Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #145,638 of 149,439
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 02.38.43.png

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #145,639 of 149,439
Sigh. Got it. Must say, not much difference in the Schiit stuff but the new Empys seem to be better than any of the others I own. Maybe just my awful hearing. I turned 75 on March 3 and wear hearing aids. Probably not the best guy to be looking for things in all this. But I do love the music. Qobuz and my own ripped stuff from the NAS sounding pretty good. I have a living room two channel speaker set up but the the Schiit is up in my office. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Then stick with Schiit stuff.

You aren't going to get a better price/performance ratio. I can't tell you honestly that my more expensive non-Schiit gear I've heard or own is worth the extra $$$. The Empys are pretty forgiving headphones. If you don't hear a difference or are not impressed, do not feel your experience is diminished somehow. There is a very strong component of audio jewelry or non-audio happiness that goes into the more expensive gear.

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #145,640 of 149,439
Sigh. Got it. Must say, not much difference in the Schiit stuff but the new Empys seem to be better than any of the others I own. Maybe just my awful hearing. I turned 75 on March 3 and wear hearing aids. Probably not the best guy to be looking for things in all this. But I do love the music. Qobuz and my own ripped stuff from the NAS sounding pretty good. I have a living room two channel speaker set up but the the Schiit is up in my office. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Do you hear your memories, the ones associated with the music? That is what matters most to me.
In all ways and for always, be well.

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #145,641 of 149,439
Do you hear your memories, the ones associated with the music? That is what matters most to me.
In all ways and for always, be well.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #145,642 of 149,439
Yea you've got about 5 years on me, and I also don't consider my hearing "critical" any longer, but it really doesn't matter as long as we are enjoying the music!

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #145,643 of 149,439
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #145,644 of 149,439
Some dark Neil right there ... they were recording it at the time of Kurt Cobain's death.
I do think the darkest, most raggedly Neil is the best Neil. He hated being the shiny new guy.
Tonight's The Night. :)

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #145,645 of 149,439
2. Many of you do tubes. I have both my first purchase, a Vali 2 running an Electro-Harmonix 6922 (which seems to sound clearer in detail than the Gold Lion E88CC that I also bought at the same time) and a Valhalla 2 purchased in about 2018 whose serial number starts with SCH-02-2. Stock tubes. These had the Bifrost 2 w/ Gen 5 USB as the source after my Hackintosh output.
You've partially answered your own question.

I bought both to run a set of Drop Senn 6XX 300 ohm that I had bought. Valhalla OTL supposed to make Senns sound better. I always felt that the Senns were “blurry” in detail. And not much bass. Next a set of DCA Aeon 2 closed back. Use in bed with that Lyr 3 so as to not disturb the beloved. Better, but still not cigar. The new Meze Empy IIs seems to hit the spot.

Your comparisons are using $200, $900, and $3k 'phones. Not that price dictates sonic performance, but the substantial difference you'll hear between those very different 'phones is going to eclipse the differences in the amps you're plugging them into. If the Meze get you in the groove, then just select the amp that makes them sound their best to you.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #145,648 of 149,439
If you ever want to see (and hear) a singer have fun singing...

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #145,650 of 149,439
Oh so beautiful!
Thanks I am caught up for a while on woodworking and might need to make room for some electronics work in the near future. I need new challenges.😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back