Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 22, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #17,461 of 151,776
  @brad1138

Upscale Audio or Brent Jesse,

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vacuum-tubes/6sn7-5692-cv1988-6n8

http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm

beerchug.gif

Thanks, with 2 referrals to "upscale", I think I'll go there. They say, matching at no extra charge, I assume they match them by default, as I didn't see a "please match" option. I am looking at the platinum version. 

Thanks you again.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #17,462 of 151,776
We should all be grateful that Jason and crew didn't choose to sell out to MQA for a share of the "Rent Seeking" Thinking if he had we would have been stuck with it for certain. Principle is rare in any manufacturing or marketing scheme. Kudos.

So are Americans really sick of the slick marketing? I think most can't see it. It's like standing in line at Subway and having to wait for all the idiots to make up their mind although they have been eating for 20 to 50 years they still can't decide on food that in the end, regardless of what one chooses, taste exactly the same.

If I had to gues I would say there is a growing percentage of us who have become both more cynical and pragmatic; we don't need switches or meters on the front of our equement, we don't want to pay for them, and we are more willing, well not all of us, to get off our ass and adjust the the aligorical volume of our life.

Let's turn it the **** up!

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #17,463 of 151,776
So are Americans really sick of the slick marketing? I think most can't see it. It's like standing in line at Subway and having to wait for all the idiots to make up their mind although they have been eating for 20 to 50 years they still can't decide on food that in the end, regardless of what one chooses, taste exactly the same.

Nobody is sick of being told about a product or service they might be interested in.

But being sick of a certain syrupy, manipulative flavor...yes, I believe that is the case.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 22, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #17,464 of 151,776
Come to think of it, flac could easily release a 2.0 of the standard that supports steaming. This would destroy MQA's core value on "but why not flac?"

FLAC supports streaming. See "Ogg FLAC".

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #17,465 of 151,776
  Cheers, Jason!
Dumped the old wife and started over with the passionate mistress (figurative) 
ph34r.gif

Well that is one way to put it. 

Another Thought Provoking post. A little somber to be Honest. Moving on can be very exciting but looking in that rear view mirror can be a mixed bag especially when there is more than 2 decades of history. No Need to Disclose but Curiosity has gotten the best of me. Are you going to be a Shadow Owner or was Centric Sold?

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #17,466 of 151,776
I see nobody here seem to trully understand how a balanced input can be used inside a two channel amplifier, and especially how it is implemented in the Vidar. Don't get me wrong, it is not a simple subject and there are different possible implementations. Btw Thouston, I was being sarcastic - now go read about parallel amplification in the Wikipedia. 

Quote:

Should note that Freya may be a stumbling block for me. I don't like tinkering much and tubes add a measure of "Is my pre amp ever sounding its best?" uncertainty to the equation. Then again I want a pre with balanced inputs and outputs.

Whether Freya/Vidar is an important enough over my NAIM setup also remains to be seen.

I'm quite curious about the combo myself, but frankly a NAIM is currently my first option to power the Dynaudios. These speakers draw serious amounts of power, and I'm not sure if the Vidar will be up to challenge compared to a beefy Naim with an external power supply. From the other side, the Harbeths are way more forgiving and moreover they are biamping-friendly. 

Do you realize you just asked someone to WAIT for a product to be released before judging its value for his system and the broader cosmos?! "Overthink everything" is the manifesto of Head-fi!  Tsk tsk...

Excellent thought dude

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #17,467 of 151,776
I'm quite curious about the combo myself, but frankly a NAIM is currently my first option to power the Dynaudios. These speakers draw serious amounts of power, and I'm not sure if the Vidar will be up to challenge compared to a beefy Naim with an external power supply. From the other side, the Harbeths are way more forgiving and moreover they are biamping-friendly. 

Excellent thought dude

The problem being that a Naim 70W NAP200DR is $4,000. I'm not sure which Dynaudio you are talking about specifically, but I'd be shocked if a Vidar or (2) wouldn't handle the job. Dynaudio notoriously need power, but to my knowledge they don't dip down to the 1-2ohm range that would require massive overbuilt power supplies.

I do know how overbuilt the Naim PSU are supposedly. Plus with the new Vidar redesign and seemingly better thermal properties with the new heat sinks we don't know about its low resistance performance.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #17,469 of 151,776
The problem being that a Naim 70W NAP200DR is $4,000. I'm not sure which Dynaudio you are talking about specifically, but I'd be shocked if a Vidar or (2) wouldn't handle the job. Dynaudio notoriously need power, but to my knowledge they don't dip down to the 1-2ohm range that would require massive overbuilt power supplies.

I do know how overbuilt the Naim PSU are supposedly. Plus with the new Vidar redesign and seemingly better thermal properties with the new heat sinks we don't know about its low resistance performance.

It would be likely be a 3-way from the Focus series which is being discontinued. Some good bargains out there.

I don't want to hijack the topic but yes, it's expensive stuff. But then prices in the used market are actually not that bad. I'm not so fond of buying used electronics but I'm not discarding this option just now. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #17,472 of 151,776

Nobody is sick of being told about a product or service they might be interested in.

But being sick of a certain syrupy, manipulative flavor...yes, I believe that is the case.

Jason,

Essentially your saying that you would rather keep your schitty Job and stay in control of your destiny vs. letting others define your destiny and wreak havoc on your mental state...in a nutshell...if you can maintain your sanity and earn a solid living who needs the head aches...plus I think you've projected out the growth over the next decade and see better horizons with a more focused attention on your audio business. Are you selling your business interests in your former company or are you closing shop entirely?

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #17,474 of 151,776
It would be likely be a 3-way from the Focus series which is being discontinued. Some good bargains out there.

I don't want to hijack the topic but yes, it's expensive stuff. But then prices in the used market are actually not that bad. I'm not so fond of buying used electronics but I'm not discarding this option just now. 

I have the Focus 260s and love them. I have heard of deals out there on the 340s/380s.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #17,475 of 151,776
  Thanks, with 2 referrals to "upscale", I think I'll go there. They say, matching at no extra charge, I assume they match them by default, as I didn't see a "please match" option. I am looking at the platinum version. 

Thanks you again.

​I have had excellent service from Upscale, plus the videos are educational and entertaining. However once you feel comfortable, to have Freya and not eventually try some Tung Sol "mouse ears", or RCA red base 5692, or Sylvania 1952 "bad boys" by heading over to eBay is to miss out on some glorious sound I think. Jason provided a fantastic preamp to give tubes a whirl. But first head over to "The Reference 6SN7 Thread" and absorb the first page. 
biggrin.gif
  I recently rounded up 4 used Tung Sol "mouse ears" for $115.00 that spank the new production matched quad I have. At least for me anyway. Not that the new production isn't affordable and a good reference to have. If you want bass- Ken Rad VT231. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back