Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 13, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #9,106 of 150,256
Mr. Anavel0, 

I'm an Industry participant, we provide Audio to every single person with a Driver's License buying a Car,  ( that's over 16 Million Audio Systems per year ), we have about 240 Million Audio Systems in daily use in the USA .

Aside from the above, I was active as an Audio Importer thru the early 1980s, a Audio Retailer ( Esoteric Audio in Farmington Hills, Michigan) and an Audio Industry Manufacturer.  

If we look at the entirety of Audio Sales today we'd see Analog Vinyl as tiny crumbs or grains of salt on the dining room table after dinner.

Analog is Dead, even if some still love it ( as I always did, I was a Koetsu collector ).  

Today, Schiit is producing Product with Dynamic Range capability of 122db. The best Sheffield Vinyl achieved around 55db ( and that's with everything below 150hz. rolled into Mono. )  

I know that Roy Hall is providing cheapo record players that are being sold at non-traditional outlets ( with reported brisk sales ).  The buyers of these players are buying vinyl at Garage Sales, ebay and some other Jumble sale outlets. 

And I realize that famous people like Todd the Vinyl Junkie touts his 12,000 Vinyl collection ( perhaps as a beacon to other 'True-Believers' )

Still, an important fact is emerging; people are using their iPhones as their 'one & only' Audio System.  

The World changed. 

Linn still make the LP12, Vpi still offer players, phono carts are still available but none of these folks are surviving off 33 Sales, all of them are migrating to product for the larger world of Digital.

Digital broke my High-End Audio Business Heart in 1985 but now I'm recovered and doing quite well.

A tiny sliver of my 1985 Customer Base still play Vinyl ( occasionally ) but they're buying Schiit stuff not Koetsu stuff.  ( and they complain about spending $50 for a new Vinyl Release of Music from Artists they don't enjoy ).   

Tony in Michigan

ps.  Reference Recordings new Saint Seans recording was done in 24 bit.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #9,107 of 150,256
So when can I beg Schiit to make a hybrid tube radio tuner now that everyone else has ceased doing so?

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #9,109 of 150,256

Mr.watchnerd,

Do you have listenable Radio Stations?, in CA of all places!

They still do in Canada but you can get those on iTunes.

Are you an NPR fan?

I wonder how many cases of 35 year old Scotch it'd take to get Stoddard to bend to your wishes?

Might be cheaper to find a Marantz 7b on ebay.

There's probably an iPhone Ap for tuning in FM.

Tony in Michigan

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #9,110 of 150,256
This looks pretty sweet. 
popcorn.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #9,111 of 150,256

Now we just need a SYS Uber for $79 that matches the case finish of the new small Uber line.

(only half-joking... I'd buy it)

Wyrd 2. All the way. Don't even care if it changes the function at all. I must have it in aluminum. :)

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #9,115 of 150,256

Wyrd 2. All the way. Don't even care if it changes the function at all. I must have it in aluminum. :)

So just do it in aluminum and call it a "2"?  Or some functional changes as well?  A Wyrd with tubes, maybe?

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #9,117 of 150,256

So just do it in aluminum and call it a "2"?  Or some functional changes as well?  A Wyrd with tubes, maybe?

Personally, I'd like a Wyrd-like box that converts USB to AES and/or S/PDIF. Preferably cheaper than the Berkeley Alpha USB. Converters ain't cheap, but even if it was $600-800 it would still be a good value.

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #9,119 of 150,256
Well Mr. Stoddard and Mr. Moffat, I have ordered up my first piece of Schiit!!! 
cool.gif

The Vali 2 will be my first piece of tube gear as well.

I am hoping I will love it, and that it will work well with my headphone collection. Audio Technica ATH-M50X, Beats Solo2, Grado SR80i, Sennheiser HD 419, Sennheiser HD 598, Sennheiser HD 650, etc. Pretty much all easy to drive stuff except the Senn 650's, and I don't think even those are considered too difficult to drive. 

I am looking forward to tube rolling (I have a lot to learn in respect to this) and also giving it a go as a tube preamp in my full size system. Having not heard any tube gear before, I am curious to see what I have been missing out on.

I think this is going to be a fun new toy to play with.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #9,120 of 150,256
Personally, I'd like a Wyrd-like box that converts USB to AES and/or S/PDIF. Preferably cheaper than the Berkeley Alpha USB. Converters ain't cheap, but even if it was $600-800 it would still be a good value.

Modi 2 Uber. Just use the RCA S/PDIF out and use a coax cable and put an XLR male on the other end: instant USB -> AES. And if you're really worried, you can get a cheap S/PDIF to AES converter. I have one in a storage box I never need anymore.

You must be using real ProAudio stuff to be wanting/needing AES/EBU digital interface. I wonder if Schiit will ever make anything with Word Clock i/o. Likely not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back