Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #526 of 150,265

That's a dangerous idea...mainly due to hitting the 'BUY" button so fast I might dislocate my finger.
biggrin.gif

I say let's live dangerously. So how do you like the Project Carbon with the 2M Red? I have one on the way right now to replace my Debut iii with USB. I doubt there's much difference between the two tables, but with the carbon I can upgrade the power supply and cartridge if I ever feel the need. The USB cannot be upgraded because of the built-in phono preamp.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #527 of 150,265

I say let's live dangerously. So how do you like the Project Carbon with the 2M Red? I have one on the way right now to replace my Debut iii with USB. I doubt there's much difference between the two tables, but with the carbon I can upgrade the power supply and cartridge if I ever feel the need. The USB cannot be upgraded because of the built-in phono preamp.

I really like the Carbon. It's my first table since the late '70's and I'm very pleased with just how much quality you get for $400.

I'm using the phono-stage on my 26 watt Marantz right now and it sounds good. But, I bet running it through a Schiity phono-stage using...say, the Modi chassis would be even better.
smile.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #528 of 150,265
They won't. Already asked a few years ago. IIRC Jason cited safety risks.

I remember something like "too much of a niche", as headphone amplifiers are already a niche and stats are the niche of the niche. You develop a totally new amplifier for a very small market where consumers often are already willing to spend a lot of money on their audio gear, so why even go for an inexpensive amp that only works with less than 1% of headphones out there.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #529 of 150,265
Jason Stoddard said:
PM from February 2012:

Short answer: probably not. Stat amps have some seriously lethal voltages in them, and I don't know if I want to get into the product liability on that.

We have had a proposal from another manufacturer (who shall remain nameless) to do a co-branded stat amp--well, actually one under our name and one under theirs. We may eventually talk some more, but we really have our hands full with our own plans.

So--nothing for a while, if ever.

From a PM I sent a couple years ago. Hopefully it is OK to share.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #535 of 150,265
From a PM I sent a couple years ago. Hopefully it is OK to share.

That's too bad... if they were able to produce an exceptional amp at a low cost (like all their other products), I'd bet people would buy it give stats a shot (many people, like me, can't go to meets to try them, so buying a pair is the only option and the prices of 3rd party amps are intimidating). I'd imagine that an affordable system composed of an affordable STAX lambda and a Schiit electrostatic amp would be excellent and quite a bargain.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #536 of 150,265
Another +1 on the phono preamp. I agree with Eee Pee on mjolnir size.

Ok, ok...I will change my previous vote.  Mojo size, it is.

Jason? Any interest at all in doing a phono pre?
smile.gif

popcorn.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #537 of 150,265
So it would be a Mjonir sized case with the amount of electronics that would fit into a Magni case.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #538 of 150,265
  So it would be a Mjonir sized case with the amount of electronics that would fit into a Magni case.

Yep, you got it. The people have spoken...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back