Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 4, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #23,206 of 148,994
That just reads like so much pseudo-science. I'm hoping I'm just missing the sarcasm via text.
Ya know what the 3rd or 4th step (depending on how you count them) in the empirical method is?

Observation.
It is the feedback loop to refine the testing procedure to obtain consistent, reliable, repeatable, and accurate results.

Without observation there is no science, in fact without observation all you have left is pseudo-science.

Just a few more thoughts to consider.

JJ

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #23,207 of 148,994
It is the feedback loop to refine the testing procedure to obtain consistent, reliable, repeatable, and accurate results.

Let me know when we start getting all of the above in the world of audio (I'm not talking about measurements).

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #23,208 of 148,994
Ya know what the 3rd or 4th step (depending on how you count them) in the empirical method is?

Observation.

Without observation there is no science, in fact without observation all you have left is pseudo-science.

Just a few more thoughts to consider.

JJ
In the program I went through in college (a science based, not engineering based program) we had a required course specifically for "Scientific Observational Skills". a full semester 4 credit course to learn and understand trained, scientific, objective observational skills. Surprisingly, no "double blind tests" were used. One of the most valuable courses I took, and I used , developed and honed those skills in my profession over the next 30+ years.

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #23,209 of 148,994
It seems like the 'skill' (methodology applied and employed) of observing, is overlooked as the essential requirement for gathering results from which to evaluate the DUT (device under test).
So the short one time experience and subsequent summation of the nature of a piece of gear is ofttimes rather misleading, and is usually rather shallow.

And as has been noted, the only real way to tell the true nature of a new piece of gear is over the long term and under differing conditions.

There are of course exceptions, especially when the 'new' gear is crap, broken, or operates intermittently.

And of course observing the operation and behavior, over time, is required in order to make comprehensive qualitative judgements based upon the subjective value of the observed traits.
IOW it takes time, experience and exposure to become familiar 'enough', with a new piece of gear in order to fully assess its nature, which in turn means it takes repeated observation(s).

Pseudo-science is the result of taking short cuts, in any number of a variety of ways of the empirical method, and making poor or incomplete observations is a quick and dirty short cut in and of itself.
It is also one of, if not the, 'easiest' way to 'contaminate' an experiment.

JJ

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #23,210 of 148,994
93.4% of the users on this forum would agree with you.
Where did you get that photo of me?

423934_l

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #23,213 of 148,994
Where did you get that photo of me?

423934_l

LOL I was bored at work on my lunch so I whipped it up in Photoshop. Took longer than I care to admit... the subtle shading, the left side wire... but its a keeper now!

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #23,216 of 148,994
It appears to me that reflections upon/reviews(?) of the newer Schiit Audio products, i.e. Vidar, Eiter, etc....have grown rather quiet, if not almost dead silent...on this thread...Have those products now acquired their own threads...?...and IF so, what may they be entitled?...

If not, would anyone using/owning(?) said products wish to weigh-in regarding their current experience/impressions of these components...?...I received my Eiter one week ago, and am curious regarding others' impressions...

AND... STILL considering a Vidar, (or two), to drive either:

A pair of "Lipinski Sound" L-707 monitors, 4 Ohm impedance, (currently owned and in use, driven by an Aragon 4004 amp)...

And/Or, prospectively, a pair of "Audience" Clairaudient 1+1 V2+ speakers, crossover-less, "single" driver design, (dual 3" drivers, plus dual 4" passive radiators), 8 Ohm impedance...

Anyone wish to offer their $0.02/two sense...???... :) ...

Thank you...I look forward to your feedback...

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #23,217 of 148,994
It appears to me that reflections upon/reviews(?) of the newer Schiit Audio products, i.e. Vidar, Eiter, etc....have grown rather quiet, if not almost dead silent...on this thread...Have those products now acquired their own threads...?...and IF so, what may they be entitled?...

If not, would anyone using/owning(?) said products wish to weigh-in regarding their current experience/impressions of these components...?...I received my Eiter one week ago, and am curious regarding others' impressions...

A pair of "Lipinski Sound" L-707 monitors, 4 Ohm impedance, (currently owned and in use, driven by an Aragon 4004 amp)...

And/Or, prospectively, a pair of "Audience" Clairaudient 1+1 V2+ speakers, crossover-less, "single" driver design, (dual 3" drivers, plus dual 4" passive radiators), 8 Ohm impedance...

I am still really enjoying my Freya/Vidar combo driving my Salk HT2-TL's. I agree, the comments have really slowed down but maybe that is because people are enjoying their new equipment. The Salk speakers I have are also 4 ohm and the single Vidar has no problems driving them. Imagining is great and the bass is correct. Impactful when it is supposed to be, tuneful and distinct without bloat or thud, Vocals are really amazing and on well recorded material, singers are in the room. I get a tremendous amount of volume and have not turned the knob past 2 o'clock in a 13 x 27 ft. room. As I stated in a previous post the Schiit gear will not improve a bad recordings but will also not make them unlistenable. I agree with other comments that of "neutral but on the warm side". Maybe in the future I will buy another VIdar and try the monoblock configuration but I am not feeing the need at the moment. For the price it is hard to beat. I

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #23,218 of 148,994

I posted my impressions of the Eitr here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-265#post-13640852

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #23,219 of 148,994
My 2 ch Schiit stack is now complete am in the process of warming everything up. Leaving my Yggy and 2 Vidar's on per Schiit's recommendations. Also leaving the Freya turned on. My question... when the system is not in use, I obviously turn the volume all the way down, but should I change the Freya setting from Tube to passive or JFET or leave it on Tube? @Ableza, I believe you stated, and I agree, the frequent on/off cycles may lead to quicker tube issues than just leaving it on all the time. In the Freya's architecture, will going back/forth from Tube to JFET/Passive result in a similar result?

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #23,220 of 148,994
My 2 ch Schiit stack is now complete am in the process of warming everything up. Leaving my Yggy and 2 Vidar's on per Schiit's recommendations. Also leaving the Freya turned on. My question... when the system is not in use, I obviously turn the volume all the way down, but should I change the Freya setting from Tube to passive or JFET or leave it on Tube? @Ableza, I believe you stated, and I agree, the frequent on/off cycles may lead to quicker tube issues than just leaving it on all the time. In the Freya's architecture, will going back/forth from Tube to JFET/Passive result in a similar result?

Don't leave Freya on or you will burn through tubes much more quickly no matter what mode you set her to. I leave my Freya and Mjolnir 2 off until it is time to use them. If you use Freya on and off all day, maybe it makes sense to leave Freya on all day...but turn her off at night.

Yggdrasil and Vidar stay on all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back