Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 5, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #167 of 149,742
"But she challenged me enough to keep pushing, keep expanding what I could do."  She did this by perpetually asking for a new car we couldn't afford at the time and insisting we buy organic ...  
wink_face.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #168 of 149,742
Lisa actually hates new cars. Her daily driver is a 1968 Mustang fastback that she bought in 1993 and restored herself. She does like organics, though...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 6, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #169 of 149,742
  Lisa actually hates new cars. Her daily driver is a 1968 Mustang fastback that she bought in 1993 and restored herself. She does like organics, though...

I have to say that I enjoy reading this thread.

Now, I have a question about marketing and Schiit. Have you guys tried to send free review samples to the more "mainstream"/"huge" online publications, such as The Verge? There are two reasons I'm asking:

1) It seems to me that a favorable review by those "rockstars" could be a "make it or break it" deal, especially for smaller companies, don't you think?
2) I'm curious to know if you have tried, and why it didn't work out (I haven't seen any Schiit reviews on the Verge, but I have seen V-Moda there).

Why I chose The Verge specifically is because, first of all, I'm an avid reader but second and possibly most important, they seem just "crazy" enough to actually review your product. I mean, you have everything in favor for you: name, pricing (especially Magni, Modi), "Made in USA" and beautiful design that would propbably sell more to the mainstream than a black box with a red glowy LCD screen.

I have a sneaky suspicion that it wouldn't just cost you a "free sample", so to speak. That maybe they'd like a "restaurant visit" as well, where you guys would "accidently" drop a stack of money under the table...

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #170 of 149,742
>Corollary 5: on the other hand, micro-social almost always works, unless you’re a dick.

This probably can't be over-emphasized enough. I've seen it work for the teeny (then tiny, and now not so tiny) company I started working for that I had never heard of before. Of course, everyone in their industry knew about them and basically had warm fuzzy feelings and that was/is enough.

Also, the "unless you're a dick" bit is really crucial especially when small because you-the-owner/you-the-one-and-only-engineer are what everyone sees/interacts with.

We've heard back from customers about how they really appreciate that we took the time to actually interact one-on-one with people on their own turf (be it conference sessions, physical on-site visits, or even travelling to another country) on their own terms.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #171 of 149,742
Ooh Jason, I have a question which I'm hoping isn't too personal - don't answer if it is.  I was wondering why you chose to use a pseudonym for your published works ?  The reason why I am wondering this is that, if I were ever published, I would be so proud and want EVERYONE to know I'd written a book - even the people I didn't know ... Heck, I'd be on the streets all day telling strangers ! 

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #179 of 149,742

It's amazing how ubiquitous terrible behavior, outright lies and illegal acts are in major corporations (Well, any entity) to do with retail, and yet nothing ever seems to be done about it. I walked out of my job because I was tired of corrupt, immoral and unempathetic acts and strategies. Sometimes outright illegal behavior and actions. Yet if you didn't tow the line you were completely vilified.
I applaud you for your ethics good sir, at least I know there are some others like me out there and the world isn't completely corrupt. Yet. 
beerchug.gif

Or even small ones. I used to sell computers at Apple resellers in a large city. Various competitors have ended up in court for fraud over the years since, and that is the stuff they found out about. I will not say what happened to one place I worked at, but I'm glad I moved away from computer-related work in the end.

>Corollary 5: on the other hand, micro-social almost always works, unless you’re a dick.

This probably can't be over-emphasized enough. I've seen it work for the teeny (then tiny, and now not so tiny) company I started working for that I had never heard of before. Of course, everyone in their industry knew about them and basically had warm fuzzy feelings and that was/is enough.

Also, the "unless you're a dick" bit is really crucial especially when small because you-the-owner/you-the-one-and-only-engineer are what everyone sees/interacts with.

We've heard back from customers about how they really appreciate that we took the time to actually interact one-on-one with people on their own turf (be it conference sessions, physical on-site visits, or even travelling to another country) on their own terms.

Someone pointed out how at the various audio-related forums, different, small and obscure brands are popular. I think Gear Slutz was given as an example -- they have a bunch of popular brands there I've never heard of. Many of the popular brands here are fairly unheard-of on other forums, though 6moons and other sites have seen to it that some became known elsewhere.

heat-activated urinal billboards

ROFL!

What your story reminds me of, especially when you wrote about advertising agencies, is this blog post.

About GenY -- I guess want a connection, not just a product. It certainly makes the hobby more fun.

The reference to Apple is a good one. What always struck me about Apple, especially starting with the product is, they kept it simple. "This is an iPod. It stores and plays music. Finish." then the slightly more complex version of that for the iPhone and iPad, then "Look at what people do with their iPads!". This instead of "Look at all the features in our product!" that wont be used. I think the latter companies think they are thinking of the customer, but they are, as you say, afraid. I could give examples using people and companies in the headphone and audio industry, but I know you've already done that.

I could rant more, but I'll save it for a hopeful future chat over a drink at a future meet. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back