Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #141,766 of 151,659
I have a 'bonus' room in the new house that will be the dedicated audio room. But it's only 414 sqft. I was rejoicing, but now feel almost claustrophobic. :sweat:
i) a good case for headphones;
ii) why are rooms / houses measured in sq-ft? What about height ===> cubic-ft? Unless we are all
CD7DC713-7D03-4751-AE36-B349834DA020.jpeg
🤷🏻‍♂️🤔

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #141,767 of 151,659
The Mazda came stock with run flats. Hated those tires. If I want my teeth jarred by every pebble and surface crack on the road, I'll drive a forklift. I was fortunate to successfully wear them out in 12k miles. 🤣
I LOVE my forklift.

My spine HATES my forklift.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #141,769 of 151,659
And in the future, audiophiles will not need audio equipment. They can just purchase the sound of a $500,000 audio system for their Neuralink ($12.99 USD), f
Unfortunately it will be a subscription, not a purchase. And you'll have to agree to share your experience, sensations, and emotions as part of the plan.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #141,770 of 151,659
To follow up on the manuals opinions: yeah, we hear you. No decisions at the moment. Don't be surprised if we test a couple of different approaches.

However, I can say that anything involving video, longer form manuals, reformatting for different sizes (print or screen), options to select a manual at checkout, or anything else that increases the workload or complexity is automatically out. The goal here is to have more accurate, more maintainable manuals that are more closely coupled to the product, not to add a new department to the company.

For those who are curious, this is how I use manuals:

1. Get new product in box.
2. Open box.
3. Take out product.
4. Throw the rest away without looking at any of it--warranty cards, manuals, safety screeds, free sweepstakes, whatever. Usually stickers too, unless they are interesting. And yes, this includes the box, unless it's a $13-33k Audio Precision machine that I know will need to go back for recalibration from time to time.
5. Look up anything I need to look up online.

#5 used to be limited to surround processors and Jura superautomatic coffee machines (cleaning, argh), and only after initial setup. A new jobsite table saw I bought made me look something up before I used it, because it had a whole bunch of integrated widgets and safety stuff I'd never seen before.
Very similar to what I and Brian Eno. Eno has said early in his career that he avoided looking at manuals when he got a new synthesizer because he could discover new sounds and possibilities no else had thought of before.

Life hack: buy a backup remote if you buy anything with a remote that you will use. I bought a new window air condition with a remote. It is mounted up high so the remote is needed. Remotes often die before the device does, or get lost. Finding a fully compatible remote for an older product is a bitch; buy a backup when you buy a new product when they are available

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #141,771 of 151,659
Not long ago we were talking about Tom Waits cover albums and I was given suggestions that were quite good. HCTemptation.jpg
I also found Temptation by Holly Cole that I have been listening to today, and I really like it. This brings me
My first listen of Holly Cole Trio was during my first "real" hifi shopping spree. I am SO much more knowledgeable about the equipment and where to spend the money - or NOT spend.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #141,772 of 151,659
I *love* my Schiit!

Sitting here listening to the Sheffield Labs: The Moscow Sessions LP, specifically the Tchaikovsky 5th. Thanks to the fab and near real-time comms/support from SOTA, I’ve a temporary hack to restore vacuum hold-down whilst I await the proper part and the options for upgrade(s) I’m considering… I have LP back in the saddle.

IMG_0182.jpeg

And man, through the Skoll, balanced into the Kara, and thence to the DR9 and Duetta Signatures…

Bliss. Epic. This is easily as good a sound as I’ve had the last 30+ years through the DR6 (which is awaiting its position in the repair-queue, having had capacitor failure in the line stage portion - the phono still works). @Jason Stoddard you have built something special in Skoll; with this particular recording I’m getting almost LOST in the black ground and it’s ability to allow the lights of each instrument across the stage - front/back and left right - work so realistically in 3d.

Close my eyes, and I am THERE. Bravo to Skoll (and Kara). $1100 for an LP front end, par excellence!

So, argh. Now ima getting me the urge to upgrade to a better low-output MC. I *have* had that Denon a while now…

PS: highly recommend *any* Sheffield Labs LPs. All are excellent sonically. Most, musically (there’s a few ORFAS-only ‘for the sonics’ here/there). This one, is epic for a really large, 3d soundstage that works so well on any planar speaker.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #141,773 of 151,659
Life hack: buy a backup remote if you buy anything with a remote that will use. I bought a new window air condition with a remote. It is mounted up high so the remote is needed. Remotes often die before the device does, or get lost. Finding a fully compatible remote for an older product is a bitch; buy a backup when you buy a new product when they are available
True that! I used to buy FOUR harmony remotes with only THREE TVs in the house. Should have bought every single one off the bestbuy shelf when they closed out. So miss my Harmony's....

Seque to Roon: any new news since the buy out? Mergers take quite awhile for the ultimate outcome to become known...but just curious with the long term users in these parts....

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #141,774 of 151,659
IMG_7433.jpegIMG_7429.jpeg

Time to build something for myself that is prettier than what I built for @bcowen🤪 Those are HANYU KAORI - JAPANESE EDO WHISKEY GLASSES. ( I copied and pasted to be sure and get the spelling right.) I also bought a matching decanter. Woods are tiger maple, bloodwood, cherry and Indian rosewood. I also did thin strips of tiger maple. Blanton’s single barrel tonight while I listen to some smooth music. 😉

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #141,775 of 151,659
i) a good case for headphones;
ii) why are rooms / houses measured in sq-ft? What about height ===> cubic-ft? Unless we are all CD7DC713-7D03-4751-AE36-B349834DA020.jpeg 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔
What's these other dimension you speak of? You're not a Flatlander?

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #141,776 of 151,659
... If I want my teeth jarred by every pebble and surface crack on the road, I'll drive a forklift ...
Hoi! The forklift doesn't deserve a bad rap! How else to move these
E2A24890-00C9-4A80-8060-88D71C468703.jpeg
for precise sound image aimed 🫵 at the comfy listening seat? 🤣

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #141,777 of 151,659
Unfortunately it will be a subscription, not a purchase. And you'll have to agree to share your experience, sensations, and emotions as part of the plan.
Another case where the "like" button isn't a good fit. A disgust button? hate button? Horror button? This post needs all of the above...

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #141,778 of 151,659
IMG_7433.jpegIMG_7429.jpeg

Time to build something for myself that is prettier than what I built for @bcowen🤪 Those are HANYU KAORI - JAPANESE EDO WHISKEY GLASSES. ( I copied and pasted to be sure and get the spelling right.) I also bought a matching decanter. Woods are tiger maple, bloodwood, cherry and Indian rosewood. I also did thin strips of tiger maple. Blanton’s single barrel tonight while I listen to some smooth music. 😉
Beautiful work, and gorgeous glassware! :heart_eyes:

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #141,780 of 151,659
Seque to Roon: any new news since the buy out? Mergers take quite awhile for the ultimate outcome to become known...but just curious with the long term users in these parts....
Dunno if there's a thread here on head-fi following roon news? On other sites, the upshot so far is that
  • Harman order Roon to stop chasing new users and make their current users happier
    • most immediate result of that was they stopped requiring the RoonCore to be online 24/7
  • They've released a bunch of fixes to ARC, Remote and Core. Their blog details that.
So far, so good. As a music collector, not streamer, I'm encouraged by their change in direction....

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back