Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 25, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #9,331 of 149,646

Baby mustard yellow Schiit nylon fishing shirts.

Nope.  They gotta be black.

Why are all Schiit T-shirts black when all Schiit gear is silver? Let's coordinate, people!

More seriously, truly stoked to read that Jason is working on a new topology. Hey, Jason, when you voice this one, could you dial in just a bit more mid-bass warmth. Thanks, man. And for the preamp, how about a balance control? You can put it on the back if that makes you feel better.

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #9,332 of 149,646
evil_smiley.gif
You don't need balance control if you setup your speakers properly. 

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #9,333 of 149,646

Mr. Ableza,

Balance control knobs,  geez what happened to those things?  

Speaker placement issues, sure but we mostly don't cope with that any longer, do we?

I never gave a thought to my Asgard 2 not having a Balance knob when I opened the box and haven't thought of it since ( till you just mentioned it ).

I'll bet ( $50 ) that component parts are higher quality nowadays as are Designer measurement Tools.  I get the feeling ( ok, subjective feeling ) that my little music system is nearly a Dual-Mono design ( it certainly performs as well as my previous Electrocompaniet Dual Mono stuff ).  We even have ultra low frequency stuff that's not mixed into mono below 150hz ( don't we ), unlike the 'Old Days of Analog'.  

Balance Control?, I don't miss them or the need for them.  

Plus, I notice Stoddard mentioning a Test Fixture to pre-select and winny out Tubes for their Tube gear: checking the balance between triode sections. Why not put a balance knob on their Tube Gear?, like every single High-End Audio piece of Pre-Amp gear would always have.  

Again, nice reading your posts.

Tony in Michigan

ps.  betcha Mr.Stoddard will read this and write a few words on Balance controls, there's probably more here than meets the eye.  

ps. 2   The Car Industry switched to Front wheel drive a while back, the cars had torque-steer.  That problem ( if you wanna call it that ) got solved.  Today, nobody even thinks about torque-steering ( unless there's Ice on the Road ) 

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #9,334 of 149,646
Could it be that the new Schiit amplifier topology that Jason teases us with is the long sought hold grail of audiophiles -- a straight wire with gain? An absolutely perfect amplifier.  The higher the gauge the greater the power.

Schiit had on balance another fabulous year.  Thanks Jason for summarizing the year past and giving us a glimpse of the future.  The fact that you have a set of core values and objectives as a yardstick and you are able to look back using the yardstick and take stock of what you did right and what works and also think about what you did wrong and what didn't work is probably a good part of the reason Schiit has been so successful.  You and Mike have taught us all some important lessons along with all the pleasure you have brought us.

May 2016 be another great year of Schiit  and for both of you and the Schiit family on a personal level.  At the end of the day it's about people and you never seem to forget that.

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #9,335 of 149,646
  Could it be that the new Schiit amplifier topology that Jason teases us with is the long sought hold grail of audiophiles -- a straight wire with gain? An absolutely perfect amplifier.  The higher the gauge the greater the power.

Don't forget the personal substation you'll need to power the super-cooler.

Dec 25, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #9,336 of 149,646
I just Picked up a Mani to Pair with a Rega RP1.(The wife got the RP1 as a Christmas present for me.) The Audiophiliacs Impressions of the Mani are some I would echo. Sound Stage is BIG. Everything Seemed so airy and open. Details seemed to be reproduced naturally and some LP to Flac comparisons was surprising. What Seems to be a side project for Mike considering Schiit was getting ready to drop Thor's Hammer on the Digital world this past year is really impressive. 2 Channel Products in 2016... Mani Uber??

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #9,337 of 149,646
I get it - if the balance control is put on the front it will introduce torque-steer to the amp chassis. Yep, put it on the back...

And for the preamp, how about a balance control? You can put it on the back if that makes you feel better.

ps. 2   The Car Industry switched to Front wheel drive a while back, the cars had torque-steer.  That problem ( if you wanna call it that ) got solved.  Today, nobody even thinks about torque-steering ( unless there's Ice on the Road ) 

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #9,339 of 149,646

Mr.Murrays,

You make a good point !  

My Left Ear System is more sensitive than my Right Ear System.  I use an Outboard Equalizer between my DAC and my Asgard 2 to help in correction which works well for headphones and Direct Axis Radiation devices.  A curious thing is that the Bone behind my Ear conducts sound to my opposite Ear ( somehow ).  My Audiologist helped me correct for my personal hearing deficiencies ( I wasn't able to do this myself or left to my own devices and experimentations ) .  My Sennheiser HD580s contact my rear bone structure, my in ear monitor devices do not and require different Eq settings.

I've also learned that nobody has perfect or near perfect hearing and people's brain is constantly adjusting and compensating to achieve optimum hearing.

And it's becoming apparent to Professional Movie Studio Musicians who are beginning to wear calibrated personal hearing devices supplied by people like Sennheiser, AKG and Shure.

The Electronics & Transducers available to we Consumers are achieving ever better results accompanied with ever lower price-points.

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #9,340 of 149,646
:evil: You don't need balance control if you setup your speakers properly. 

With all due respect, I beg to differ. I have many recordings where the balance is off just enough to make me adjust it. There just isn't any speaker set up that's correct al the time. So please give me a balance control and a remote, at least for volume. Having to roll the wheel chair across to the stereo each time a new album comes up is a big pain, especially if I'm in the middle of cooking dinner or working on a nasty problem for work.

Jason and Mike, you all make great stuff, keep up the good work.

Ray

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #9,341 of 149,646
I'm glad you didn't have to save up for 5 years to get what you wanted. :beerchug:

I was originally going to get a Yggy and wanted to save up so I wouldn't lose any money at all, but a black Gumby became available and I couldn't resist. The X00 was just a no brainer because I was always craving more bass on electronic music. The HD650 was the result of much peer pressure and good advice.

Dec 26, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #9,342 of 149,646

Balance Control?, I don't miss them or the need for them.  

While I'm not saying Schiit gear needs a balance control (they're targeting headphones, after all), they are pervasive in the recording / mastering chain.

I find them very useful at playback time when using speakers to deal with room-induced channel inequalities, if one isn't going to go the full DRC route.  

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #9,345 of 149,646
Would like to see dual voltage(110/220v) compatible products.

Doubt it (officially that is)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/1530#post_10495471  (read 3 posts)

So in theory it's possible to change voltage if one knows what is doing. But one would think that's rarely needed, there's little point in trading stuff between US-EU..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back