, "Proof of Concept" is in place in the new listening/reading room:

IMG_7380.jpg

4'X2'X2" Rockwool 60 custom bass traps for the rear wall to compliment the GIK corner traps.

Ain't they beauties???

Now I just have to come up with a cool high def JPEG/TIFF for GIK to build me the definitive Acoustic Art triptych using the image across the three panels.

Little Jotty is SO happy!!!!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #24,725 of 149,748
So I'm taking out the trash and find a bunch of sheets in the can. I ask the Sicilian what's up with that.

She icily stares at me and replies, "They are 15 years old and have been sitting in the basement collecting dust. They are history. AND DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT TOUCHING THEM!!!"

I check them out. The Brain turns on. A few hours later, "Proof of Concept" is in place in the new listening/reading room:

4'X2'X2" Rockwool 60 custom bass traps for the rear wall to compliment the GIK corner traps.

Ain't they beauties???

Now I just have to come up with a cool high def JPEG/TIFF for GIK to build me the definitive Acoustic Art triptych using the image across the three panels.

Little Jotty is SO happy!!!!

Wow man, that is a very nice setup. I told my fiance there's only two things I want in a house; A garage/barn/workshop big enough for multiple project cars and a dedicated theater/music room, the rest is up to her discretion. Thankfully she has agreed to these terms. We are getting married in two weeks so hopefully it wont be long before we buy said house. :beerchug:

edit: What are those chairs? I would love something similar for my living room.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #24,727 of 149,748
GIK acoustic engineers signed off on the setup. They didn't think the loaded bookcase would create any significant issues since the lower rear bass traps have scatter plates in them to keep things from getting too deadened in the highs. So the book case somewhat mimics that.

Gotta have some place in the room to put all my audio and guitar books as well as the wife's stuff!
Recliners are Ekornes Stressless. Phenomenal but expensive- but worth every penny!

Opposite end houses a Sonos/Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 with Room Perfect software feeding LS50s and my Gumby feeding the Jot over 25 foot balanced cables.
Room Perfect is just amazing. Totally dusts the Anthem ARC system in my basement theater.
This room project has shown me that room correction is the number one most massive benefit you need to pursue and totally outweighs the sonic benefits from component swaps.
The LS50s sounded like ass prior to correction. Now they are as sweet as in my near field office Mini/Yggy/Rag/LS50 setup.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #24,728 of 149,748
Is there any reason you don't have power on / off switches on the front? (and possible gain switch too) Especially on the Jotunheim and magni.
Reason given by Jason in the past: The switch is next to the power inlet to avoid running power all across the print to the front and back creating noise/interference.
The easy fix is to connect the schiits you switch on and off to one powerstrip and the ones you leave on to another. Be creative and customise your setup. By prioritising Soundquality over general convenience everyone wins. I my oppinion an elegant solution.

I would agree that there is a high likelihood that something else digital is coming soon...
50/50 :wink: According to Mikes whife his working hours extends well into the night. I had the pleasure of meeting her on my pilgrimage to the schiitr. She asked if there were anything missing on the walls/shelves in the 2ch listening room. When I wished for more physical media cd/lp's :dvd::cd:she emediately caught the idea and said they might have some they could spare at home. Sorry Mike :hushed:

Unless I'm crazy there was a certain reference in Jason's chapter about Magni 3 that has since been edited out. An anomaly, a slip or a sneaky hint at what's coming on the 26th? Who knows?
What was that? I'm missed that.

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #24,729 of 149,748
This room project has shown me that room correction is the number one most massive benefit you need to pursue and totally outweighs the sonic benefits from component swaps.

I noticed a similar night & day improvement with a Pioneer stereo in my car that offers environment calibration with a plug in microphone. You tape the mic where your head is and then get out of the car and it equalizes by playing white noise and measures the timing with tapping noises.

It somehow made my 4 poorly positioned car speakers sound like a properly placed 2 channel setup!

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #24,730 of 149,748
I noticed a similar night & day improvement with a Pioneer stereo in my car that offers environment calibration with a plug in microphone. You tape the mic where your head is and then get out of the car and it equalizes by playing white noise and measures the timing with tapping noises.

It somehow made my 4 poorly positioned car speakers sound like a properly placed 2 channel setup!
That is amazing.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #24,731 of 149,748
Hey Loud speaker guys, what do you think of these? Apparently it is a kit..

They made me think of the AMAZING (top3 4life) Garlic/Herb SpicyFries they served with the not so interesting burger (unless you love lots of melted cheese, fried unions in sweet sauce and no fresh vegetable except a little rucola) they served in the alehouse around the corner from the Schiitr.
IMG_1117.JPG

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #24,732 of 149,748
They made me think of the AMAZING (top3 4life) Garlic/Herb SpicyFries they served with the not so interesting burger (unless you love lots of melted cheese, fried unions in sweet sauce and no fresh vegetable except a little rucola) they served in the alehouse around the corner from the Schiitr.

Lol, this is awesome. :call_me:

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #24,733 of 149,748
Another Vidar experience point to add to the list. My Vidar arrived yesterday. Didn't think it would be so long, the speaker outputs stick out very far making it unwieldy in some shelves. So after some cutting, powered her up. Got maybe 10 sec of music before it cuts off. I didn't think it was from overheating so I grab my multi-meter to check for shorts and DC volts. No shorts in the speaker cable and the DC volts on the RCA's read 0.0021 right and 0.0051 left. I consider this low but for the Vidar, maybe not so much. Tried the right RCA into each of the sides and the Vidar didn't cut off. Tried the left RCA into each of the inputs and it cuts out each time. Being impatient and wanting to listen to my new purchase I put some 3db Harrison attenuators on and powered it up. Ran all last night with no problems.
Sounds like ass though. Not an improvement over the cheap PE amp that it replaced. I A/B thru 2 albums then decided to let it play in the background for the rest of the night to see if it trips again. My setup is Blusound Node 2 => Bimby => 300b preamp =>Vidar=>MMG's. I'm a firm believer in "break in" so I'm going to email Schiit on the High DC offset and continue my 15 day audition with the hopes that either the sound improves or a solution to the DC offset trip is found.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #24,734 of 149,748

What unit, specifically? I have the Pioneer DEH PRS80. It has this capability, but I have not yet tried it. I may have to try and see.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #24,735 of 149,748
What unit, specifically? I have the Pioneer DEH PRS80. It has this capability, but I have not yet tried it. I may have to try and see.
The NEX 4100, I think a lot of their units have the "AutoEQ" feature. It actually sets the equalizer, crossovers, and time alignment. I always tweak the eq and crossover afterwards but the time alignment is what does the magic imaging effect.

Here's an interesting post from a guy who says it sounds better if you sit inside the car while it calibrates! (I'm going to try this)
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...mprove-your-calibration-little-few-cents.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back