Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 10, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #8,611 of 150,898
Let's turn this into a [REDACTED] thread.... 
wink_face.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #8,612 of 150,898
  Let's turn this into a [REDACTED] thread.... 
wink_face.gif

Lots of [REDACTED] coming next year...I've provided some hints in past chapters.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 10, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #8,615 of 150,898

Lots of [REDACTED] coming next year...I've provided some hints in past chapters.

E-stat combo, including a bottle of your preferred whisky, 3 k€, leaving Orpheus 2 in the dust. Now you may confess 
ph34r.gif

BTW, owning a Vali and a Modi2uber, I'll have the privilege to hear some Bimby and Yggy in ten days on my e-stat rigs...can't wait 
redface.gif

Ali

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #8,616 of 150,898

HAHA. The hell? Since when was Sears an authorized Schiit dealer???

Sears.com allows third party listings- the same as Amazon- ie a company can list their product for sale at Sears, fulfill it from their warehouse, and Sears will take a cut of the money.  The PYST RCA listing is from a drop shipper.  If you were to place an order at Sears.com then a person or computer program at the third party supplier would turn around and order the item for you from our Amazon.com inventory.  When the dust settled, they'd probably pocket $20 - $25 after shipping and sears.com took their cut.  I chase drop shippers who are selling Schiit off of Amazon all the time.  The upside of the drop shipper model is you don't carry inventory.  Much of the task of identifying product, listing, and pricing is done by software.  Many of the drop shippers eventually get banned because of cancelled orders and late delivery.  Since drop shippers don't carry inventory if their supplier is out of stock or late in shipping then the drop shipper has a pissed off customer who will leave negative feedback  Enough negative feedback will get your account closed.

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #8,617 of 150,898

HAHA. The hell? Since when was Sears an authorized Schiit dealer???

Sears.com allows third party listings- the same as Amazon- ie a company can list their product for sale at Sears, fulfill it from their warehouse, and Sears will take a cut of the money.  The PYST RCA listing is from a drop shipper.  If you were to place an order at Sears.com then a person or computer program at the third party supplier would turn around and order the item for you from our Amazon.com inventory.  When the dust settled, they'd probably pocket $20 - $25 after shipping and sears.com took their cut.  I chase drop shippers who are selling Schiit off of Amazon all the time.  The upside of the drop shipper model is you don't carry inventory.  Much of the task of identifying product, listing, and pricing is done by software.  Many of the drop shippers eventually get banned because of cancelled orders and late delivery.  Since drop shippers don't carry inventory if their supplier is out of stock or late in shipping then the drop shipper has a pissed off customer who will leave negative feedback  Enough negative feedback will get your account closed.

Never used one before but if I do I'll certainly watch out. Don't want to get seared from a bad deal :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #8,618 of 150,898

I take it the "Authorized Dealers" Selling Bifrosts and people Selling Vali's For $160 On Ebay Fall Under this Category?

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #8,619 of 150,898

My mom had a bad experience on Sears.com with one of these "drop shippers". The item was way overpriced (but she didn't realize till after she placed the order). We tried to cancel the order almost immediately but could not get in touch with the seller (the order status switched to "sent to warehouse" almost immediately). She contacted Sears directly and they basically washed their hands of it (i.e. "not our problem - contact the 3rd part seller").

We were never able to cancel. The item eventually arrived but it took many weeks.

The sellers take advantage of less Internet savvy shoppers who "trust" the the Sears brand and Sears lets them do it.

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #8,620 of 150,898

I take it the "Authorized Dealers" Selling Bifrosts and people Selling Vali's For $160 On Ebay Fall Under this Category?

Schiit does not list on Ebay.  Our dealer policies specifically prohibit Ebay sales.  Therefore, any sale on Ebay would not be authorized.  Ebay is great for the second-hand market, it's just not how we want to sell our new gear.

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #8,621 of 150,898
Are we going to see a MUMBY?  (Magni 2 Uber Multibit?)

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #8,622 of 150,898

They barely managed (with certain compromises) to squeeze it into Bifrost chassis, I don't see it possible in a much smaller, sub-$150 product.
Unless it's going to be even more compromised, beating the whole purpose of such non-trivial exercise. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #8,623 of 150,898

That comes after the Magni 2 Plus with the stepped attenuator featuring Vishay resistors. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #8,624 of 150,898
All,
I want to thank you for the detailed information about 16/44.1 vs. remastered 24/96 sound quality.  My only remaining question is - how do I tell if the original 16/44.1 was well-produced, without buying the CD and taking my chances?  It's less expensive to purchase CD's than 24/96 albums from HD Tracks.

Cheers -
RCB

Nov 10, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #8,625 of 150,898
  All,
I want to thank you for the detailed information about 16/44.1 vs. remastered 24/96 sound quality.  My only remaining question is - how do I tell if the original 16/44.1 was well-produced, without buying the CD and taking my chances?  It's less expensive to purchase CD's than 24/96 albums from HD Tracks.

Cheers -
RCB

The "Dynamic Range Database" is one place to start.  Good dynamic range is not a completely reliable, or all-encompassing, measure of production quality or standards, but if the dynamic range is compressed artificially then it certainly doesn't help sound quality.

Also you can compare Redbook (16/44.1) vs. HD offerings for some albums - and if the HD offerings are showing the same dynamic range as the Redbook then it's a good indication that nothing much, if anything, is improved.  In such cases, absent other knowledge about mastering etc. I'd opt for the 16/44.1 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back