Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 24, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #9,317 of 149,647
As a result, we’ve been putting in a real inventory management system, and recently started using it. Yeah, I know, basic stuff.

It's supposed to be basic, but y'know what?  The people who manage to get it really right become somewhat successful, like for instance Walmart.  Because that is pretty much the story of how Walmart came to dominate the world - the most badass, ahead-of-its-time, real-time-information-providing inventory system in existence.  (Amazon then hired away the guy in charge of managing it.)

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #9,318 of 149,647
  I am understanding this correctly?

Stereo audio gear that has two channels that hooks up to speakers is now called "2 channel"?

While stereo audio gear that has two channels that hooks up to headphones is not ?

Where did that come from?  It makes no sense.

Pretty sure that "2 channel" is intended to distinguish from Home Theatre with 5 (or 7 or 11) channels and speakers. BTW, my speakers system is 2.1 'cuz of the subwoofer.

As for "makes no sense," c'mon - when did anything to do with the audio hobby make the slightest bit of sense?

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #9,319 of 149,647

2-channel. I’m certain you’ll also see the first dedicated 2-channel products from us in 2016. As in preamps and amps. How many products, and when remain to be seen. But you will see some things from us. I hope. And they’ll be very, very cool. I think. At least in part because…

New topology. It’s not often you see radically different stuff on the analog side of things, but I think we’re ready to unveil something I’ve been working on for a couple of years…a new, inherently balanced, current-feedback topology that is not a circlotron, and is not supersymmetry. This is by far the best-performing topology we have ever come up with, both in terms of measurements and (in our opinion) sonics. This topology can stretch from the 2-channel world to the headphone world pretty easily.

My credit card is cringing at this.

I'm constantly impressed with the quality of my Ragnarok/Yggdrassil stack. Music that I've listened to for over 40 years has never sounded better and still has nuances that surprise me.

That said, I've always preferred separate components.

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #9,320 of 149,647
  New topology. It’s not often you see radically different stuff on the analog side of things, but I think we’re ready to unveil something I’ve been working on for a couple of years…a new, inherently balanced, current-feedback topology that is not a circlotron, and is not supersymmetry. This is by far the best-performing topology we have ever come up with, both in terms of measurements and (in our opinion) sonics. This topology can stretch from the 2-channel world to the headphone world pretty easily.

This has got me excited of all your future product allusions.  Coupled with your earlier Vali 2 BJT and bias control opamp discrete output remarks, I'm wondering if some kind of current loop or transresistance amplifier topology might be in the works.  If high bandwidth and slew rate are indeed circuit design goals here, we may well see new amp benchmarks for clarity, fidelity and response.     

Portable? Still not real excited on this one. I know it’s in vogue, and a lot of people want them, but to do it right, it will be huge, hot, and heavy. Wow, that sounded weird. I’m still trying to convince myself we can do something different and meaningful.

Pairing your new amp topology and Mike's closed form oversampling multibit DAC technology in a diminutive portable package would most likely be a game changer.   

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #9,325 of 149,647
2015 Christmas Sales down for Bricks & Mortar outlets who resorted to 20%-50% discounts. 

On-line Christmas Sales up 11% from a year ago.

Overall Christmas Season Sales increase from last year was essentially flat! 

Geez, the World is changing, I was just in a Cadillac Dealer looking at a used Forester.  

Tony in Michigan

ps.  anyone for selling Short on Kohls? 

Dec 25, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #9,326 of 149,647
The 2-channel amp with its new topology is definitely interesting. However, is it Magnepan-worthy?

The Manhattan Project is something I forsee wanting, but I promised myself no purchases until next winter. Besides, we don't even know what it is!

Whatever the secret is seems to be not something too small, and since it isn't a confirmed amp, and not digital, it could be an attenuator preamp or something like that. It'd make sense with the speaker amps in mind. Who knows, I'm always happy to see something new from Schiit, both due to the FAQ and the backstory Jason gives.

Also, I'm not sure if the Modibit is in the works, attempted and given up, or will never be started, but I think it'd be super neat for a $300 multibit Modi. I'm not sure if it'd sell, since the 4492 Bifrost would likely be just as good, but with a different flavour, but I know I'd get a Modibit for school use or for downstairs.
Besides, think of how FUN double sided boards would be! You've got to have some masochism in ya Mike, I'm sure of it!

Keep up another cool year, dudes!

This thread has already convinced me to save my money (or spend any gains from the novel) on a Yggdrasil. I don't listen to anything better than CD or CD quality FLAC/ALAC.

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #9,327 of 149,647
This thread has already convinced me to save my money (or spend any gains from the novel) on a Yggdrasil. I don't listen to anything better than CD or CD quality FLAC/ALAC.

I hope you looked at the Yggy impressions thread as well. Everyone who got one ended at the same place, where they stopped worrying about differences between the Yggy and other DACs and just started listening to the music. I've got the multibit Gungnir and I love it. Never getting another DAC, bought all the headphones I'll need, so all that's left for me is a good tube amp and then it's back to buying music until I get a house. Then it'll be speakers. After that, who knows, maybe I'll start listening to music. :wink:

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #9,328 of 149,647
I hope you looked at the Yggy impressions thread as well. Everyone who got one ended at the same place, where they stopped worrying about differences between the Yggy and other DACs and just started listening to the music. I've got the multibit Gungnir and I love it. Never getting another DAC, bought all the headphones I'll need, so all that's left for me is a good tube amp and then it's back to buying music until I get a house. Then it'll be speakers. After that, who knows, maybe I'll start listening to music.
wink.gif

I'm glad you didn't have to save up for 5 years to get what you wanted.
beerchug.gif

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #9,329 of 149,647
I hope you looked at the Yggy impressions thread as well. Everyone who got one ended at the same place, where they stopped worrying about differences between the Yggy and other DACs and just started listening to the music. I've got the multibit Gungnir and I love it. Never getting another DAC, bought all the headphones I'll need, so all that's left for me is a good tube amp and then it's back to buying music until I get a house. Then it'll be speakers. After that, who knows, maybe I'll start listening to music.
wink.gif

That was my experience to when i upgraded Bifrost to MB 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back