Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #17,431 of 151,793
I have a question about the Vidars as monoblocks for 4ohm single coil speakers. If I decide to go the Schiity way and get me 2 Vidars, I cannot use the XLR connection right? In other words, Vidar monos + Freya pre although may be a sweet combination would only make sense for biwired speakers?

That's quite sad, I am torn between two excellent options of speakers - Dynaudios and Harbeths. Unfortunately neither of them seem to benefit of the Vidars - it's too much power for the Harbeths, and the Dynaudios can't make use the balanced connectors which defeat the purpose of the monoblocks.

Or have I overlooked something?

Based on the prototype pic Jason posted before as well as some other information last month, you can either use Vidar in monoblock architecture with XLR only.  If you want to power 2 speakers with 1 Vidar, then you'll have to use single-ended.  So in reading your post, you will be fine except for one caveat which is Schiit will not be supporting 4 Ohm speakers in monoblock.  It will work of course, but that's effectively ~400Wrms into each channel.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #17,433 of 151,793
Now I am confused?
Will I be able to use 2 Vidars  as monoblocks to drive Magnepan 1.7i's

Please explain.
Thanks Ken

They are not technically officially supported into your low impedance rating. My opinion is that they will work fine for intermittent high current draws but are under heatsinked for continuous 1/3 output into 4 ohms and will trip their thermal protection circuit if placed on a CONTINUOUS resistive load.

I will get my pair for 4 ohm speakers as well. ASAP.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #17,434 of 151,793
I have a question about the Vidars as monoblocks for 4ohm single coil speakers. If I decide to go the Schiity way and get me 2 Vidars, I cannot use the XLR connection right? In other words, Vidar monos + Freya pre although may be a sweet combination would only make sense for biwired speakers?

That's quite sad, I am torn between two excellent options of speakers - Dynaudios and Harbeths. Unfortunately neither of them seem to benefit of the Vidars - it's too much power for the Harbeths, and the Dynaudios can't make use the balanced connectors which defeat the purpose of the monoblocks.

You can use a pair of Vidar's in mono block configuration with either set of speakers you have. It is not uncommon to have an amp that puts out more power than a speaker is rated for, so long as you are not playing the system very loud, so your Harbeth's would be fine. The balanced connection is between the Freya and Vidar, and does not have anything to do with the connection to the speaker, in this case your Dynaudio's.

You can use either pair of speakers with a pair of mono block Vidar's without concern.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #17,435 of 151,793

Have never heard Harbeth but have been a long term fan of Dynaudio.

Also considering Yiggy/Freya/Vidar.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #17,436 of 151,793
Should note that Freya may be a stumbling block for me. I don't like tinkering much and tubes add a measure of "Is my pre amp ever sounding its best?" uncertainty to the equation. Then again I want a pre with balanced inputs and outputs.

Whether Freya/Vidar is an important enough over my NAIM setup also remains to be seen.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #17,437 of 151,793
Very happy to have found Schiit. Originally, I was looking for a quality DAC at a reasonable price, after a lot of Googling and forum reading, I ended up buying the Modi Multibit a few months ago. And then in the last few weeks, I finally purchased a tube preamp, I have always wanted to try one. Again, Schiit was the answer, just got my Freya last week
biggrin.gif

My 2.0 channel system consists of: Dell Laptop with all my CD's burned lossless & Onkyo 6 disc DVD changer as CD transport>Modi Multibit>Freya>Citation 5.1 Amp (bridged dual mono)>Mirage M3si speakers. Audioquest Ruby interconnects used throughout.

One last thing I want to do is try some different tubes. I have been reading as much as I can in forums on what to get/try and where to get it, but before last week I knew nothing about them. 

I came across someone saying they really liked the sound of the "Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB"(actually, he didn't say GTB, but I think that is what new prod ones come as) and I also saw where those Tung-Sols were described as having "extended bass and highs", my 50 year old ears could use a bit of a boost in the highs and my room eats up bass, so no complaints about "extended bass". But I am not having a lot of luck with some questions. Do I want low noise tubes, or high gain, or balanced triodes... I know I want matched sets, but do those other things make any difference? I have no real problem opting for all those options, unless somehow they can be detrimental. 

And secondly, finding a reputable dealer. I had 1st come across TubeDepot, I like the way their page is set up, very straight forward, but reseller rating gives them very poor reviews, so now I am not sure I want to try them...

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #17,440 of 151,793
  Very happy to have found Schiit. Originally, I was looking for a quality DAC at a reasonable price, after a lot of Googling and forum reading, I ended up buying the Modi Multibit a few months ago. And then in the last few weeks, I finally purchased a tube preamp, I have always wanted to try one. Again, Schiit was the answer, just got my Freya last week
biggrin.gif

My 2.0 channel system consists of: Dell Laptop with all my CD's burned lossless & Onkyo 6 disc DVD changer as CD transport>Modi Multibit>Freya>Citation 5.1 Amp (bridged dual mono)>Mirage M3si speakers. Audioquest Ruby interconnects used throughout.

One last thing I want to do is try some different tubes. I have been reading as much as I can in forums on what to get/try and where to get it, but before last week I knew nothing about them. 

I came across someone saying they really liked the sound of the "Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB"(actually, he didn't say GTB, but I think that is what new prod ones come as) and I also saw where those Tung-Sols were described as having "extended bass and highs", my 50 year old ears could use a bit of a boost in the highs and my room eats up bass, so no complaints about "extended bass". But I am not having a lot of luck with some questions. Do I want low noise tubes, or high gain, or balanced triodes... I know I want matched sets, but do those other things make any difference? I have no real problem opting for all those options, unless somehow they can be detrimental. 

And secondly, finding a reputable dealer. I had 1st come across TubeDepot, I like the way their page is set up, very straight forward, but reseller rating gives them very poor reviews, so now I am not sure I want to try them...

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance. 

I have had good luck with Upscale Audio for my tubes.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #17,441 of 151,793
Feb 22, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #17,442 of 151,793
Based on the prototype pic Jason posted before as well as some other information last month, you can either use Vidar in monoblock architecture with XLR only.  If you want to power 2 speakers with 1 Vidar, then you'll have to use single-ended.  So in reading your post, you will be fine except for one caveat which is Schiit will not be supporting 4 Ohm speakers in monoblock.  It will work of course, but that's effectively ~400Wrms into each channel.

Yes, but the advantage of the monoblocks configuration is exactly to use balanced inputs and then have them placed close to the speakers. What is not clear to me if the balanced mono input will work as intended if I get a single ended output. Perhaps feeding in a balanced mono input and and taking both outputs in bridge would be the correct way of wiring a single coil loudspeaker...

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #17,444 of 151,793

Yes, but the advantage of the monoblocks configuration is exactly to use balanced inputs and then have them placed close to the speakers. What is not clear to me if the balanced mono input will work as intended if I get a single ended output. Perhaps feeding in a balanced mono input and and taking both outputs in bridge would be the correct way of wiring a single coil loudspeaker...

Dude- the output of all amps have two terminals- positive and negative. The input of all speakers is two terminals- positive and negative. All amps are connected to speakers via a wire with two leads- positive and negative. Amplifiers do not output a balanced signal. 

To use a Vidar in a mono block configuration you must use a balanced line-level input, coming from a balanced line level output on your preamp (eg. Freya). Use balanced line level connects has nothing what-so-ever to do with the connection from the amp to the speaker. Your idea of taking both outputs in bridge will not work, and may in fact blow up the Vidar and/or melt your speakers.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #17,445 of 151,793

This makes no sense at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back