Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 27, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #9,361 of 151,707
  I don't see them doing digital volume and motored pot to every amp would be silly expensive, since most wouldn't use it anyway.

Schiit should create some dedicated preamp/volume box with a motor pot. Then just design some clever generic port behind all new amps (why not dacs too) that you could attach it to override it's volume functions. Make it super high quality so there is incentive to "upgrade" volume controls on lower stuff..

Well yeah I guess you don't need a dedicated port, since there's always a line-in in the amps etc.. just rambling. Amp could use a bypass button on it's internal pot though.

A SYS with multi inputs and maybe 2 outputs. Remote control and front panel Switching like the the Higher End Dacs and Volume control from the Ragnarok. Leave all other units at max volume and control volume through the Big @ss SYS.

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #9,362 of 151,707
We need a mind control module - we think it and the equipment delivers it

If you can make it work on other people, I'd buy that...

Seriously, though, enough folks have made the case for remote. How about an internal gear drive that turns the knob? That way Schiit could keep the excellent attenuator used on Rag. And if Schiit is doing a preamp, there should be room in the case. Please, Jason?

And don't forget the balance knob...

Happy 2016 to all!

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #9,363 of 151,707

Portable? Still not real excited on this one. I know it’s in vogue, and a lot of people want them, but to do it right, it will be huge, hot, and heavy. Wow, that sounded weird. I’m still trying to convince myself we can do something different and meaningful.

And, of course, we reserve the right to come up with a surprise or two…like we did with Vali 2 

Right, though honestly I'd prefer a DAP that was consisted purely of a Gui, Storage Reader, an Line Out Dac 

I've never been impressed with the onBoard amp of any DAP, though I've not gotten an the MiniBox for my Hm 901 yet 

non the less, I've always enjoyed the Dac Quality of my Hifiman DAPs an I'd love to see some one perfect a Dap in that sense 

an in terms of an Amp I've always been impressed with my iBasso PB2, it's not to big an it sounds better than everything else I've owned in that price range [$400] despite it's size it's more transparent than my old matrix m Stage 

An the Balanced out is right up there with my NFB 10ES2 , the only thing it lacks is Head Room an sound stage, though If I fed the PB2 with a balanced input I have no doubts it would be right there with the NFB10ES2 it self 

Though in terms of size I like the HM901/PB2 they are easy enough to carry around, 

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #9,364 of 151,707
We need a mind control module we think it and the equipment delivers it is the best option ...

Not if you are ADHD 
wink.gif

Even Brit minimalist REGA added remote to the DAC and Brio (and a bit more ...)

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #9,365 of 151,707
  I just Picked up a Mani to Pair with a Rega RP1.(The wife got the RP1 as a Christmas present for me.) The Audiophiliacs Impressions of the Mani are some I would echo. Sound Stage is BIG. Everything Seemed so airy and open. Details seemed to be reproduced naturally and some LP to Flac comparisons was surprising. What Seems to be a side project for Mike considering Schiit was getting ready to drop Thor's Hammer on the Digital world this past year is really impressive. 2 Channel Products in 2016... Mani Uber??

I'd be in for a Mani Uber.  I've been rocking my Mani for nearly the entire year, and while I love the darn thing something about Schiit makes me wonder if a Mani Uber or Mani 2 is in the works.  Not that I think anything is wrong with the Mani - love it, dead quiet (even with a Grado cart), small form factor has it hidden away from the rest of the gear....what could be improved?

Wonder how many of 'em have been sold, though.  Seems like phono preamp stages are flooding the market right now....Wonder if Schiit has shipped more Mani units or whatever that DAC was that did DSD that got quietly killed a few months ago.

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #9,366 of 151,707
I want Schiit to make a USB input (an option I'll pay for) that makes third party products from Regen, AudioQuest, cable manufacturers, even Wyrd, etc. 100% irrelevant.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #9,367 of 151,707

BTW - Last year I reached the point of 'remote control overload', at which point I bought a Logitech Harmony universal programmable remote and put my other 8 remotes away in a cupboard.  Life is much simpler now!

I have a drawer full of old Harmony remotes - dating back to when Harmony was an independent Canadian company, before Logitech acquired them. They've always solved 95% of the problem - but the remaining 5% was spread amongst each of the source remotes so you still had to keep them around. Now I had n+1 remotes... ☹ -- and like an idiot I keep buying the latest iteration thinking it will solve the problem.

So now I have the Harmony Hub system - controllable from your phone etc. as well as a separate physical remote. Works pretty good, but. But. But I just got a 20' optical cable so I can plug my computer in the den into my main rig in the living room. I got it all set up and working with my Emotiva UMC-200 pre-processor so I can listen to the same music in the den through my Modi 2U and the living room through the Emotiva, but when I went to the Harmony software to set up an action to turn everything on and select Optical 2 input - well, there's no Opt 2 input in the software setup. Just the HDMI inputs - in other words Logitech figured no one would ever want to pick an input that didn't include video...

So it still only does 95% of the job, and I've still got to keep the Emotiva remote around.

Feh.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #9,369 of 151,707
  but when I went to the Harmony software to set up an action to turn everything on and select Optical 2 input - well, there's no Opt 2 input in the software setup.

if you have the original remote couldn't you teach the Harmony the Opt 2 input command?  Some people have even had luck contacting Logitech tech support to have commands added.

In terms of the Mani, I would have considered it but I wanted a phono stage with an A/D in it.  Be nice if Schiit made something like that, esp. given @Baldr history with A/D etc.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #9,370 of 151,707
Originally Posted by artur9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Some people have even had luck contacting Logitech tech support to have commands added.

That'll be my next step.

Originally Posted by artur9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In terms of the Mani, I would have considered it but I wanted a phono stage with an A/D in it.  Be nice if Schiit made something like that, esp. given @Baldr history with A/D etc.

I agree. It would be great to see a Schiit ADC. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #9,372 of 151,707
  For the record, there is no danger of Mani being discontinued for the mid to far term.  We have sold way more than we expected and our users are statistically very happy.

Very glad to hear that.

By coincidence, just this morning in a change of gear priorities I added the Mani to my "A/V gear I want" list, and made it #1. The old Thorens turntable that's been in the closet for 15 years probably still works, but none of my newer gear has phono RIAA circuitry built in anymore. 

From the reviews I've read, the Mani competes extremely well with other phono preamps that sell for 10 times the price. In other words, it's a prototypical piece of Schiit of the highest order. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #9,373 of 151,707
  For the record, there is no danger of Mani being discontinued for the mid to far term.  We have sold way more than we expected and our users are statistically very happy.

I don't use vinyl, but I think what the people who have posted want isn't a Mani 2, but a totally new product at a higher pricepoint and more features. From what I've read the mani kills all competitors in its price range. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #9,374 of 151,707

I don't use vinyl, but I think what the people who have posted want isn't a Mani 2, but a totally new product at a higher pricepoint and more features. From what I've read the mani kills all competitors in its price range. 

Yeah that's pretty Much it.
The Mani Is definitely is the strongest link in my budding analog setup (I already have plans to tweek the rega .While good it is apparent where the corners were cut but I digress, that's for a different thread.).  I have picked up a few of the better quality pressings and the sound is fantastic coming out of the Mani. All these years of digital and you forget what a semi Decent TT with a Proper Phono stage can sound like. Jason Had mentioned Getting into 2 ch. Gear. Which probably means a Larger Chassis and Hopefully a Standard size. I am not sure if there were any size constraints when building the Mani that influenced decisions (as in the Bimby) So It was a thought. As Mike has said it is selling far beyond Expectation so unlike the doomed Loki there is a market for dragging a rock across a piece of plastic. I don't believe it is just the urban outfitters crowd driving the Mani sales. (They are driving a lot of new crappy pressings from what i can see though). If there is a bigger better way to the Mani then I sure as hell would be interested. This is a wish list type thing, nothing more.

On the A/D converter, I will admit at first I had headaches trying to figure why a USB connection is on a TT. Then you run into this world of Vinyl that CD/Digital versions are impossible to find or just never was made. So for the times when you are not hiding in your cave spinning vinyl, your options are what I assume is a very cheaply implemented a/d converter in a lot of these TT's. and from quick searches some other cheapish standalone boxes.  My family is from the Islands and my dad has hundreds of LP's that he has not used in at least 20 years. I am pretty certain that the vast majority of those albums have never made its way to CD and if they have was in small numbers or probably will never be repressed. So what do you do now?  You Clean the hell out of that vinyl and try to get a digital copy to preserve whats there. That's all I can think of. Is there a Huge Market for this? I am not sure, but this weekend at the Record Store that's what the Owner was doing to older not so popular albums that probably never made it to CD.

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #9,375 of 151,707
If Schiit wants to get into more loudspeaker equipment (I guess they're calling it 2-channel...which is weird to me, as that's what headphones are as well), they should consider having a remote.  Not having a remote for headphone gear is fine, as I'm usually close to my amp(s) (I primarily use a Woo WA7, which doesn't have a remote, but I sometimes use my Grace m920's amp as well, which does), but these days, pretty much any decent preamp, integrated amp, or receiver has a remote (and for good reason, as most of the time, your listening position will not be within reach of your equipment).  If Schiit wants to shy away from remotes, they're going to have to put out products at amazing price points, and I think that's going to be much harder in the loudspeaker world than it is the headphone world, when there are many many more companies at all price points to deal with.  I don't think it's impossible, but they will certainly be going up against many other players, including some known for high price/performance (NAD, Parasound, Creek, Exposure, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back