Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 8, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #16,127 of 150,080
Has anyone heard both the Jotunheim and the Mjolnir 2?

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #16,129 of 150,080

What is your opinion between the Mjolnir 2 and Jotunheim?

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #16,130 of 150,080

In re-reading John Atkinson's measurements section, I suspect that something may be amiss in either the test sample or the test configuration. 

How do those measurements compare to the ones that @atomicbob  did here?

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #16,131 of 150,080
Their subjective commentary has become boilerplate and boring.  But they still do more measurements than pretty much anybody else in the English language press (German audio mags are the best for this).

Any publication that rates the Benchmark dac1 or 2 consistently A rated is suspect .
The Yggy destroys these dacs so I'm not sure where they would rate the Yggy !

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #16,132 of 150,080

In re-reading John Atkinson's measurements section, I suspect that something may be amiss in either the test sample or the test configuration. Since the Schiit Adapticlock circuitry is incorporated in the Yggdrasil specifically to address the clock jitter problem, the odd results of the word clock jitter testing and the significant differences between the left and right channels seem to indicate that something is wrong somewhere. Assuming that the circuitry for the left and right channels are identical, some component parameter [specified or unspecified] is different, a component is on the verge of failure, or the measurement configuration changed. Although Atkinson is not enamored with the choice of 21 bit vs 24 bit D-A converter chips [he mentions this more than once], the inconsistent test results between left and right channels certainly warrants investigation by Mike, Jason, and Dave.

If and when the sample returns, I will take a look at it to see what, if anything is up with it viz a viz their setup.  Putting myself in JA's shoes, I can understand his expectation for "24 bit labeled" D/A chips.  The median price of DACs in their publication is much more than an Yggy, and it would be therefore harmful to his magazine to ignore the rest of those manufacturers' ad revenue.  Under those circumstances, I have little expectations of anything other than patronizing comments or faint praise from the editor, who is duty bound to his magazine.  When you look at it as an economic reality, it has nothing to do with "class envy". 

So why do we advertise and play in the arenas of such magazines?  Simple.  First, we are playing and competing in those two magazine's very expensive arenas.  So we buy ads and make ourselves known there as we begin to seriously compete with products costing so much more than ours in a market subset new to us. Second, both of the "high-end" pubs do not, by-and large, censor their reviewers' opinions.   This is how we spread our message that one not need spend $10,000 to get performance approaching that of our $1250 products.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 8, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #16,133 of 150,080
Makes sense.   It's not exactly if you don't play you can't win, but there are a lot of people who read these mags who are open-minded and interested in higher quality at lower prices.  It's never a bad idea to spread the Schiity word.

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #16,137 of 150,080
  Here's the link to the full article:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-ragnarok-integrated-amplifier#56vLMj72Rl0u71dZ.97

JL

That's not the article people are talking about.

Feb. 2017 has a review of the Yggy. Not online yet.  I just read the electronic Kindle version.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #16,139 of 150,080
Anyone know how Freya generates a single ended output from a balanced source? Is there a summer on the output, or does it just steal half of the balanced signal?

Yes, there is a summer. But as the manual states, beware of any downstream components (which would nearly always be amps or powered subs) which short inputs _when_ they are powered down and/or unused. Those aren't too common but you need to check, either with a meter or by asking the manufacturer.

The three sets of outputs on the Freya are EXCEEDINGLY useful and rare, a big reason I will get one in the coming months.

We used to set _unused_ inputs at 100 Ohms to ground in our preamps, for example. Those shorted or ultra-low-impedance inputs won't kill anything but would seriously degrade performance when more than one of the 3 sets (2 SE and 1 Bal) of Freya's outputs are used.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #16,140 of 150,080
Yes, there is a summer. But as the manual states, beware of any downstream components (which would nearly always be amps or powered subs) which short inputs _when_ they are powered down and/or unused. Those aren't too common but you need to check, either with a meter or by asking the manufacturer.

The three sets of outputs on the Freya are EXCEEDINGLY useful and rare, a big reason I will get one in the coming months.

We used to set _unused_ inputs at 100 Ohms to ground in our preamps, for example. Those shorted or ultra-low-impedance inputs won't kill anything but would seriously degrade performance when more than one of the 3 sets (2 SE and 1 Bal) of Freya's outputs are used.

I am Guessing by Meter you mean Multimeter and when the Downstream Component is powered down you are checking for Continuity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back