Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #511 of 151,820

The decision to produce in the USA, or in China, is one that many manufacturers have had to make. If we made our stuff in China (or, like many, simply did "final assembly" in the US from Chinese metal and boards) we'd be able to offer fancier chassis, and/or more features. That's a judgement call.

Though I am thrilled to see many more products being made (or at least assembled) here, since, as far as I know, we were the the rebirth of inexpensive US manufacturing in 2010.

And thanks for building all your gear here.  It's great to buy quality home audio products that are built in the USA.  It's also one of the major reasons I'm a fan of Grado headphones and Ohm Acoustics speakers.

On the pro-audio side, my bass pre-amp is US designed and built (old Eden gear), and my basses are built in the US as well (Carvin). I'm proud to say that over half of the gear I own is designed and built here.

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #514 of 151,820
  Even being from Canada, purchasing items entirely made in the USA is very preferrable to me. 

Yet oddly enough, stuff shipped from China sometimes arrives faster than stuff from the US...

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #515 of 151,820

Yep. I have a good friend who is a propulsion engineer for a Dutch company (making ship propellers.) They recently moved the casting and finishing to China. Interesting times, he says.

In 30 years it will all be reversed, China will run out of workers because of their population control laws. But irregardless of that, thank you Jason for making what is my favorite family of amps here in the US!!! 

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #517 of 151,820
Wonder if any thoughts were given to the first Schiit electrostatic amp. All the (quality) ones out there cost a liver and a kidney.
I'd really like to see that myself.

My favorite part this week is Sennheiser using the Valhalla with the HD800. You'd get laughed off Head-Fi for suggesting that. I wonder what the pair sounds like. Has anyone tried the combo?

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #518 of 151,820
Wonder if any thoughts were given to the first Schiit electrostatic amp. All the (quality) ones out there cost a liver and a kidney.

They won't. Already asked a few years ago. IIRC Jason cited safety risks.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #519 of 151,820
  In 30 years it will all be reversed, China will run out of workers because of their population control laws. But irregardless of that, thank you Jason for making what is my favorite family of amps here in the US!!! 

They lifted that 1 child per family back in January.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #520 of 151,820
Need to make sure I'm subscribed to this.

I am pretty proud of the small company I work for now. Not a big company and a market that makes hi-fi look downright enormous, equipment is pricey but it's unique in the world. We do assembly in house, boards stuffed down the street, components sourced from US distributors of global components, local manufacturing from prototype to quantity production. 

The local made mentality is a large part of the reason I'm fond of Schiit (hope that never gets taken out of context). 

Jason, your company always impresses me, I enjoyed chatting with you a couple of years ago at the V-Moda Fortress and look forward to seeing you and Schiit this weekend. 

Cheers.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #522 of 151,820

They lifted that 1 child per family back in January.

Sort of, but not quite... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy#Relaxation_of_policy

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #523 of 151,820

The most horrible symptom of shipping manufacturing abroad is that we no longer have the large forges to make enormous equipment anymore. You have no choice except to buy from overseas and have the equipment shipped on barges. I am infinitely glad to see that this hasn't happened to the audio world.

Yep. I have a good friend who is a propulsion engineer for a Dutch company (making ship propellers.) They recently moved the casting and finishing to China. Interesting times, he says.

I watch too much History Channel, including all those shows about WWII - which we won by out-producing the Nazis. I'm not real hopeful about our chances in WWIII.

Maybe we can bomb them with Mjolnirs, or Ragnaroks (if they're out by then...)

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #524 of 151,820
Has Schiit considered producing a phono preamp?

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #525 of 151,820
  Has Schiit considered producing a phono preamp?

That's a dangerous idea...mainly due to hitting the 'BUY" button so fast I might dislocate my finger.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back