Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 31, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #15,736 of 150,821
I currently have HD700, X2, but i also have som regular powered speakers.

I'm eventually looking to buy either a normal amp (schiit saga + the monoblocks) or a schiit headphone amp. So i wonder, is there a big difference between the "normal" amp and "headphone amp" for using headphones?  (ie is a headphone amp just a normal amp with much less power)

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #15,737 of 150,821
I think most people are confused because of the popularity of Integrated Amps (Pre-Amp and (Power) Amplifier in one box), which have all the controls of a pre-amp but are often referred to simply as Amplifiers.

Growing up with a dad who was into Hi-Fi in the 70's and 80's, this is how I understood things:

(Power) Amplifier: One set of pre-amp inputs, speaker outputs, designed solely to amplify the input signal and send it to the speakers. No volume control. (Arcam P49, Schiit Vidar)

Pre-Amplifier: Multiple inputs (turntable, cassette, CD, AM/FM Tuner, etc.) Designed to select and modify the input signal with tone and volume controls, often included a built-in phono pre-amp and headphone amp. (McIntosh C22, Schiit Freya) 

Integrated Amplifier: Pre-Amp and (Power) Amplifier in one box (NAD C356, Schitt Ragnarok)

Receiver: AM/FM Tuner, Pre-Amp, (Power) Amplifier in one box (McIntosh MAC6700, NAD 7140)

With respect to Headphone Amplifiers, I have never come across an external Headphone Amplifier that does NOT have a volume control. This may also be where the confusion comes from as Headphone Amplifiers and (Power) Amplifiers are designed to do the exact same thing (amplify an input signal) but are constructed differently. Because, and I am purely guessing here, Headphone Amps sprang from the digital/personal audio explosion where one input source was the norm and the input signals are not particularly strong, Headphone amps evolved with a volume control.

Im using a power amp with headphone out in it but i doubt is better that dedicated built ones. Still have not tried headphone on it as is mainly for 2 channels .

Will be looking forward for vidar x 2.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #15,738 of 150,821
  I currently have HD700, X2, but i also have som regular powered speakers.

I'm eventually looking to buy either a normal amp (schiit saga + the monoblocks) or a schiit headphone amp. So i wonder, is there a big difference between the "normal" amp and "headphone amp" for using headphones?  (ie is a headphone amp just a normal amp with much less power)

Biggest difference between a headphone amp/preamp combo and a dedicated active preamp is the output stage implementation. Preamps usually have a much lower gain than headphone amps or even unity gain which minimizes distortion. However unity gain means lower volume. Therefore, active preamps have a much higher output voltage (10V or higher) than headphone amps of the same output (SE or Balanced) to amplify the signal without being distorted (higher gain = higher noise floor).

Look at Saga's specs:

Output Impedance: 180 ohms
Gain: Approximately 1 (0dB) through either passive or active stage
Maximum Output: >10V RMS (active stage)

Here's Jotunheim specs:

Output Impedance: Less than 0.1 ohms, balanced or SE, at both gain settings
Gain: 2 (6dB) or 8 (14dB), selectable via front switch

A lot of headphones themselves do not need 1V to go earblasting loud and as such I do not think Jot would've an output of 10V at max volume.

TLDR;

You can use a headphone amp/preamp combo as preamp, but if you hear clipping/noise and distortion, you should use a dedicated preamp.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #15,739 of 150,821
My Schiit is out for delivery....!
popcorn.gif

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #15,740 of 150,821
A lot of headphones themselves do not need 1V to go earblasting loud and as such I do not think Jot would've an output of 10V at max volume.

The Jotunheim is an effing monster though, hitting 10Vrms SE and around 17Vrms balanced into high-Z loads.  Into 32 Ohms it's about 7V SE and >12V BAL.  Beast.  The cool thing is that it's ultra-quiet, so nice for IEMs.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #15,741 of 150,821
Im using a power amp with headphone out in it 

If it has a headphone jack then it's not a power amp.  Power amps take only line in and only put out speaker level signals.

Saying things like that just adds to the level of confusion around these products.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #15,743 of 150,821
Im using a power amp with headphone out in it but i doubt is better that dedicated built ones. Still have not tried headphone on it as is mainly for 2 channels .

It sounds to me like you're using an integrated amp, not a power amp...

What kind is it?

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #15,747 of 150,821

Users who are viewing this thread

Back