Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 25, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #2,356 of 150,571
  Sami - an altar to confirm receptiveness! Cool!* But maybe that would be a better name for another DAC -- or an outboard world clock. Now there's a niche product!

Alternatively, a server could be considered magic for regeneration:

Sàmi is also the name of a people and their language. Incidentally they live in Sweden, Finland and Norway. The name makes me immediately think of joik, reindeer and great fishing in the midnight sun. And souvas...
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #2,357 of 150,571
Sàmi is also the name of a people and their language. Incidentally they live in Sweden, Finland and Norway. The name makes me immediately think of joik, reindeer and great fishing in the midnight sun. And souvas... :tongue_smile:

They are a people (or, to be pedantic - a group of peoples), some of which (or all; my knowledge of things Sámi is very limited!) refer to some locations believed to have special, spiritual properties as sieidis.

To put it more concisely - sieidi is Sámi hallowed ground, more or less.

Fun fact: the municipality in Norway with the largest Sámi population is Oslo, the capital city. Obviously, the Sámi in Oslo do not observe the lifestyle you'd typically think of as Sámi... :)

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #2,359 of 150,571
  But I just can't get behind Hlidskialf as a product name for anything English speakers have to pronounce. I mean, can you pronounce (or even remember) the name of that ¿Finnish? volcano that blew up a few years ago and shut down travel over European airspace? I can't even remember enough letters in a row to google it. I do remember that watching North American newscasters trying to pronounce it made for a good drinking game… :wink:

Icelandic volcano, if I may help out here. And its name is Vatnajökull. :)

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #2,361 of 150,571
  My Macbook delivery was delayed by Eyjafjallajökull. Also Icelandic...

Looks like I was wrong and it was indeed Eyjafjallajökull. Vatnajökull is merely the more known (and, as far as I know, bigger) brother of it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #2,363 of 150,571
Hello from Michigan ,

Having complex and interesting terminology keeps-out the Riff-Raff , something you Germans should understand properly : you won't see the Beats people trying anything that requires reasoning to present their ****y products .   

Love your comments and Love the Fatherland 

Tony 

I'm a Schiit & Sennheiser guy

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #2,365 of 150,571
  Hello from Michigan ,

Having complex and interesting terminology keeps-out the Riff-Raff , something you Germans should understand properly : you won't see the Beats people trying anything that requires reasoning to present their ****y products .   

Love your comments and Love the Fatherland 

Tony 

I'm a Schiit & Sennheiser guy

Cheers

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #2,367 of 150,571
Eagerly awaiting tomorrow's Yggy story. Also, Mike, when can we expect a follow-up from you?

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #2,368 of 150,571
  Eagerly awaiting tomorrow's Yggy story. Also, Mike, when can we expect a follow-up from you?

Follow-up or no (tho, a follow-up would be nice 
rolleyes.gif
), I would love to descend on their offices one Friday afternoon late. Take a tour, as things are wrapping up. Then sit around and chat over Pizza & Wine. Would I endure the mad weekend exodus from Los Angeles for this? YES!!! 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #2,369 of 150,571
Looks like I was wrong and it was indeed Eyjafjallajökull. Vatnajökull is merely the more known (and, as far as I know, bigger) brother of it. Thanks for pointing it out.

The erudite, well educated, worldliness, Folks on the Schiit Thread, truly impressive!!
Cheers! :beers:

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #2,370 of 150,571

And I still thought it made a good drinking game watching American Speaking Newscasters try to pronounce that stuff.

God* help us all if Schiit ever decides to name a product Eyjafjallajökull.

*Or Odin… :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back