Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 15, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #466 of 150,264
It sounds as though you kept that metal and built them up as "B Stock", but I hope the metal house at least gave you a substantial discount - I'm guessing these chassis were used as there was no "return for full refund" forthcoming ...
They slapped some bondo on em then painted them black!
wink_face.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #469 of 150,264
Was it possible to get some form of restitution from the original metal suppliers ? The thought of them delivering a production run of vastly lower quality than the sample is appalling. I mean, why even bother with getting a sample made, if they are entitled to provide whatever quality they like at delivery ?

It sounds as though you kept that metal and built them up as "B Stock", but I hope the metal house at least gave you a substantial discount - I'm guessing these chassis were used as there was no "return for full refund" forthcoming ...

Edit: In fact, I'm guessing the idea of "return for full refund" is so alien to the inter-manufacturer dynamic, that you might still be laughing at the naively of this consumer. :flushed:

As with most real-world business, it's a judgement call.

Our current metal vendor had the same problem as the first (trying to refinish the second run), but their response was completely different: they recalled all the chassis, made new ones, and learned what we need for "consumer-grade finish." The first guys tried to define "consumer-grade finish" in their own terms, and demanded payment.

Rather than go through the legal wrangling (time, collections, etc), we paid for the crap chassis (and we still use them for prototypes, they *do* make fine heatsinks) and moved on. It's better to find someone who understands your needs and wants to work with you in a non-adversarial manner, than trying to recoup some losses.

Mike calls this "stepping on nickels and losing dollars."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #470 of 150,264

With respect to refinishing in black, we've thought about it (and discussed it with our vendor, which probably is why we ended up with a surprise shipment of black chassis one day.) We decided to sell those black chassis on a one-time basis. We're still debating whether or not to do it (on purpose) again...

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #471 of 150,264

Are you kidding? I LOVE THIS VIDEO! 

Why? Mainly because Linus goes into some of the whys and wherefores behind the company, and highlights our non-salesy approach. After getting many irate emails that boil down to "Why don't you tell me WHAT TO BUY and WHY IT WILL KILL EVERY OTHER PRODUCT ON THE PLANET!!!" I sometimes get tired of trying to stay on the rational and impartial side of things. It's nice to have someone notice that we're (a) not trying to sell the most expensive thing all the time, (b) we aren't over-promising audio nirvana. 

Fact is, Nick and I send 3-4 emails every day telling people not to buy our products. Most of them go to people who have, say, $100 headphones and are looking at a Valhalla/Bifrost stack, or something similar. We tell them to find a headphone they really like before they get into the amp arena, because spending $700-800 on electronics for $80-100 headphones is simply ridiculous. Some people don't want to hear this. Nor do they want to hear that we aren't going to compare our products to their Arglebargle 1000x amp, or promise them a transformative listening experience if they spend $1600. The reality is, everyone hears differently. We can't predict what you'll hear. And we don't do the hard sell.

So, I have to thank Linus for (a) taking the time to do this review--I've produced video reviews, they are not as easy as they look, and (b) taking the time to understand what we're about. The latter is sorely missing in many "spend more money and get better stuff, of course" reviews out there.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #472 of 150,264

With respect to refinishing in black, we've thought about it (and discussed it with our vendor, which probably is why we ended up with a surprise shipment of black chassis one day.) We decided to sell those black chassis on a one-time basis. We're still debating whether or not to do it (on purpose) again...

Please do it again But Please do it to the Mjolnir before i buy it in 2 months lol PLEASE... Oh and thank you I love the shiit that you make I am borrowing both the Valhalla and Mjolnir right now. And the sound that comes from them are just soo nice. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #473 of 150,264

jason, i almost sold the lyr i had at the time, just to buy a new black one, i hesitated, and you know what happens to he who hesitates ! lol
THE BLACK IS COOL

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #479 of 150,264
Both Apple and Schiit make good looking, stylish products that perform excellently. However, the Schiit products give value far beyond their price point, while Apple products charge an arm and a leg for what you get. The last point is hard to ignore and makes Schiit more anti-Apple than Apple-like, IMO.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #480 of 150,264
Both Apple and Schiit make good looking, stylish products that perform excellently. However, the Schiit products give value far beyond their price point, while Apple products charge an arm and a leg for what you get. The last point is hard to ignore and makes Schiit more anti-Apple than Apple-like, IMO.

+1 for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back