Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 17, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #143,716 of 151,171
For all you power cable naysayers...

You're truly missing out. After installing the power cords, music I've never heard before sounded like I've never heard it before. I'm hearing details and nuances never heard previously. It's as if I was hearing the music I'd never heard previously for the first time! And this is with no burn-in time! It's only gonna get better as the months go by!
power_cables_01.jpeg

(Sorry for the dust, it'll be well cleaned soon as my main listening space is undergoing a remodel in the next few weeks, and everything will be dismantled to safeguard the gear from the construction work.)

I am also an upgraded power cable advocate. I know, I know... "There are miles of cable in the power distribution system, and hundreds of feet of wire in your walls, so how much difference can a one meter power cable make?" AFAIK from my basic knowledge of electromagnetism, that last meter is the most important one, especially when there are single-ended connections in the system. No hum, no hiss, no errors when you use well-crafted cables. They don't need to be terminally expensive, either, just well made.

OMG, I am agreeing with Ripper... noooooooo! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Oh, and always cross power and signal cables at 90 degrees (I do, even when the signal cables are balanced - why tempt fate?).

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #143,717 of 151,171
Tell them to build one in Kerrville please. LOL

A bottle of Jack in Kerrville costs as much as a bottle of Macallan 12yr here on sale, grab a bottle while grocery shopping. We about fainted dead away first time we went in a Texas liquor store. Had to sacrifice new power cords for for at least a year just to buy alcohol, a first world problem!

A two month collection can get heavy so we have RV friendly weight containers shape efficient to transfer to.....IMG_20240317_155536674.jpg
My understanding is that Washington has the highest alcohol tax in the country. Oftentimes, you're looking at a a $15-$20 upcharge from the sales tax and the "sin" tax just for the privilege of buying a bottle, and even that bottle can be marked up a bunch because WA is not a control state.

I probably could not afford to be a whiskey enthusiast if I lived there. It's absurd. 🙄

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #143,719 of 151,171
Mar 17, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #143,721 of 151,171
Sadly, Texas is among those that prohibit mail-order liquor. So much for individual rights. 🙄

** Somebody's paying somebody, I suspect.
The Texas Package Store Association would be the somebody. They—and their larger members—pay quite a lot for their influence.

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #143,722 of 151,171
That can vary with the shipper I suppose, I have to sign for all wine and liquor shipments. Next week I have three such shipments coming in and either my wife or I will have to stick around those days. Not all states can ship to Indiana, one state had to ship to a liquor store and they had to deliver it to me.
I experienced that exact phenomena.

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #143,723 of 151,171
David Trone who friggin owns Total Wine is my congressman and there are no total wines in Maryland.
So call his office and complain.

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #143,724 of 151,171
Tell them to build one in Kerrville please. LOL

A bottle of Jack in Kerrville costs as much as a bottle of Macallan 12yr here on sale, grab a bottle while grocery shopping. We about fainted dead away first time we went in a Texas liquor store. Had to sacrifice new power cords for for at least a year just to buy alcohol, a first world problem!

A two month collection can get heavy so we have RV friendly weight containers shape efficient to transfer to.....IMG_20240317_155536674.jpg
I generally go with heavier containers that Finnegan cannot lift easily. Same with glasses.IMG_4091.jpeg

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #143,726 of 151,171
Bought a couple of new ChiFi 'Audiophile' level power cords. Using them with the Aegir 2 and Feya+ N. This allowed me to shift a few cords over to upgrade the ones on my Incubus HP amp and CD player / transport so now all have Pangea except for Aegir 2 and Freya.

For all you power cable naysayers...

You're truly missing out. After installing the power cords, music I've never heard before sounded like I've never heard it before. I'm hearing details and nuances never heard previously. It's as if I was hearing the music I'd never heard previously for the first time! And this is with no burn-in time! It's only gonna get better as the months go by!

Here's the link in case you wish to assuage your case of FOMO.

https://a.co/d/hPXXNcn

😉

The Pangeas were a tad more than I wanted to spend given that only the SE is available now. I thought I'd give the Amazon 30 day trial a go with these. They are built like a tank.

Do you really believe that? How does that compensate the hundreds of feet of Romex in your walls and miles outside? :)

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #143,727 of 151,171
Have you read the post CLOSELY? 😏

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #143,728 of 151,171
Instead of investing in expensive power cords, I like to carefully wrap my OEM power cords with $100 bills. I find it generates the same effect.

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #143,730 of 151,171
Instead of investing in expensive power cords, I like to carefully wrap my OEM power cords with $100 bills. I find it generates the same effect.

I'll step up and pay a modest amount for better aesthetics, more appropriate lengths for cleaner routing, and better shielding. My objective is better shielding to keep EMI away from low-level signal cables and retaining signal quality of my sources - not improve signal quality.

Not too shabby for around $37 ...

1000005070.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back