Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 1, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #149,957 of 152,651
I bet that Bruichladdich is amazing!
That was made for the British market and one of 300 or so. Have you had 21 year old Balvenie Portwood cask? That is what I save for special occasions.

May 1, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #149,958 of 152,651
Just sat down to dinner: leftover homemade italian sausage and spinach risotto… with a nice bottle of poor Man’s Amarone, Masi Campo Fiorini (made in similar style to Amarone, except using the lees from real Amarone to flavor the fresh valpolicella).

And just now putting on Enya: Watermark. I wanna dig deeper into Yggy’s amazing bass capabilities… stay tuned

May 1, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #149,959 of 152,651
PS: wifey gets picked up tomorrow night at airport, so my time left for MY music is limited (at least at testin’ levels of loudness).

May 1, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #149,960 of 152,651
Her and others enunciation on Cursum Perficio is amazing. (Aside: my boys went to private schooling K-8, and took 3 years of Latin, so I appreciate it - sorta). The deep base on Watermark (title track) was impressive. But for that test, I’m awaiting The Longships, which, alas, will certainly be post 10K milestone…

May 1, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #149,961 of 152,651
It depends on what other gear you have (to some extent), and what your long term goals are for your setup.

If I were just considering Yggy vs a future Gumby, I'd be inclined to get the Yggy GS2 now, with Unison for sure. You could easily get a MIB board down the road, and you would have the Analog Devices board to compare the "flavors" and see which you prefer.

Though if you are using it with an Asgard, the Yggy is overkill, but you have a DAC to build a better system around over time.

But this is coming from someone who has an Yggy OG/A2/Unison, which I love! :laughing: :beerchug:
Thanks. Deciding on a path. Add a higher end DAC to my Mjolnir3 and HE1000 Stealths OR go back to my Asgard3 and Ananda Stealths and relax...

May 1, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #149,962 of 152,651
The OMG’s continue. 2 minutes in to track 3, On Your Shore, Enya’s voice is so damn ethereal and full of LIFE…. Now the woodwinds… bloom? Yes! Breathiness? Yes!

all, (so far) and and I mean all of the digital nasties I’ve been suffering through these last 30+ years are finally, if not vanquished, reduced to levels I no longer give a SCHIIT.

Thank you, Schiit. (Now to go back to madly acquiring CDs whilst they are still reasonably affordable and findable/gettable).

May 1, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #149,963 of 152,651
That was made for the British market and one of 300 or so. Have you had 21 year old Balvenie Portwood cask? That is what I save for special occasions.
Yes, it's delicious. 😋

May 1, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #149,964 of 152,651
Thanks. Deciding on a path. Add a higher end DAC to my Mjolnir3 and HE1000 Stealths OR go back to my Asgard3 and Ananda Stealths and relax...
Yeah, I’m only on day 2 of “I have a freaking Yggy”, but…

Just do it and don’t look back, it’ll never likely be the limit on anything you do downstream. Yeah, it’s that good.

May 1, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #149,966 of 152,651
You guys are.killing.me. I just get the Bendix, the Raytheon with the umbrella getter, the GE 5 Star, and the WE 396A and then it turns out I need an adapter and English 12AU7s. Followed up by Davidoff cigars - and I looove good cigars. Ah well, grab credit card and back to the internet.
Don't forget 6SN7, with adapter, of course.

May 1, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #149,967 of 152,651
I’m having trouble eating, this music is so, so, enchanting, so ethereal… words fail. Track 5: Exile… Starts out “Cold as…. “ and I literally shuddered at how freaking real this sounds.

And now, the flute, I swear I can hear the cracks on the blower’s lips. The “flavor” of the wood.

For all that is good, true, and holy… this is a revelation. Finally, the “perfect sound forever” is (for the most part) realized. I’ll know for certain once I have another “Batchelor weekend/week” and can race OG RCA LSC’s on LP versus CD, and same for Mercury Living Presences. I don’t have any other music of reference quality with identical masters on both CD and LP to compare.

But that is going to be a lot of work and very tedious.

This, now, I can say (only 2 days in). This is a world class component. It has taken my digital quality to one that rivals a very non-trivial top-end analog one. It has nothing for which to apologize. For the first time (for me) in my digital experience, the EMOTION of the music is there.

40 years from “sounds like ass” to “sounds real”…

Humbling, that’s what it all is.

Now on to watch the chase to 10K, and report on Longship’s Bass afterwards <grin>

May 1, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #149,968 of 152,651
Yeah, I’m only on day 2 of “I have a freaking Yggy”, but…

Just do it and don’t look back, it’ll never likely be the limit on anything you do downstream. Yeah, it’s that good.
It really is, Man, Im super glad you are enjoying it as much as I'd hoped.

Add to that for folks interested the GS2 is limited. They will only be around another month or two and then the only way you are getting an OG variant is used.
Which, they are great used products with their longevity and upgradability and all, but, seriously. Getting a Yggy for under two grand is a bargain (i know i know) in truth.

May 1, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #149,969 of 152,651
Orinoco Flow…. Just a tad shouty/sibilant; I’m going to go with the mastering; as it’s very transient towards the beginning. Someone wasn’t watching VU levels…

[on edit: shouty not shorty - stupid AI]
[on 2nd edit: entire song is/has that high treble shoutiness]

Must be the master

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #149,970 of 152,651
Here we go, Longships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back