Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #5,432 of 150,438
Marketing gets people interested.  But if you buy based on marketing you are being foolish.

Unfortunatly, that makes the huge majority foolish. There's a reason why pre-ordering games is so popular, and every non-audiophile who likes music wants Beats.

There are some reasonable things to pre-order (if people insist). Like GTA5 (not my cup of tea). Everyone knows its an extremely well made, good game. Reviewers who got to test it on PC said they couldn't find anything wrong with the port, yet Rockstar still pushed the release back becuase it was good enough. But that preorder wouldn't be based on hype or marketing

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #5,434 of 150,438
How would you guys compare this two companies: Ifi audio vs Schiit audio

Ifi rack vs Schiit stack for example.

iFi injects too much audiophoole witchcraft and superstition into their marketing descriptions.  That, plus I bought and compared their iUSB Power device side by side with a Wyrd, and immediately sold the iFi box to some other phoole on Fleabay.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #5,435 of 150,438
And by the way, I was a Kickstarter Pono supporter not because I thought it would change the audio world as we know it and induce multiple eargasms, but because I like supporting new audio ventures when I can afford to do so (and I now have a CSN&Y signed limited edition model that at the very least is a nice conversation starter.)

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #5,436 of 150,438
And by the way, I was a Kickstarter Pono supporter not because I thought it would change the audio world as we know it and induce multiple eargasms, but because I like supporting new audio ventures when I can afford to do so (and I now have a CSN&Y signed limited edition model that at the very least is a nice conversation starter.)

That's actually pretty awesome. I will say pono (and even beats) is part of a seemingly good slight reboot of real audio coming back. I see more actual headphones now a days then I see ear-buds. Even products like these push the industry forward, which is a good thing. But there are growing pains, unfortunately, some products will be slightly more of the "pain" side then the growing side. At least some true audio products are going mainstream.

I have turned people 180 degrees. Wanting beats, wanting beats, wanting beats. I hand them one of my $8 Sony zx-100s (on sale anyways, the new versions are coming out, they are legitimately and weridly great). Explodes their minds.

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #5,437 of 150,438
Beats. I've heard a couple pairs. They don't suck that much. As noted, bassy, on purpose I'm sure. A bit muddy, a bit shrill. The Bluetooth ones I heard were pretty decent, all told. If you like the look, they look ok. I figure @ $300, you get about $200 worth oh headphones and $100 worth of "style". Not that bad a deal, if style matters and you like a pretty bass boosted "V" signature. No, I don't own a pair. They aren't my style or preferred signature. Still, they really don't seem to suck so much to me.

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #5,438 of 150,438
I just came to the sudden realization. If I were to spend money on a name headphone, ($300 for beats) heh, I'd get Momentums. (Portable wise of course)

That is a product that is doing a fantastic job at bridging the gap. I mean there are better sound to price ratio headphones, but you're also paying for build quality with those. Although there is 0 chance I'd ever buy them. Again my pre-modded T50RPs cost $189

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #5,439 of 150,438
Beats. I've heard a couple pairs. They don't suck that much. As noted, bassy, on purpose I'm sure. A bit muddy, a bit shrill. The Bluetooth ones I heard were pretty decent, all told. If you like the look, they look ok. I figure @ $300, you get about $200 worth oh headphones and $100 worth of "style". Not that bad a deal, if style matters and you like a pretty bass boosted "V" signature. No, I don't own a pair. They aren't my style or preferred signature. Still, they really don't seem to suck so much to me.

Exactly. There have been some terrible Beats models in the past, but the current Studio ("2" or "2013" revision) is really a pretty midgrade headphone for the category. I ranked it close to the middle, and it would have ranked significantly higher if it were more comfortable and the ANC didn't emit a constant hiss.

I've learned a lot from doing that mega-review. Three well-regarded models around here — Blue Mo-Fi, Sony MDR-1R, Sennheiser Momentum — were among my least favorite. Judge with an open mind and don't make any assumptions from brand names.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #5,440 of 150,438

My ideal DAP would use alkaline batteries; meaning I could substitute - rechargeable - Eneloops. No more fussing with airport usb ports at the airport. Just drop in the gift shop and buy some alkalines to get home with in a pinch. Unlike tradition NIxx batteries, Eneloops will hold a static charge for years.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #5,442 of 150,438

My ideal DAP would use alkaline batteries; meaning I could substitute - rechargeable - Eneloops. No more fussing with airport usb ports at the airport. Just drop in the gift shop and buy some alkalines to get home with in a pinch. Unlike tradition NIxx batteries, Eneloops will hold a static charge for years.

Use your phone and a Pico Power. Problem solved!

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #5,443 of 150,438

I'm not going to buy an amp that looks like a hobbyist kit in an ugly black box, because I'm not going to fill my desk with ugly equipment. I buy Schiit gear not only because it performs well, but because it's attractive and practical. When I got a Mjolnir, I upgraded from a Bifrost Uber to a Gungnir mostly so they would match and be stackable, not because I thought I'd notice a sound difference. (I haven't.) And I'd love the power switches to be moved to the front, even if it meant everything gets an inch wider and cost $25 more, because I don't want to leave these drawing 75W+ and emitting all of that heat constantly.

Seriously. One of the most pernicious commonplaces of the audiophile world is "the sound is what matters anyway." Well, no.

Why do you want it your music to sound good? Because you appreciate beautiful things done well.  Which is precisely the same reason why you'd want your equipment to look good, too. Yes, the sound is "functional" and the appearance isn't; but when your function is purely aesthetic in the first place, it's silly to pretend like only one of your senses matters.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #5,444 of 150,438
It would be interesting to know what is Jason's take or opinion on crowd funded audiophile projects or if ever schitt would go to that route or something along IFI's crowd designed project route?

Speaking for myself and not for Jason or Mike, I don't want to take your money until I have your product in my hand ready to be put in to a box.  We hate pre-orders and backorders because it means we have a bunch of people that are waiting for us to get our Schiit together and ship their product.  We don't even take money from Paypal or your bank until we are ready to put the shipping label on your box.  If we did crowd funding, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I have your money in our bank and have nothing to send you.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #5,445 of 150,438

Speaking for myself and not for Jason or Mike, I don't want to take your money until I have your product in my hand ready to be put in to a box.  We hate pre-orders and backorders because it means we have a bunch of people that are waiting for us to get our Schiit together and ship their product.  We don't even take money from Paypal or your bank until we are ready to put the shipping label on your box.  If we did crowd funding, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I have your money in our bank and have nothing to send you.

Nice to see a sense of ethics in business. Kudos to Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back