Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 17, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #143,701 of 151,189
Ok @bcowen should have received his flight board by now, hopefully it will not go on the stack of unpacked boxes already in his possession. Naturally since he is a cardboard connoisseur I used the best virgin cardboard for his shipment rather than a re-cycled amazon box. :ksc75smile:

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #143,702 of 151,189
Sadly, Texas is among this that prohibit mail-order liquor. So much for individual rights. 🙄

** Somebody's paying somebody, I suspect.
Or the state just doesn't feel like they're going to be adequately paid for it so they just say Nope.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #143,703 of 151,189
Sadly, Texas is among this that prohibit mail-order liquor. So much for individual rights. 🙄

And then there's that whole age verification cluster-fork that has certain adult entertainment websites discontinue their offerings in the great state of Texas. Should have invested in VPN stock when I had the chance, they're having a field day right now.

Ironically, and on multiple occasions, I have mail-ordered liquor in this-here mother of all nanny states without even the most basic of age verifications. Not at the time of order, nor at delivery. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. A toddler with access to a credit card could have done it.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #143,704 of 151,189
Hope this isn’t too far off topic. I’m looking at a different tube for my Vali 2++(see below). I currently own GE JAN5670, GE 5670 5-star red, RCA Command 5670, and Reflektor 6N3P, gold grid, double-mica. Any experience/opinions on the following?:

Reflektor 6N3P, gold-grid, nickel-plated pins, QUADRUPLE mica. The quadruple mica really caught my eye.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #143,705 of 151,189

Far as I know grocery stores in Texas can't sell anything except beer and wine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

We go to hill country for wildflower spring each year. This year 7 weeks almost which will take in the eclipse so we stock up and take it with us. It is very expensive in Texas when you're used to sales at Publix or Winn Dixie sales taking an additional 10% off on four, or Total Wine, etc.

Had to build a liquor cabinet in the RV! :)

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #143,706 of 151,189
Far as I know grocery stores in Texas can't sell anything except beer and wine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

We go to hill country for wildflower spring each year. This year 7 weeks almost which will take in the eclipse so we stock up and take it with us. It is very expensive in Texas when you're used to sales at Publix or Winn Dixie sales taking an additional 10% off on four, or Total Wine, etc.

Had to build a liquor cabinet in the RV! :)
Yes. Grocery Stores and convenience stores are beer and wine only.

Imagine my surprise when I went into a 7-11in St. Louis and there behind the counter was a wide assortment of liquors. 😯

BTW - there are Total Wines in TX.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #143,707 of 151,189
And then there's that whole age verification cluster-fork that has certain adult entertainment websites discontinue their offerings in the great state of Texas. Should have invested in VPN stock when I had the chance, they're having a field day right now.

Ironically, and on multiple occasions, I have mail-ordered liquor in this-here mother of all nanny states without even the most basic of age verifications. Not at the time of order, nor at delivery. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. A toddler with access to a credit card could have done it.
That can vary with the shipper I suppose, I have to sign for all wine and liquor shipments. Next week I have three such shipments coming in and either my wife or I will have to stick around those days. Not all states can ship to Indiana, one state had to ship to a liquor store and they had to deliver it to me.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #143,708 of 151,189
Bought a couple of new ChiFi 'Audiophile' level power cords. Using them with the Aegir 2 and Feya+ N. This allowed me to shift a few cords over to upgrade the ones on my Incubus HP amp and CD player / transport so now all have Pangea except for Aegir 2 and Freya.

For all you power cable naysayers...

You're truly missing out. After installing the power cords, music I've never heard before sounded like I've never heard it before. I'm hearing details and nuances never heard previously. It's as if I was hearing the music I'd never heard previously for the first time! And this is with no burn-in time! It's only gonna get better as the months go by!

Here's the link in case you wish to assuage your case of FOMO.

https://a.co/d/hPXXNcn

😉

The Pangeas were a tad more than I wanted to spend given that only the SE is available now. I thought I'd give the Amazon 30 day trial a go with these. They are built like a tank.

There is a price to be paid for living in Canada. The cost difference between my price and the USA price is obscene.

1710704999854.png

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #143,709 of 151,189
That can vary with the shipper I suppose, I have to sign for all wine and liquor shipments. Next week I have three such shipments coming in and either my wife or I will have to stick around those days. Not all states can ship to Indiana, one state had to ship to a liquor store and they had to deliver it to me.
A friend of mine ran a large-ish local wine and liquor retailer for the longest time. During the pandemic, they tried to go national to offset lost sales from closed restaurants. They quickly abandoned that idea when they found out that shipping booze across state lines is pretty much the tenth circle of hell, at least in terms of dealing with local laws and all the different tax bodies.

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #143,710 of 151,189
Sadly, Texas is among those that prohibit mail-order liquor. So much for individual rights. 🙄

Arizona banned it until about ten years ago (after a critical mass of transplanted California residents were here and demanded the right, me included.)

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #143,712 of 151,189
Arizona banned it until about ten years ago (after a critical mass of transplanted California residents were here and demanded the right, me included.)
Well, if that all it takes we should reach former Californian critical mass in about 6 weeks! 😄

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #143,713 of 151,189
BTW - there are Total Wines in TX.
Tell them to build one in Kerrville please. LOL

A bottle of Jack in Kerrville costs as much as a bottle of Macallan 12yr here on sale, grab a bottle while grocery shopping. We about fainted dead away first time we went in a Texas liquor store. Had to sacrifice new power cords for for at least a year just to buy alcohol, a first world problem!

A two month collection can get heavy so we have RV friendly weight containers shape efficient to transfer to.....
IMG_20240317_155536674.jpg

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #143,714 of 151,189
Well, if that all it takes we should reach former Californian critical mass in about 6 weeks! 😄
You've likely already surpassed it around Austin.

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #143,715 of 151,189
A friend of mine ran a large-ish local wine and liquor retailer for the longest time. During the pandemic, they tried to go national to offset lost sales from closed restaurants. They quickly abandoned that idea when they found out that shipping booze across state lines is pretty much the tenth circle of hell, at least in terms of dealing with local laws and all the different tax bodies.
I can believe that, once you get into state laws and collecting taxes for each state it can get pretty messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back