Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #17,476 of 151,912

​I have had excellent service from Upscale, plus the videos are educational and entertaining. However once you feel comfortable, to have Freya and not eventually try some Tung Sol "mouse ears", or RCA red base 5692, or Sylvania 1952 "bad boys" by heading over to eBay is to miss out on some glorious sound I think. Jason provided a fantastic preamp to give tubes a whirl. But first head over to "The Reference 6SN7 Thread" and absorb the first page. 
biggrin.gif
  I recently rounded up 4 used Tung Sol "mouse ears" for $115.00 that spank the new production matched quad I have. At least for me anyway. Not that the new production isn't affordable and a good reference to have. If you want bass- Ken Rad VT231. Enjoy!

Thanks, I just pulled the trigger on 4 TUNG-SOL 6SN7GTBs Platinum Grade from Upscale. I saw some good reviews on the TUNG-SOLs, plus, in more than one description, "extended highs and lows". My 50 year old ears won't complain about the extended highs, and my room eats up bass, so extended bass won't hurt. 

I like the stock tubes, and hopefully I'll like these better. However, I am probably not going to significantly get into Tube Rolling. 

As far as the Ken Rad VT231, there's no way I would spring for $150/each on tubes.... :) 

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #17,477 of 151,912
Awesome, I loved original Fulla and my Fulla 2 is mindblowing good. I can't wait to see what the future holds, personally, I am hoping for a Schiit Lyr 3 around 2019 when I plan to do my next big audio purchases.  ^^

Maybe they will even make their own headphone by 2020?  Make an electrostat for us and charge $500 (includes little amp) like STAX earpseaker systems, which are not mass produced enough and prices never come down, they have been inflated for years, its insane.  

SCHIIT ELECTROSTAT BUDGET CANS!!!! DOO EEEET  plez :3

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #17,478 of 151,912
I know this may sound crazy, but Schiit is a crazy company, so why not?

To @Jason Stoddard

Have you ever thought of making pure class A monoblocks? (above Vidar price, of course)
There are no good pure class A monoblock amplifiers under 5k, and you already have the Freya ("end game preamp") at 699$...a pair of uber class A monoblocks, having the Freya available, could be something incredible.

At least I would buy one pair to use with Freya if such a thing existed.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #17,479 of 151,912
Hey Jason. I know the title of this book/blog is Schiit Happened but since you are leaving Centric I'm curious so I would like to ask.

What was a typical day at Centric like?, and do you have any more cool stories about your time in the advertising world.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #17,480 of 151,912
Or a Jotunheim sized low-power Class A speaker amp for driving bookshelf speakers. Pretty much every speaker amp on the market dedicated to bookshelf speakers is class D.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #17,481 of 151,912
"...we’re going to need to pay more attention to customer-focused stuff (like “alert me when something is in stock” automation, reorganizing the site to help people find what they’re looking for, being more strategic about outreach,..."

No way. Do not do this!    
biggrin.gif

It's been way toooo much fun over the years hitting the refresh button not just to get the first run of Yggy's or Mjolnir 2's or even Fulla 2 and posting about it but even when something comes back in stock for 43 hours.
dt880smile.png

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #17,483 of 151,912

Why class A? Class AB makes more sense.

Class AB is fine too as long as it's not another class D amp. All small speaker amps seem to be class D these days.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #17,484 of 151,912

Why class A? Class AB makes more sense.

Bingo.

Real class A--like Asgard 2--is insanely inefficient and inherently limited. High bias Class AB amps (the vast majority of what other manufacturers call "Class A") try to sidestep the only real problem with Class AB designs--transconductance doubling in the crossover region--and fail at doing so effectively. A look at the Cordell book on amplifier design on optimal Class AB bias would be instructive for those blindly seeking "Class A."

The real solution would be a constant-transconductance output stage. Ideally with a way to manage the difference between N and P channel parts. Sumo used transconductance linearization and MOSFET outputs, which is a complex solution that has its own stability problems. There are other, better solutions to be designed...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 23, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #17,486 of 151,912

I think you'll find by reading this monster of a thread that Schiit's official stance on Class D is, "not even at gunpoint," so you have nothing to worry about there.

Yeah, I searched through the thread, it seems that there was a discussion of a small class AB speaker amp that ended up in "doable with 20W per channel max in Asgard size chassis for $299" but was killed off due to not enough interest. Which is a shame because I really can't imagine anyone using a Vidar or other similar sized amplifier to drive bookshelf speakers.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #17,487 of 151,912

Yeah, I searched through the thread, it seems that there was a discussion of a small class AB speaker amp that ended up in "doable with 20W per channel max in Asgard size chassis for $299" but was killed off due to not enough interest. Which is a shame because I really can't imagine anyone using a Vidar or other similar sized amplifier to drive bookshelf speakers.

Well my bookshelf speakers are 15kg each and are pretty big (I would never actually put them on a bookshelf lol); I could easily use a single Vidar as an appropriate method to power them as my current Rotel RA-1570 is rated to 120w/c and I can get to about 70% volume with some high dynamic range music before it is loud enough. Realistically you don't want to run your amp at max all the time so having plenty of headroom is always a nice idea.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #17,488 of 151,912
The physical size of a loudspeaker has nothing to do with its efficiency nor its power handling.  100wpc on bookshelf systems is common and it's what I'm currently using in my home office.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #17,489 of 151,912

I wouldn't call it dead, I'd call it "backburnered." I won't rule out having a (small) line of speaker power amps, but first, let's get Vidar done and launched and see how it does.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 23, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #17,490 of 151,912
  The physical size of a loudspeaker has nothing to do with its efficiency nor its power handling.  100wpc on bookshelf systems is common and it's what I'm currently using in my home office.

That is a far more concise way of saying what I was trying to lol 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back