Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 12, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #13,981 of 151,230
I use active speakers for my computer desk too but I originally wanted an amp + passive speakers because there are so many very good bookshelf speakers out there!

Ultimately I went active because cost won out, but now that I have a better job I wouldn't mind a "mini" 2 channel setup to complement the big one.

Schiit would be the top of my list, and I would be willing to pay more for their innovation and quality, but they have class AB competition at even the $200 level with N22 and the A-100 (though it's 2x the size) so I can see why Jason is being cautious.

We just have to think of some aspect lacking in the current offerings that Schiit can do better...

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #13,983 of 151,230

We just have to think of some aspect lacking in the current offerings that Schiit can do better...

My Schiit wishlist would actually be more stuff for the living room, stuff to compliment the new Freya and Saga. I think they have a huge number of desktop products already.

A fully-balanced (including balanced-in) tube- or tube-hybrid phono stage with adjustable gain and load settings for MM and MC would open my wallet quickly.

Think Mani pimped out with tubes and balanced circuitry.

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #13,984 of 151,230

Same here. I haven't heard a pair of powered near-field monitors that can compare to my Bower & Wilkins XT2's.

I would say then you probably haven't heard active monitors from Focal, ATC, or Dynaudio...you know, the same guys who also make high-end speakers.

Or you just prefer the B&W house sound, in which case, it won't matter.

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #13,986 of 151,230
Nov 12, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #13,987 of 151,230
I've definitely enjoyed the read so far, been quite a lot of interesting stories in there!

In regards to the current topic, the idea of a $249-299 USD Bifrost sized desktop speaker amplifier would be rather enticing, doubly so with a linear power supply and Class A or AB design, but it would also be nice to be able to easily switch between desktop speakers and headphones with all of them being in a similar chassis size and design (bonus points if they're stackable too).  Why the desire for both?  Well, I already have some headphones I'm more than happy with, and when gaming at 02:00 (aka 2am for those who prefer a 12-hour clock) speakers tend to have a bad habit of waking up neighbours - the downside of living in a 55 year old apartment complex.

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #13,989 of 151,230

I would say then you probably haven't heard active monitors from Focal, ATC, or Dynaudio...you know, the same guys who also make high-end speakers.

Or you just prefer the B&W house sound, in which case, it won't matter.

Those are not in the same price point however. The "Desktop" size does not mean it needs to be only on a desktop. It can be used for a small bookshelf system. Powered monitors are great but that does not mean they are the end all be all,  The Genelac M series are Class D amps as are the Dynaudio LYN series.As far as I know the only ]active monitors that run class A/B amps in the budget price range is the Mackie MR series, For some Class  D is fine, for some its not, The Down side of active monitors are unless you really spend some cash the budget ones are good but not great. if any component goes you are probably replacing one whole unit or both if they are discontinued. Peachtree, JB, PSB, Centrance, audioengine and others make passive speakers that are well suited for near field use and the ability to pair different speakers with the amp of your choice is far more appealing to me at least.

The Parasound is double the depth of an asgard, although it does have a healthy power output for its size. I get The Argument that a company already makes something similar, but many companies make power amps, headphone amps, dacs and phono stages that did not stop Schiit from making their own. 

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #13,990 of 151,230
  Those are not in the same price point however. The "Desktop" size does not mean it needs to be only on a desktop. It can be used for a small bookshelf system. Powered monitors are great but that does not mean they are the end all be all,  The Genelac M series are Class D amps as are the Dynaudio LYN series.As far as I know the only ]active monitors that run class A/B amps in the budget price range is the Mackie MR series, For some Class  D is fine, for some its not, The Down side of active monitors are unless you really spend some cash the budget ones are good but not great. if any component goes you are probably replacing one whole unit or both if they are discontinued. Peachtree, JB, PSB, Centrance, audioengine and others make passive speakers that are well suited for near field use and the ability to pair different speakers with the amp of your choice is far more appealing to me at least.

Sure, like most things, if you spend more, you get more (up to a point of diminishing returns). But at a given budgetary point for the whole system (speakers + amp), I think the value of most mid-priced active monitors are hard to beat because of the inherent advantages that active speakers have when it comes to crossovers, as well as the savings in parts, chassis, etc.

There are reasons that actives are the most common tool of choice for sound engineers doing nearfield work.  It's not random.

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #13,992 of 151,230
Reality check on any future small Class AB speaker amp:

1. It wouldn't be Magni/Modi size. That's the realm of Class D. Period.
2. It wouldn't be 60 watts in Asgard/Valhalla size. That's outside the realm of power dissipation reality.
3. It wouldn't be $100, or $150, or probably even $200. 

If we did anything, it would be Valhalla/Asgard sized,15-20 watts per channel, $249-299. Which is why I'm not so excited about it. Specs-wise, it doesn't appeal to many who will simply look at the superior power output and smaller size/cost of Class D and call it a day.

Make it a real pivot point, balanced, with 15-20 watts, and I'll be lined up for one

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #13,993 of 151,230

Sure, like most things, if you spend more, you get more (up to a point of diminishing returns). But at a given budgetary point for the whole system (speakers + amp), I think the value of most mid-priced active monitors are hard to beat because of the inherent advantages that active speakers have when it comes to crossovers, as well as the savings in parts, chassis, etc.

There are reasons that actives are the most common tool of choice for sound engineers doing nearfield work.  It's not random.

Most of the low to Mid line Monitors Did not have the detail and separation of some of the passive Monitors. Most Professional Studios don't use Low to mid end monitors. Some even opt for passive speakers. Abbey Road Uses BW diamonds. Sure they are the price of small car but they are not typical actives studio monitors. For some actives don't do it , We just want a choice and I don't care much for the trim and tone controls even the dsp or room control thats added to some. If I am looking at preamps and other gear with the cleanest signal path possible Then all of the added things on those internal amps I do not want. 

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #13,994 of 151,230

Most of the low to Mid line Monitors Did not have the detail and separation of some of the passive Monitors. Most Professional Studios don't use Low to mid end monitors. Some even opt for passive speakers. Abbey Road Uses BW diamonds. Sure they are the price of small car but they are not typical actives studio monitors. For some actives don't do it , We just want a choice and I don't care much for the trim and tone controls even the dsp or room control thats added to some. If I am looking at preamps and other gear with the cleanest signal path possible Then all of the added things on those internal amps I do not want. 

So let's correct a couple misconceptions here.  BTW, I write this as a volunteer recording engineer for my local symphony:

1. Abbey Road uses B&W monitors mostly for mastering, not for mixing or tracking.  For mixing, they use a mixture (almost all mixers use many different monitors to test the mix), including ATC.

2. Passive speakers do exist in all places.  But in the nearfield, where mixing and tracking is done, actives are far far more common.  Passives show up more in the midfield and farfield, which is a totally different use case.

3. "Detail and separation" -- what does that mean from a frequency response point of view?  Is that more accurate?  Or is it just audiophile sizzle?   Good monitors / speakers are neutral.  Bad monitors / speakers aren't.  There are many examples of both in both genuses.

4. Mid-high active nearfield monitors are made by the likes of Focal, Dynaudio, ATC, PMC, Genelec, Eve Audio, Neumann, Barefoot, and more.  They are the norm for nearfield monitoring. The manufacturers listed before make them because professionals demand them.  If active nearfields weren't the best tool for the job, either due to attributes or value for money, pros would use something else.

5. What "things" do you think the internal amp of an active monitor has that an external one doesn't?  

6. If you want a choice because you want to play component mix and match, that's fine -- it's your hobby, enjoy it how you wish.  But don't look for economic or technical superiority -- designers at Dynaudio and KEF have both talked about how they can do things with an active speaker with built-in DSP that are impossible to do with passives (e.g. fully phase correct, steep-as-you-want crossovers), especially at a given price point.

7. Stereophile now has a number of budget active speakers listed on their Recommended Components (and pricier ones, too, in the higher tiers).  So the opinion that budget actives necessarily suck doesn't appear to be held by professional reviewers.

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #13,995 of 151,230
  If active nearfields weren't the best tool for the job, either due to attributes or value for money, pros would use something else.

Don't underestimate the human laziness factor. Actives are easy to setup, transport, and require no fiddling or amp wiring.

I suspect for many audio workers active monitors are simply "good enough" and the ease of use wins out over ultimate performance. 

I know for my work I do a lot on the computer, and I would love an epic beast of a machine, but I make do with an i5 laptop because it's good enough. 
Ironically, at home I have an i7 gaming rig! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back