Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #17,401 of 153,411
  Could this be the REDACTED?

Nope, that's a neon eyeball.....    
atsmile.gif

The [REDACTED] has been redacted..........    
blink.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #17,403 of 153,411

When it comes to meters, nixie tubes, touchscreens, magic eyes or anything else that is basically fluff (albeit fun and stylish fluff,) the key to understanding Jason's approach can be found in the cover photo for this book.

It shows Jason's charming wife assembling units on the hood of a 1970 (69?) Mustang in their garage. A car with very little gingerbread, incorporating only what's needed to get down the road briskly. Comfort and gee-whiz technology weren't a priority.

Of course that was nearly half a century ago. But if you question the validity and enduring appeal of the concept, check out the prices of Boss 302s, Mach 1s, GT350s (or GTOs, Z28s, HemiCudas, etc.) in today's market.

All of which means we won't see a Vidar with meters (not even a special Big Mac edition with blue meter faces in a black case, c'mon Jason, just for Schiits and Grins?) or a Freya with a magic eye. Guess we'll just have to settle for excellent sound. How will we survive?

They are cool  for a minute, I prefer My tubes in an amp or preamp. Do not be mistaken, I don't ever want to see the day when Jason is Making Nixie Clocks and Mike is Making Deep Fryers.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #17,404 of 153,411

​Tidal is primarily owned by a cRap farteest. I refuse to support cRap.   That MQA has aligned it self with the likes of JayZ and Be-Once and wants to be the one ring of the music world to bind us all, I shall simply avoid it as best I can.

I think Madonna is involved also.  None of them will get a penny from me.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #17,407 of 153,411
Feb 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #17,408 of 153,411
I don't know how but I found myself on another thread talking about MQA. Not to be redundant or stir that up more but this study seems it may fit well here as it goes in to detail about Delta Sigma Vs (Obsolete) Multibit. Oh yeah and DSD issues as well. My non engineer thoughts based on this are a Multi Bit ADC may minimize the need to "deblur" in the first place.

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Lib/SACD.pdf 

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #17,409 of 153,411

*WARNING*
Long,  probably pointless, post follows. Read further on your own responsibility. Your time cannot be refunded.

Magic eye tubes have a significance for me. At a long-ago garage sale, I scored a Fisher tuner/preamp. It was many pounds of mid-50s all-American luxury, complete with deluxe plastic knobs and of course the magic eye to help home in on your FM station with jet-age precision. And it worked! Used to run it into the power amp every so often just for fun. Sounded wonderfully tubey - like martinis and tiki torches and Deano, or maybe I'm just being nostalgic.

Back then I was a newspaper reporter. Got assigned to profile a local who'd donated some fantastically significant piece of electronica to the Smithsonian Institution and been awarded a Certificate of Appreciation or some such. Can't recall exactly what he provided - might have been a NOS dashboard radio for a Tucker. Or maybe that was just one of the treasures in his collection. Much of his house was an Aladdin's Cave of vintage gear. His particular passion was amateur radios, with perhaps two dozen working sets including some 1930s German units. As you might expect of a ham radio guy, he was more than a little strange. Friendly enough, even jovial. Good interview. But I don't think I would have had him look after my kids. In his library, he even had the owner's manual for my Fisher find. Later, I gifted the thing to him - figured he'd enjoy it more than me.

Months went by. Got a call to the newsroom. Someone had committed a rather spectacular suicide on one of our major commercial streets. Seems a man had laid down with his head just in front of the right rear tires of a parked semi truck. So when the driver eased away...

When me and the photog got there, all that could be seen was a blanket with two running shoe-clad feet sticking out from one end. The other end was flat where it should not have been. And no shortage of blood. Next day local law enforcement released his identity; it was that same radio collector. Guess the static in his head finally got to be too much. Or could he have spent too long staring into that unblinking magic eye tube that I'd put in his home?

Now, I wonder what happened to his collection. Could imagine his wife trashing the lot in a fit or grief and rage. Or maybe his kids have been selling it off on Ebay. Some of those pieces would be worth real money these days.

Hopefully, this tale won't discourage anyone from collecting old equipment, or reviving the magic eye tube. After all, it's the magic eye - not the evil eye.

Or is it? 

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #17,411 of 153,411

Hopefully, this tale won't discourage anyone from collecting old equipment, or reviving the magic eye tube. After all, it's the magic eye - not the evil eye.

Or is it? 

Great story.  I am trying to get rid of all the old junk so you haven't dissuaded me.  I wouldn't mind a nixie tube clock or a magic eye.  I was just fascinated with those magic eyes back in the 50s.   

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #17,412 of 153,411
interesting development. This was put up at the highresaudio.com twitter and facebook pages. Then taken down:

"From highresaudio.com

Breaking News: HIGHRESAUDIO to stop offering MQA. Proprietary system solutions and licensing models aren't what customers want. MQA is NOT lossless, the original signal is never recovered, estimate to recover at most 17bits (reduces the sampling rate), reduces the frequency range, SNR reduced by 3bit, aliasing with artifacts at 18kHz. MQA encoding filters manipulate drastically the original source. No analysis tools are available to verify the encoded MQA content. Therefore no quality control is possible. highresaudio.com stands for offering purity, original mastering source, none manipulated, tweaked or up-sampled content and codecs that are widely supported and offer use of freedom.

We hope that MQA will adjust all the above issues. We are truly disappointed, the way MQA has progressed in the past year. We have been mislead and blinded by trust and promises."      

Users who are viewing this thread

Back