Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 9, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #8,596 of 150,197
I've imported some GreatfulDead and it sounded great and seemed like allot of "space" to the music, but. The guitar and vocals didn't show well, they kinda seemed muffled. I was using the USB input and the CD was imported around 700mb and I think the bit rate was in "256 Kbps"
Has anyone els heard this?
Thank you

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #8,597 of 150,197
  Great deal here, people. Pyst cables on sale for a limited time only, just $53. That's 4 bucks off the list price. 

http://www.sears.com/schiit-pyst-rca-cables-6-inches-tvs-electronics/p-SPM11798476630?sid=IDx20140425xECNMPTV27&sdc_id=927089371350

LOL - those are $20 direct from schiit.com

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #8,601 of 150,197
I've imported some GreatfulDead and it sounded great and seemed like allot of "space" to the music, but. The guitar and vocals didn't show well, they kinda seemed muffled. I was using the USB input and the CD was imported around 700mb and I think the bit rate was in "256 Kbps"
Thank you

256 is MP3. Is it studio GD or a live recording? Some of their live concert tapes originate from the front-of-house mix, which can be less-than-outstanding. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #8,604 of 150,197
I just checked one of my valhalla2 tubes was loose, it sounds a little better now. The vocals are still lacking and some cymbals.
256 is MP3. Is it studio GD or a live recording? Some of their live concert tapes originate from the front-of-house mix, which can be less-than-outstanding. 

Is it an audience "bootleg" recording, or a mixed soundboard + audience matrix? That could account for it sounding far away. 

PS- Glad you found that loose tube and got it back in place.

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #8,605 of 150,197
I'll have to check latter, it's a concert CD (live) I did check the back of it and it said some of the audio was as best cleared up but some was lost.
Is it an audience "bootleg" recording, or a mixed soundboard + audience matrix? That could account for it sounding far away. 

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #8,608 of 150,197
Thank you

As US Blues asked, are you ripping to MP3's? Was the Total Size of the album after it was ripped 700Mb? Does not compute. Unless you ripped to WAV. files . Most albums even if ripped to flac are somewhere in the ballpark of 300 Mb. Please be specific in what you are ripping to and what application are you using? .Exact Audio Copy Will Rip to Flac and its free.....

A suggestion to verify if the cd is just a low quality version is to try playing the CD through the DAC if your cd player has an optical connection or even through the CD Drive in your computer. If it sounds better then its probably they way you are ripping the album. If it sounds the same then its a possible poor version of the CD or something in your chain. As some have stated some Versions of the same Album can sound different.

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #8,609 of 150,197
Let's not turn this into a tech support thread, shall we....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back