Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 22, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #6,451 of 149,199
  What I dislike most: my amp has only one output. And one volume control. It makes the music difficult to share with my family and friends, and I'm forced to resort to speakers, even though we have enough headphones between us. That's the thing I dislike most. I'd like to be able to listen together, not one at a time.

This is something I thought about in the past (I was like "Why Did no one think about this before?!"), but after some careful thought, it was clear why:
Why have 1 amp with two headphone jacks instead of two different amps? If you can split the line form the dac in two and send it to two AMPS, you can both listen at the same time, and when you are alone you get two different amps (note that making one amp would make two headphone jacks work as good as a single headphone jack would require two circuits anyway :D.).

Personally My plan is to have one "fun" set and one "neutral" set.

FUN: HE-400 modded+Bifrost Uber+Asgard 1
Neutral: Sennheiser HD800 or HD600+BIfrost Uber+Woo Audio 6.

Once I got those, Next step is finding a girlfriend. No way she lets me buy both sets if I meet her before I get those :D. (I guessing here, last girl I met stopped dating me when she figured out that one headphone "is not enough" for me... Id make the shoes argument, but whats the point).

May 22, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #6,452 of 149,199
  Now that the SqueezeBox duet and other Squeezebox variants are discontinued....A device like that in a similar price bracket would be great!!   The Aurilic Aries looks great....but it ....errr little expensive really.    The Squeeze box had every feature you could ever need really.   You wouldn't need to build a remote either, everyone has a smart phone these days and if they don't they probably would be able to figure out how to use it.  

+1

This would certainly suit me: especially if it worked with iPeng!

May 22, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #6,453 of 149,199
  This is something I thought about in the past (I was like "Why Did no one think about this before?!"), but after some careful thought, it was clear why:
Why have 1 amp with two headphone jacks instead of two different amps? If you can split the line form the dac in two and send it to two AMPS, you can both listen at the same time, and when you are alone you get two different amps (note that making one amp would make two headphone jacks work as good as a single headphone jack would require two circuits anyway :D.).

Once I got those, Next step is finding a girlfriend. No way she lets me buy both sets if I meet her before I get those :D. (I guessing here, last girl I met stopped dating me when she figured out that one headphone "is not enough" for me... Id make the shoes argument, but whats the point).

Wow, you didn't even marry her and she was whinging about headphones.

May 22, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #6,455 of 149,199

Yes I scared one lass, when I told her how much my Ragnarok was. She said I was bonkers and that was the last time I have seen her. I do not drink, do drugs, gamble or even play golf, so why do people weird out over such spending lol.

May 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #6,456 of 149,199
Yes I scared one lass, when I told her how much my Ragnarok was. She said I was bonkers and that was the last time I have seen her. I do not drink, do drugs, gamble or even play golf, so why do people weird out over such spending lol.
"Well, I would never spend that much money on something like that, so it must be dumb!"
-those people

May 22, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #6,457 of 149,199
"Well, I would never spend that much money on something like that, so it must be dumb!"
-those people

Yes, the people (ladies) who think a 5,000 dollar handbag is gorgeous and a 1,000 dollar Christian Louboutin shoe is good value....

Sigh.... :)

Point is: if that's a reason to leave a relationship, she wasn't worth it. It's a very immature and stupid thing to do. :)

May 22, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #6,458 of 149,199
Yes, the people (ladies) who think a 5,000 dollar handbag is gorgeous and a 1,000 dollar Christian Louboutin shoe is good value....

Point is: if that's a reason to leave a relationship, she wasn't worth it. It's a very immature and stupid thing to do. :)

+1 Well said.

May 22, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #6,459 of 149,199
-those people

Yes those type of judgmental muggles never cease to amuse me .

May 22, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #6,460 of 149,199

Hey, I won't judge them for the $5,000 handbag if it makes them happy (and it isn't my money).

May 22, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #6,462 of 149,199

You have the SS amp as "FUN" and the tube amp for "Neutral"?

Oh and the WA6 does have two outputs, although I don't know if they both work at the same time.

May 22, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #6,463 of 149,199
Hi Jason,

My idea for an end-game preamp would be an active stereo preamp AND monitor controller to put between the sources and the monitors (or power amp), but also between the sources and the headphone amp(s)

featuring:

A) Multiple FIXED-volume line-level outs that would just connect the preamp to someone's headphone amps.
This way, you can put the preamp between the sources and some power amp, but also between the sources and the headphone amps.
Like, two balanced and two unbalanced stereo line-level outs, so that you can easily send the signal to different amplifying devices.

You would get all the audiophiles that may just need a switcher, or that like their integrated amp and whatever.

B) multiple of balanced variable volume outs

C) And I want a mono switch for those outs!

So...

- 2 fixed-volume stereo balanced outs
- 2 fixed-volume stereo unbalanced outs
- 2 variable-volume stereo balanced outs
- 1 variable volume stereo unbalanced outs
- 3 balanced ins

- All the unbalanced ins that you want

Will they ever fit behind a Ragnar-sized preamp?

Then, on the front:

- mono switch
- mute switch

- inputs switch
- outputs switch

- volume knob

:D

Cheers

May 22, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #6,464 of 149,199

My emotive DC-1 has 2 headphone jacks each with its own amp.   I don't use the amp in the DC-1, I only use it as a DAC to drive my Lyr. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back