Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 4, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #23,195 of 149,075
Aug 4, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #23,202 of 149,075

2017, Chapter 10:
Failures and Flyers

On to the Flyers

Well, sorry to disappoint you, but there wasn’t a whole lot of market research, focus groups, or grand strategic alignment going on. A lot of what we do is by gut feel. And Jil and Sol felt right. I’ll get into more of the reasons for that below, but consider:
  • Jil fit into a standard-sized chassis. It used many, many common parts, including our standard USB interface. Making a thousand Jils to see how they go isn’t a big deal. If they go, they go. If they don’t, we get another cake, as with Loki.
  • Sol was a huge departure, but we kept coming back to it. And it was really, really different—a chance to shake things up. And after the initial investment for two expensive casting tools, it really wasn’t all that costly or complex. If Sol falls flat, yep, we’re out the investment in the tooling, but we’ve absorbed bigger jolts without a hitch.

Speaking of Loki, I'm listening to mine right now as my (now USB-dead) Gungnir waits in the queue for a USB Gen 5/Multibit upgrade. Loki is still an incredibly good-sounding DAC, now even more so when used with Roon and a Sonore microRendu and Ultracap LPS-1 power supply. Too bad it didn't work out as a sales success to remain in production from a business perspective, but godd*m, it's still an amazing-sounding DAC. I'm glad I still have mine...

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #23,203 of 149,075
Speaking of Loki, I'm listening to mine right now as my (now USB-dead) Gungnir waits in the queue for a USB Gen 5/Multibit upgrade. Loki is still an incredibly good-sounding DAC, now even more so when used with Roon and a Sonore microRendu and Ultracap LPS-1 power supply. Too bad it didn't work out as a sales success to remain in production from a business perspective, but godd*m, it's still an amazing-sounding DAC. I'm glad I still have mine...
Mine ain't goin' anywhere either, an amazing DSD DAC for the money.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #23,204 of 149,075
100% agree. Loki punches WAY, WAY, WAY above it's price-class. By like an order of magnitude. It blows the $1200 Wadia 121 I used to have completely into weeds (but then, a Gen 1 Bifrost did too). I've got over150 DSD albums on my music server, and it's really nice to be able to listen to them on Loki.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back