Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 25, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #1,456 of 149,625

-What the man said. I work as an electrical engineer for a company designing and building subsea handling equipment - think ROVs, submarine cables, offshore oil drilling - that kind of thing. I get to do so much field work I had to get myself a seafarer's book.

Not what I had anticipated when I turned in my master's thesis. I majored in RF design and signal processing; until I got my first engineering position, I fully expected to spend my career designing radio modems, broadband power amplifiers and the like. My business card says 'General purpose geek' - which, most days, feels oddly appropriate.

As long as you take an interest in what you  do (or, perhaps, in your case, want to do) - you're more than halfway there.

Also, I'd suggest you try to find room for some extracurricular activities at least tangentially related to electronics or audio - the first thing we ask potential hires is 'what did you do, besides studying, in university?' - we'd much rather have someone who shows a dedication to his chosen profession and with some tinkering experience than somebody who has spent all his time studying and/or partying.

I'd take a guy who has tinkered with something on the side - be it electronics, mechanical engineering, whatever - and a mediocre grade score to go along with it - over one with a perfect score and no experience any day.

Obviously, this is not the only way people are hired; there's lots of companies who do not care for anything but your grade average. I do, however, based on personal and friends' experience, fully believe that the companies who do take our approach to what people we hire are more fun to work for than the ones blindly looking at your grades.

I could not have said this better myself. Being in the situation looking for work and having employers turn you down because of a lack of a piece of paper is frustrating. All I can say to you retrogradiance is to keep trying and eventually, you'll get through that door!

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,458 of 149,625
  I just switched into being an ECE major just last year, and all I can do so far is really just solder some things together, create some basic op amp circuits on a breadboard, and solve a few basic equations. I think I took a class on digital circuit design and played around with Verilog(which was actually fun) for a bit and then more recently took (and failed) an embedded systems class. Coding is probably my achilles heel and seeing bunches of lines of code that I vaguely understand just make me want to go deeper down the analog rabbit hole. I'm just not exactly sure what skills I should develop.

FWIW, every good engineer I've met always did projects and things outside of their classes --- building an amp, independent coding projects, etc. This has two great benefits: you get to apply your class knowledge in ways they don't teach you in class (and learn new things), and it shows future employers that you really want to do this stuff. If you build something cool, then you can talk about it or even show it off during your interviews. If you think you have a weak spot, an independent project on your own time is a great way to shore up those skills too. The great thing about school is that there are a lot of physical resources like computers, instruments, tools, and other facilities available to you for free, so take advantage of your time while you're there. Work on something you want to work on, and you'll know what skills you need to acquire --- learning that process (of figuring out what skills to acquire, and then how to do it in a systematic way) is an important part of your education.

You should really get on those programming skills, BTW, especially lower level things like C and assembly. They are absolutely essential for your major, as well as where the world is heading.

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,460 of 149,625
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 26, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #1,463 of 149,625
Indeed fantastic options, agree on Gravity, not on Avery (hopheads). others are new to me so thank you.
yet you forgot the best:  12 Degrees !

and lest we take this off topic, perhaps we conclude by saying:
 Jason has a lot of "work" to do at RMAF with respect to local beer sampling
and
 maybe there should be a RMAF sub-topic/thread of Colorado Beers somewhere on head-fi to plan/help all the visitors to our state?

:beerchug:

I'm down!

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,466 of 149,625
Ygg1 will contain unicorn tail and fairy dust. Yggs2 will contain the tears of broken audiophiles...

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #1,467 of 149,625
Ygg3 will contain the flaxxen hair of Brynhildr the Viking shieldmaiden to insulate the cabling of Frost Giant Silver conductors (cryo-treated, of course).

The best feature is the chassis made from the same substance as Thor's hammer. This negates any external resonances.

The sonic performance would even enchant Loki.

All this for the modest sum of Half of Niord's wealth.

Valkyrie connectors cost extra..

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,468 of 149,625
I tried to connect with a Valkyrie once, but it turns out she had a sword.

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #1,470 of 149,625
Jason, 

You know that you guys did a Hell of a job coming up with a new design for the Gungnir's chassis when its just now, after reading the last chapter that I see that the Gungnir's outer casework isn't in one piece. Believe me, like many others here, I have full blow Audiophile OCD and I still didn't notice it. Some of that can be chalked up to being excited to try a new DAC and primarily noticing the look of the front and top of the metal work but still its impressive. I've got to hand it to you for coming up with a finished product (that required changes being made to the chassis) that looks just as sweet as the Asgard 2 that sits atop it. Oh, and even more importantly the Gungnir sounds terrific too!

Great job guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back