Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 13, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #13,996 of 155,069
I would put my Micca MB42x ($90) + SMSL SA-50 ($70) up against any sub-$400 active monitors. They get very loud without distortion and have great imaging / resolution.

When I was first shopping for desktop speakers, I went to a pro audio store early in the morning so that I would be the only one in the active monitor booth. The only ones that genuinely sounded good were the yamaha HS line, but they were too much for me at the time. I believe my Miccas sound just as good or better (especially in the highs/mids) even though the bass is lacking compared to monitors with 5"+ drivers.

Nov 13, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #13,997 of 155,069

So let's correct a couple misconceptions here.  BTW, I write this as a volunteer recording engineer for my local symphony:

1. Abbey Road uses B&W monitors mostly for mastering, not for mixing or tracking.  For mixing, they use a mixture (almost all mixers use many different monitors to test the mix), including ATC.

2. Passive speakers do exist in all places.  But in the nearfield, where mixing and tracking is done, actives are far far more common.  Passives show up more in the midfield and farfield, which is a totally different use case.

3. "Detail and separation" -- what does that mean from a frequency response point of view?  Is that more accurate?  Or is it just audiophile sizzle?   Good monitors / speakers are neutral.  Bad monitors / speakers aren't.  There are many examples of both in both genuses.

4. Mid-high active nearfield monitors are made by the likes of Focal, Dynaudio, ATC, PMC, Genelec, Eve Audio, Neumann, Barefoot, and more.  They are the norm for nearfield monitoring. The manufacturers listed before make them because professionals demand them.  If active nearfields weren't the best tool for the job, either due to attributes or value for money, pros would use something else.

5. What "things" do you think the internal amp of an active monitor has that an external one doesn't?  

6. If you want a choice because you want to play component mix and match, that's fine -- it's your hobby, enjoy it how you wish.  But don't look for economic or technical superiority -- designers at Dynaudio and KEF have both talked about how they can do things with an active speaker with built-in DSP that are impossible to do with passives (e.g. fully phase correct, steep-as-you-want crossovers), especially at a given price point.

7. Stereophile now has a number of budget active speakers listed on their Recommended Components (and pricier ones, too, in the higher tiers).  So the opinion that budget actives necessarily suck doesn't appear to be held by professional reviewers.

This Discussion is not about why the world should use active monitors or who works in a studio and who does not etc yada yada ad nauseam,  So lets end that misconception.  it is about the viability of a very compact amp that can be used on or desk or not on a desk, as others have expressed the need or desire for.  If you think Actives are the greatest thing since sliced bread good for you. Some of us like the "audiophile sizzle"  because we don't just look at the Frequency response graph and we know what our ears that we have used all our lives like. The discussion is of an amp around $250 It Should be the first clue that we are not talking TOTL ferraris  or monitors here.

I agree with you on this statement. So can we please get back to the regularly scheduled Programming?

6. If you want a choice because you want to play component mix and match, that's fine -- it's your hobby, enjoy it how you wish.  

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #13,998 of 155,069
... it is about the viability of a very compact amp that can be used on or desk or not on a desk, as others have expressed the need or desire for.  If you think Actives are the greatest thing since sliced bread good for you. The discussion is of an amp around $250 It Should be the first clue that we are not talking TOTL ferraris  or monitors here.

6. If you want a choice because you want to play component mix and match, that's fine -- it's your hobby, enjoy it how you wish.  

Yep...choice is a good thing.

We have two smaller systems. One is Pioneer/Andrew Jones bookshelf speakers driven by a Sony UDA-1 ($200 on Woot)...outstanding value for what it does. And the other is a Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 2.1 system for $149. Simple, convenient, delivers very good sound for the dollar as well.

Before we downsized to a townhome, I would have never had these types of systems/speakers; having two nice stereo systems and a home theater room. Now I find myself focusing on 90% of my listening time on headphones and these systems primarily serve as a way to fill a room/work area in a non-offensive manner with background music.

To each his own...

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #13,999 of 155,069
Hey guys, we got it--some of you like some approaches and systems over others. I've left the gist of everything on the record, but pruned a few posts to keep us on the subject. There's no need to go around and around endlessly about this.

I appreciate the input on a potential small amp, but I remain unsure about it. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I have a lot of stuff to work on before any such device gets back on the drawing board. There's a lot of other interesting stuff coming. Just don't expect it to conform to today's current tropes.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 13, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #14,000 of 155,069

I appreciate the input on a potential small amp, but I remain unsure about it. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I have a lot of stuff to work on before any such device gets back on the drawing board. There's a lot of other interesting stuff coming. 

Anything in the phono area.....?

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #14,001 of 155,069
  Hey guys, we got it--some of you like some approaches and systems over others. I've left the gist of everything on the record, but pruned a few posts to keep us on the subject. There's no need to go around and around endlessly about this.

I appreciate the input on a potential small amp, but I remain unsure about it. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I have a lot of stuff to work on before any such device gets back on the drawing board. There's a lot of other interesting stuff coming. Just don't expect it to conform to today's current tropes.

Wait , there will not be one ready for sale tomorrow? Ok, I guess we will "settle" for some Pre amps in the near future. 

Anything in the phono area.....?

There was some discussion On Mikes Thread a while back as Mike broke from The Matrix Temporarily to Play on the analog side and designed the Mani. Some interesting Ideas were kicked around. It seems Mike was intrigued but hesitant because it could be a significant price jump from the Mani. If you don't follow His it's Here (http://www.head-fi.org/t/784471/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter). Interesting things are discussed there and a Random Mike rant pops up once in a while and they are awesome.

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #14,002 of 155,069
  Wait , there will not be one ready for sale tomorrow? Ok, I guess we will "settle" for some Pre amps in the near future. 

There was some discussion On Mikes Thread a while back as Mike broke from The Matrix Temporarily to Play on the analog side and designed the Mani. Some interesting Ideas were kicked around. It seems Mike was intrigued but hesitant because it could be a significant price jump from the Mani. If you don't follow His it's Here (http://www.head-fi.org/t/784471/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter). Interesting things are discussed there and a Random Mike rant pops up once in a while and they are awesome.

Thanks, but that's 5 years of posts to wade through!

As for being a significant price jump on the Mani: I think the Schiit brand can now support an upscale balanced (maybe tube or tube hybrid) phono stage that pairs with their other more upscale balanced offerings (Freya / Gungir / Mjolnir).

Nov 13, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #14,003 of 155,069
Nov 13, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #14,004 of 155,069
Sorry, Thanks jimmers. 

Here is where Mike got into Tubes and Phonos stages . I beleive there was some discussion prior to and after. But its a good point to start. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784471/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter/330#post_12308960

Agreed, the Reputation of the Company and the success of the Mani make me  thank a Bigger better version of a Phono Stage would be welcome, Mike Talked about the Difficulties with tubes and the need for High Output MC Cartridges. You may be onto something with Hybrid Idea as it may get over the Requirement for specific MC Carts. 

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #14,005 of 155,069
Make it a real pivot point, balanced, with 15-20 watts, and I'll be lined up for one

I can't see an audiophile market for a 15 watt asgard sized amp... But some clever differentiation might get people curious. How about 40 watt asgard sized monoblocs... Balanced. It would require 2 units and a balanced pre. 2 x 40 watts can sell. The only people interested in flea watts would onlu be interested in tubes... And they are another sub nutcase segment in this nutcase market.

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #14,006 of 155,069

Any plans to better differentiate the output stage of the Modi and Bifrost multibit output stages? I guess you wouldn't say huh? Its just the form factor of the Valhalla2 I like. Even though it's a budget offering... That white power LED tells me everything about Schiit philosophy.

I mean I was convinced that cheap chinese electronics will punish you for not working hard enough to afford an expensive unit by blinding you with a super nova bright LED... Blue one. Or Capital punishment via electrocution by your cheapskate ebay tube amp.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #14,007 of 155,069
On my desktop I have an early USB only Modi with an Elekit TU-8100 driving my speakers - no headphone output, but at this time I don't need it.  It's pushing maybe 3 watts.  If in the future I need/want headphones at my desk, one of the many Schiit HP amps with pre outs would be ideal, especially with a matching < 10 watt Schiit speaker amp.  I am one of the many constantly refreshing the web page to order a Saga for a bedroom system, and then I will be ordering the Pass DIY Audio Amp Camp monos.  If a small Schiit amp comes out, I'll try it on that system, or if it sounds like a good match, on the top end of my bi-amped big rig speakers.  There are a LOT of applications out here in the rest of the world for a number of smaller "2-channel" basic power amps.  It seems to me like a natural progression of the line, building up from the desktop/HP arena into the larger systems/market instead of jumping in at the deep end.

FWIW, $.02, etc, etc.  

Thanks,
Jim 

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #14,009 of 155,069
Even though it's a budget offering... That white power LED tells me everything about Schiit philosophy.

I mean I was convinced that cheap chinese electronics will punish you for not working hard enough to afford an expensive unit by blinding you with a super nova bright LED... Blue one.

Not sure what I read in between the lines by that... but these do work quite well and look pretty nice too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WT7PYO/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back