Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 12, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #9,076 of 150,332
  @bigro:    hahahaha...loved your post.    I think I may be a similar position too...im hanging out on Schiits website and somehow a Vali2 keeps finding its way into my shopping cart.   If only i could find the button to undo that....hmmm...maybe its the "submit" button you referenced?   hahahahah  

Of course, now that i think of it,  a Vali2 would make a nice bookend with my Mangi2U @ work!

Peace .n. Audio Goodness

3ToF

You don't want to listen to my way of getting the Vali 2 out of the cart. That's like a newly wed asking a divorced guy for marriage advice, it will only get you in trouble.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #9,077 of 150,332
That is really an excellent ad.  Very well done - I love it!

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #9,078 of 150,332
  Those shelves full of CDs really drive home the message...well done Jason.

Yeah, that guy really does have a lot of CDs.

I like the not-so-subtle "Best way to listen to CDs is with one of these!"

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #9,079 of 150,332
Although you cannot see it at the embedded ad image resolution, the guy is listening to a playlist on the computer next to him, with the bit depth and sampling rate clearly specified as 16/44...which, no matter how much we'd all like native high res all the time, is the format of >99.9% of the digital music available today.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 12, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #9,080 of 150,332
I just pulled the trigger and bought the Vali 2. I've been wanting this amp for a long while. I love the Vali. It gets a tremendous amount of playing time in my house. As much as my ragnarok. The sacrifices to get that tone and musical happiness never bothered me. But now I'm like ok. If this captures the magic of the Vali, plus some tweaks and features, i will buy a second for my office system.

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #9,081 of 150,332

... As I pondered the aspect of a better Vali At some point I ended up on the Schitt Website reading the specs and at some point a Vali 2 Fell in the cart. In My attempts to get it out of the cart I accidentally hit the Submit button. That's My story and I am sticking to it.

I had a similar problem with Bimby, I only put it in the cart so I could find out the postage to Australia ...  
cool.gif

Edit: Seeing I asked for it back in February
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/5325#post_11332957
I guess I should check Vali 2 out (didn't get 2 inputs, but I s'pose, given the size, it was a case of 2 inputs or pre-out )

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #9,082 of 150,332
Ok...ive got a "DAC for dummies" question....spurred on by Jasons posted advertisement.  That ad absolutely speaks to me as i have a poopton of media on CD.

My question:   How do you drive a DAC using a CD as a source?    Ive always thought, and used, DACs for music sourced from computer? 
Is there a way to feed a CD player digital output into a DAC?   (sorry if its crazy obvious, ive just never thought to use DACs for CD).

Peace .n. Living in Stereo

3ToF

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #9,083 of 150,332
  My question:   How do you drive a DAC using a CD as a source?    Ive always thought, and used, DACs for music sourced from computer? 
Is there a way to feed a CD player digital output into a DAC?   (sorry if its crazy obvious, ive just never thought to use DACs for CD).

Most decent CD players have at least optical output (Toslink S/PDIF), so you just use it as a transport and feed the digital signal to the DAC.

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #9,084 of 150,332
Ok...ive got a "DAC for dummies" question....spurred on by Jasons posted advertisement.  That ad absolutely speaks to me as i have a poopton of media on CD.

Peace .n. Living in Stereo

3ToF

No sweat - lots of CDs players have digital outputs. Usually either optical or digital coax, or both. . So that outputs before it reaches the cd player's internal dac.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #9,085 of 150,332

Yep, you'll start seeing us (a bit) more...it's time the more traditional audio community knew about the DACs, at least.

And yes, the ad is deliberately provocative. After so many years of hearing the drumbeat for "high res, high res, DSD, DSD," and hearing about how every new DAC could do 24/96, 24/192, 32/384, 64/768, DSD256, DSD512, DSD1024, I figured that many audiophiles might want to, well, buy a DAC made for the music they had, rather than the <0.1% of music that is available in high-res. The euphoria over high-res seemed to gloss over the implication, which was: "Yes, and this also means re-buying all of your favorite music...are you cool with that? Again?"

We'll see if the message resonates, or if the Audio 1% take up pitchforks.

Honestly that's brilliant, looks good makes and makes a great point! 

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #9,086 of 150,332

Yep, you'll start seeing us (a bit) more...it's time the more traditional audio community knew about the DACs, at least.

And yes, the ad is deliberately provocative. After so many years of hearing the drumbeat for "high res, high res, DSD, DSD," and hearing about how every new DAC could do 24/96, 24/192, 32/384, 64/768, DSD256, DSD512, DSD1024, I figured that many audiophiles might want to, well, buy a DAC made for the music they had, rather than the <0.1% of music that is available in high-res. The euphoria over high-res seemed to gloss over the implication, which was: "Yes, and this also means re-buying all of your favorite music...are you cool with that? Again?"

Very Nice indeed, it is all about years of collecting "tangible" media and just enjoy it to it's fullest, I would love to see dedicated CD transport to further convey the message ,on the other note I have ripped lots of my original CD's to my computer so it is ALL GOOD.....GOOD JOB!!!

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #9,087 of 150,332
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that is a Straw Man argument.

If you take a 24/192 recording - or a 24/192 transfer of an analog master tape - and you down convert it to 16/44.1, the 24/192 will sound better (whether most people can hear a difference is a different argument that should not be rekindled in this thread, thanks).

But, for most 1960s and 1970s albums, the early CD releases sound better than any later release.  And, in some cases, an expert vinyl rip (i.e. done by someone who has been doing that for years) sounds even slightly better than the early CD - despite the added distortion and coloration added by the RIAA EQ step, lathe electronics, phono preamp, and much-worse-than-burrito-level ADC used by hobbyists.

I've encountered enough of this phenomenon (and heard enough new master tapes in the studio) to come to the conclusion that the aging of analog master tapes is a much bigger factor than previously thought - exceeding the audio benefit of any of the advances in technology that have occurred in the last 40 years.  So, the best possible transfer in 2015 of those old rock classics that still dominate audiophile listening, is still worse than the 1980's CD release.

Of course, this is still a great advertisement for Multibit DACs, and the mega-combo-burrito filter - but it is a different argument.

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #9,088 of 150,332
  I think that is a Straw Man argument.

If you take a 24/192 recording - or a 24/192 transfer of an analog master tape - and you down convert it to 16/44.1, the 24/192 will sound better (whether most people can hear a difference is a different argument that should not be rekindled in this thread, thanks).

But, for most 1960s and 1970s albums, the early CD releases sound better than any later release.  And, in some cases, an expert vinyl rip (i.e. done by someone who has been doing that for years) sounds even slightly better than the early CD - despite the added distortion and coloration added by the RIAA EQ step, lathe electronics, phono preamp, and much-worse-than-burrito-level ADC used by hobbyists.

I've encountered enough of this phenomenon (and heard enough new master tapes in the studio) to come to the conclusion that the aging of analog master tapes is a much bigger factor than previously thought - exceeding the audio benefit of any of the advances in technology that have occurred in the last 40 years.  So, the best possible transfer in 2015 of those old rock classics that still dominate audiophile listening, is still worse than the 1980's CD release.

Of course, this is still a great advertisement for Multibit DACs, and the mega-combo-burrito filter - but it is a different argument.

I've encounted the same thing,  I prefer Vinyl for anything before 1980 an the challenge is finding a GOOD Vinyl Rip but 9/10 those rips tend to have the best quality of sound, 1980ish CDs are hit an miss an after the 90s the CDs tend to sound better

Nice point, an I think Jason understands a lot of that to 

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #9,089 of 150,332
The best part of the ad, is that those DAC's will do exactly what the ad says they will- bring out the music from a CD like it has not been heard before, right in the comfort of your home.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #9,090 of 150,332
  The best part of the ad, is that those DAC's will do exactly what the ad says they will- bring out the music from a CD like it has not been heard before, right in the comfort of your home.

Hmm I wish I could hear one honestly,

though tbh my Balanced NFB10ES2 dac does a helluva job, though I have a Furman Power Conditioner for both my PC an the Dac/Amp which really helped in squeezing out the last bits of detail from it imo

still I am curious I would imagine to the Drivers on the Schiit Dac are MILES ahead of those for my Audio GD, in terms of combatibility 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back