Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 23, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #2,341 of 149,007
smiley_thumb.gif
 Tube Buffer: now we talkin'...

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #2,343 of 149,007
Aug 24, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #2,346 of 149,007
I was fantasizing about the Ragnarok fixed feedback circuitry applied to 300B output to enable the system to remain stable with any headphone impedance, add in the switched attenuator circuitry and other Mike Moffat magic sauce to keep the S/N high enough for headphone use...  could be a killer solution...

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #2,347 of 149,007
I didn't laugh ... I really SHOULDN'T have laughed ... not so loud ... I live in a flat. **** that - let the neighbours awaken ...

"this system really did sound like bats with clothespins on their testicles"

Start co-writing with Jason - what a brilliant simile!  I even put clothespins on my testicles to get an idea of what it sounded like ... my falsetto immediately went in to a harsh hash.  I actually had to plug a 300b into my rectum to smooth things out a little and restore equillibium ... and that made my pet gerbil VERY jealous ... (what can I say - she's quite possessive ...).

A man has to know what makes him.happy lol. Sorry your overly possessive gerbil is jealous lol. Have a good day Mate.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #2,348 of 149,007
  The only cool thing about older schools were the mimeograph machines which made copies that all of the future audiophiles and drug addicts used to sniff.

I loved sniffing the mimeograph copies back in elementary school. I guess that decided my future way early on, one way or the other. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #2,349 of 149,007
Really interested in hearing the Ragnarok. How long until it will be available in the EU?

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,351 of 149,007
I also lost the active eq, switching to passive, which allowed my Theta Preamp to be the first 6DJ8, passive equalization, NO feedback design.

I heard a friend's system with that preamp in the late '80s/early '90s.  I still remember how terrific the system sounded.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #2,352 of 149,007
Jason, a suggested name for the Schiit "Music Server", since the ideal unit would tie the desktop together. "Hlidskialf", Odin's great throne from which he ruled Midgard, the earth and men!

Nice pagan tie in (would giving pagan names to hi-fi gear count as techno-paganism? :wink:! But may I humbly suggest a pronounceable name for commercial products? Something that can be googled after hearing it?

A couple of suggestions from ye ole wikipædiä...

A music server could be considered a local source, so…

Localized deities would receive offerings from religious leaders through the use of Sami sieidi altars, which were placed among the forests and mountain sides which would be designated and restricted for certain deities.[12] These altars were seen as the only means in which to confirm receptiveness of the offerings by the leaders.

Sami - an altar to confirm receptiveness! Cool!* But maybe that would be a better name for another DAC -- or an outboard world clock. Now there's a niche product!

Alternatively, a server could be considered magic for regeneration:

A mainstay of Agrarian Deities is the use of magic for regeneration, which opens the door for other uses of magic. The Eddaic poem Voluspa portrays Vanir magic as a powerfully potent force used against the Æsir.

Vanir - not bad for a something that stores bits and magically turns them into music… or opens the door for other kinds of magic. Actually, also a great name for an ADC that magically converts music to bits, again opening the door to other kinds of magic. (Note the cunning suggestion (again) of a Schiit ADC to convert my LPs to happy bits…)

(My erratic memory of the Norse gods is powered entirely by Marvel Comics and the Thor storylines - I seem to remember the Vanir as being a "people" of some kind that Thor had to fight or lead (or both, knowing Marvel)… See? Erratic.)

But I just can't get behind Hlidskialf as a product name for anything English speakers have to pronounce. I mean, can you pronounce (or even remember) the name of that ¿Finnish? volcano that blew up a few years ago and shut down travel over European airspace? I can't even remember enough letters in a row to google it. I do remember that watching North American newscasters trying to pronounce it made for a good drinking game… :wink:

Oh, btw, fwiw, Wikipædia spells it with a "j": Hliðskjálf

*In my old neighbourhood there was a corner store run by "new Canadians" - whoever painted their sign didn't have the best grasp of English spelling, so we had "Sami's Convenience Store."

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #2,353 of 149,007
Very nice read, Jason. Really enjoy it, i think posting it on Head-fi was the right decision since it reaches far more readers.

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #2,354 of 149,007
Nice pagan tie in (would giving pagan names to hi-fi gear count as techno-paganism? :wink:! But may I humbly suggest a pronounceable name for commercial products? Something that can be googled after hearing it?

A couple of suggestions from ye ole wikipædiä...

A music server could be considered a local source, so…

Sami - an altar to confirm receptiveness! Cool!* But maybe that would be a better name for another DAC -- or an outboard world clock. Now there's a niche product!

Alternatively, a server could be considered magic for regeneration:

Vanir - not bad for a something that stores bits and magically turns them into music… or opens the door for other kinds of magic. Actually, also a great name for an ADC that magically converts music to bits, again opening the door to other kinds of magic. (Note the cunning suggestion (again) of a Schiit ADC to convert my LPs to happy bits…)

(My erratic memory of the Norse gods is powered entirely by Marvel Comics and the Thor storylines - I seem to remember the Vanir as being a "people" of some kind that Thor had to fight or lead (or both, knowing Marvel)… See? Erratic.)

But I just can't get behind Hlidskialf as a product name for anything English speakers have to pronounce. I mean, can you pronounce (or even remember) the name of that ¿Finnish? volcano that blew up a few years ago and shut down travel over European airspace? I can't even remember enough letters in a row to google it. I do remember that watching North American newscasters trying to pronounce it made for a good drinking game… :wink:

Oh, btw, fwiw, Wikipædia spells it with a "j": Hliðskjálf

*In my old neighbourhood there was a corner store run by "new Canadians" - whoever painted their sign didn't have the best grasp of English spelling, so we had "Sami's Convenience Store."

Interesting, the source I used for Hildskialf was, " The Norsemen, Myths and Legends", Gruerber, H.A., Avenel Books, NY, NY, 1986. A little of my fun, light reading, but I am North Western German decent, so I don't find it hard to pronounce, ok maybe a bit, but ties into Schiit's places, objects, names Norse Mythology theme.

Oh, the site of the Volcano eruption was Iceland, ironically there is another rumbling there presently.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #2,355 of 149,007
  Stubbornly I took this player home with me and took it apart in an attempt to discover why it was so excruciatingly bad. Little did I know that this would begin the Yggdrasil back-saga, which will be continued soon.

Thanks, Mike.  I really appreciate your contribution into your company's narrative here.  Statements are best in context... 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back