Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 5, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #23,221 of 151,548
Aug 5, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #23,222 of 151,548
I am still really enjoying my Freya/Vidar combo driving my Salk HT2-TL's. I agree, the comments have really slowed down but maybe that is because people are enjoying their new equipment. The Salk speakers I have are also 4 ohm and the single Vidar has no problems driving them. Imagining is great and the bass is correct. Impactful when it is supposed to be, tuneful and distinct without bloat or thud, Vocals are really amazing and on well recorded material, singers are in the room. I get a tremendous amount of volume and have not turned the knob past 2 o'clock in a 13 x 27 ft. room. As I stated in a previous post the Schiit gear will not improve a bad recordings but will also not make them unlistenable. I agree with other comments that of "neutral but on the warm side". Maybe in the future I will buy another VIdar and try the monoblock configuration but I am not feeing the need at the moment. For the price it is hard to beat. I

Dear FaIM:

Thank you for your response/input...and thank you for providing not only some impression details, but also the context/components on which your evaluation was based...(wondering about the efficiency of your "Salk's", and whether a pair of Vidars would still see your Salks' impedance as benign... because I am still leaning toward dual mono-blocks, (so as to maximize flexibility in amp. placement/ wires, efficiency, etc...), and, "horror of horror's", have been researching a few
"D" class amps...specifically Hypex modules...in particular, the NORD amps...(where one can change out the op amp from a clearer/brighter one to a warmer/darker one... :-O ...and the "NORD'S" can drive 2 ohm impedances...

P.S. For what it is worth, If I knew for certain that a pair of Vidars would drive any impedance-range speakers I might want to use, (including my current Lipinski's), a pair of the Vidars would be a no brainer, as I would know that they were designed to mate well with the Freya that I now use...and I certainly would love to use the balanced output that the Freya offers...

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #23,224 of 151,548
Dear Jason,

If 79% here agree would you at least consider this line of thought: Regarding poor little Xappie the electrostatic amp that bit the dust in 2016. Consider also in 2016 the new normal for the price of headphones became $4K!! Proclaimed life changing by some even though they can't seem to be produced with proper uniformity. No sooner did this happen and voila, the new planar bargain has a $6K price tag. Point being if you put together an even more end game Schiit bargain in a Yggy/Rag chassis for say $1,979.00 and they positively light up, for instance, the electrostats from another fine California company that I think a lot are waiting and hoping to be "affordable" in a relative sense, most surely the amp would find a nice size market for itself in the electrostatic niche. The Niflheim.

You wouldn't sell a zillion, but you would be making a statement and that's publicity.:L3000:

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #23,225 of 151,548

Cool. I look forward to reading it. I just ordered one today. The USB port on my Gungnir just bit the dust a few weeks ago, so while I "wait in queue" to send it in for a Gen 5 USB/Multibit upgrade, I thought I would re-connect Gungnir back into the system using Eitr and a SPDIF cable. Just ordered Eitr this morning, and bought a Shunyata Venom "open box" digital coax RCA cable for $89 (vs. retail of $199) at Music Direct. I'll use Eitr to connect via SPDIF until its time to send Gungnir in, which at this rate, looks like it will be 4-6 weeks from now. My Modi 2 Uber sounds good, but not as good as Loki, and certainly not as good as Gungnir.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #23,227 of 151,548
I really do not under stand the whole leaving crap/Schiit on all night and all day. I think the entire burn in ritual is just that: A ritual. Rote. Foo foo. Silly. I under stand that it harms no one but neither do my observations regarding same and yet some will decry it as tho' I had desecrated sacred ground. Merde alors,
I guess I just was not made for these times nor for much else that is going on in venues such as this.

I can not fathom, much less get in to the whole subjective BS. Motorcycles suck too.

What...Later.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #23,228 of 151,548
I really do not under stand the whole leaving ****/Schiit on all night and all day. I think the entire burn in ritual is just that: A ritual. Rote. Foo foo. Silly. I under stand that it harms no one but neither do my observations regarding same and yet some will decry it as tho' I had desecrated sacred ground. Merde alors,
I guess I just was not made for these times nor for much else that is going on in venues such as this.

I can not fathom, much less get in to the whole subjective BS. Motorcycles suck too.

What...Later.

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #23,229 of 151,548
I really do not under stand the whole leaving ****/Schiit on all night and all day. I think the entire burn in ritual is just that: A ritual. Rote. Foo foo. Silly. I under stand that it harms no one but neither do my observations regarding same and yet some will decry it as tho' I had desecrated sacred ground. Merde alors,

What...Later.

The best part is burn-in champions don't realize products are tested for several hours if not days at the manufacturers. Do you really need to leave it on even more hours not enjoying it?

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #23,230 of 151,548
The best part is burn-in champions don't realize products are tested for several hours if not days at the manufacturers. Do you really need to leave it on even more hours not enjoying it?
This has nothing to do with burn in. Schiit has recommended in the manuals that Yggy and Vidar should remain on... all the time. My question about the Freya is about leaving it all all the time or repeatedly turning it on/off as needed and any potential impact to the tubes. I don't wish to turn off any device if I don't have to.

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #23,231 of 151,548

What...Later.

Breath deeply and repeat - "not everyone thinks the same things as me..."

It's okay, really. You can believe or do whatever you want. So can the rest of us. Relax, no one is judging you.

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #23,232 of 151,548
This has nothing to do with burn in. Schiit has recommended in the manuals that Yggy and Vidar should remain on... all the time. My question about the Freya is about leaving it all all the time or repeatedly turning it on/off as needed and any potential impact to the tubes. I don't wish to turn off any device if I don't have to.
As a general rule anything with tubes should be powered off when not used to extend tube life. However, use your discretion as I'll leave my tube amps on if I leave for an hour or two but I also listen for 10+ hours a day so the ratio of listening to having it on and unused is quite low.

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #23,233 of 151,548
I really do not under stand the whole leaving ****/Schiit on all night and all day. I think the entire burn in ritual

With Schiit's R2R DACs, with any R2R DACs, it's not necessarily about burn-in, it's about warm-up. And optimal operating temperatures. These devices settle within their INL/DNL specs only when reaching optimal temps. The differences can be perceived, but can also be small. If you don't notice them, in your system, more power to you. If you do, leave them DACs on and forget about it. Either way, take a deep breath, and leave others be.

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #23,234 of 151,548
I really do not under stand the whole leaving ****/Schiit on all night and all day. I think the entire burn in ritual is just that: A ritual. Rote. Foo foo. Silly.
snip

What...Later.
If there is no difference to YOUR ears then it IS "Foo foo. Silly.", for you.

Others, as has been repeatedly noted, have different experiences, myself included.
We all have unique expectations, with desirable traits we pay attention to, in the music we hear.

If you don't have to worry about needing, to even have to deal with, these picky-picky details in the first place, you win.
But that doesn't mean that those who do pay attention, don't win as well.

It's a hobby where we each can tailor the system to meet our unique wants/needs/requirements.

And really if M/C's suck too, then perhaps an attitude adjustment would be the most efficacious.

JJ

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #23,235 of 151,548
If there is no difference to YOUR ears then it IS "Foo foo. Silly.", for you.

Others, as has been repeatedly noted, have different experiences, myself included.
We all have unique expectations, with desirable traits we pay attention to, in the music we hear.

If you don't have to worry about needing, to even have to deal with, these picky-picky details in the first place, you win.
But that doesn't mean that those who do pay attention, don't win as well.

It's a hobby where we each can tailor the system to meet our unique wants/needs/requirements.

And really if M/C's suck too, then perhaps an attitude adjustment would be the most efficacious.

JJ

Whatever you DO hear is just as irrelevant to discuss as the things he doesnt want to hear.
In fact, it might be better to just stop discussing what we think we hear alltogether so nobody can get offended.

Discarding his point of view as not paying attention, is just as rude as stating burn-in rituals are FooFoo.
He doesnt say you shouldn`t do it. He states he thinks it`s silly.
So if he is silly for stating it`s silly, anyone stating it`s not silly is actually just as silly.
Because as you state: We all have unique expectations, with desirable traits we pay attention to, in the music we hear.
See how silly this gets?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back