Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 10, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #14,806 of 151,490
Have you listen to one yet? It does have more bass than SMSL M8 with same monitor and sub.

Are you saying Schiit's specs are wrong?

Alternatively, maybe the SMSL isn't flat.

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #14,807 of 151,490
Have you listen to one yet? It does have more bass than SMSL M8 with same monitor and sub.

In the launch post it was mentioned this thing has a ton of bass. That is what I'm hearing as well. I have one and have heard and committing on what I heard. If you haven't heard one and speaking only from specs, then you can have your opinion on what it sounds like based on those facts.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #14,808 of 151,490

In the launch post it was mentioned this thing has a ton of bass. That is what I'm hearing as well. I have one and have heard and committing on what I heard. If you haven't heard one and speaking only from specs, then you can have your opinion on what it sounds like based on those facts.

The specs are the same (or imperceptibly different)...so it HAS to sound the same!

Actually, it's the cables. :wink:

Ugh!...Lord know two humans wouldn't have different hearing physiology/perception/etc. I think I'll wander over to the Sound Science forum and cause a ruckus

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #14,810 of 151,490

​All this talk of "tube rolling" makes me wonder, do any of you tube rolling folk purchase a specific tube that is proven compatible with your device based upon looks alone?  I know I would, but then I know that I cannot hear a difference between wires encased in glass any more than I can when wires are clad in rubber.

I  just saw a tube that is called the Coke Bottle KT88-ST and thought it beautiful. If I were to change a tube it would be in the interest of aesthetics.  Why?  Because I can see and appreciate a difference in the appearance of my equipment.  I have no doubt that unless it was incompatible, I could not hear  one.

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #14,811 of 151,490
At $99 and seemingly very similar to the Standard Modi 2 on the DAC side, .I cannot see a Long Life for the standard Modi 2 with this Fulla 2 running out of the gate like a mad man. There maybe some differences in design but Considering you can use a phone charger to provide more power if needed,  It has a Built in amp and Preamp outputs as well as a line in. The Fulla 1 was sent home to mommy with a black eye. It seems the Fulla 2 is walking up to the Standard Modi 2 with a baseball bat ready to take it out at the knees. Once Again Mr. Stoddard I am impressed.  

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #14,813 of 151,490
At this point I think the head count for Freya has to be pretty high. I think for each of us on this forum that is voicing our anticipation there has to be a good number that are silently monitoring the site to pounce on it when it is available.

I got my issue of the absolute sound magazine a couple days ago and just today had a chance to crack it open. About 3/4 through it I saw something I don't remember seeing before. A full page advertisement for Schiit with a beautiful picture of Freya in the background. Loved the message too. In the same issue they had a $125k amp on the front cover with a multiple page review- crazy... But that is a great way to get the word out to the 2-channel community. I didn't see one in Stereophile magazine but I might have skipped over it.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #14,814 of 151,490
At this point I think the head count for Freya has to be pretty high. I think for each of us on this forum that is voicing our anticipation there has to be a good number that are silently monitoring the site to pounce on it when it is available.

I got my issue of the absolute sound magazine a couple days ago and just today had a chance to crack it open. About 3/4 through it I saw something I don't remember seeing before. A full page advertisement for Schiit with a beautiful picture of Freya in the background. Loved the message too. In the same issue they had a $125k amp on the front cover with a multiple page review- crazy... But that is a great way to get the word out to the 2-channel community. I didn't see one in Stereophile magazine but I might have skipped over it.

Did Someone Say Freya?
serveimage

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #14,815 of 151,490

On page 84 of the January 2017 issue of Stereophile there is a Schiit ad.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #14,817 of 151,490
  Interesting....so they're advertising it in mass before it's available.  That's new, I think.

You have to place those ads well in advance.  My guess is Schiit thought they would be available by the time the magazine came out.  I believe the Freya is taking a little longer to release than Schiit expected...

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #14,818 of 151,490
  At $99 and seemingly very similar to the Standard Modi 2 on the DAC side, .I cannot see a Long Life for the standard Modi 2 with this Fulla 2 running out of the gate like a mad man. There maybe some differences in design but Considering you can use a phone charger to provide more power if needed,  It has a Built in amp and Preamp outputs as well as a line in. The Fulla 1 was sent home to mommy with a black eye. It seems the Fulla 2 is walking up to the Standard Modi 2 with a baseball bat ready to take it out at the knees. Once Again Mr. Stoddard I am impressed.  

+1 Good observation.
t seems that Schiit is not afraid to undercut it's existing products to better serve its customers and be disruptive to the competition.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #14,819 of 151,490

+1 Good observation.
t seems that Schiit is not afraid to undercut it's existing products to better serve its customers and be disruptive to the competition.

Modi 2 Uber clearly offers benefits with its wider array of inputs.  But plain-jane Modi 2, yeah...I can see cannibalization.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #14,820 of 151,490
On Freya...it's imminent. First articles were qualified last week. We're just waiting for boards. Should be this week (we'll see.)

With respect to tubes, yes, you'll want matched tubes at least for the input pair. The input pair does voltage gain, so it's the most critical. The input pair is on the right-hand side of the quad. The output pair is on the left-hand side. It's a follower, so it's less critical. 

We're also doing some degeneration of the input, so matching will be less critical, but you're still going to want to have reasonable matching.

No biasing is necessary, since the input is run off a current source, which sets the operating point of the whole system.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back