Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #141,751 of 151,761
Must be patient. Must be patient. Must be patient. :D
How downright unMurkan of you! Next you'll be eating tofu instead of good 'Murkan Texas BBQ.

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #141,752 of 151,761
The brimar 12at7's in the freya N continue to wow. Kind of remind me of what I liked about the sylvania 6sn7gta's, but more refined.

For whatever reason, I really like them with electronic music. Listening to my bandcamp friday purchase on them now.

Love me some elec'y. Looks like a great one to check out.

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #141,753 of 151,761
Oh, that old thing.

...looked much too grumpy ... something a bit more cuddly and fuzzy, ... effortlessly sunny disposition.
Ok.

You should photoshop in some rain/thunderstorm to really drive the sunny part home.

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #141,754 of 151,761
When I was contemplating buying a Tesla I printed out the entire manual and had it spiral bound. It is an excellent example of a full owner's manual.

The e-manual or whatever Volvo calls it is a pos. Here, see for yourself. https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/support/car/s60-recharge-plug-in-hybrid/23w17

The same manual is available on the infotainment screen in the car and is equally useless.

Sorry about the gripe. Its otherwise an excellent car.
I have a Volvo from 2017 and it is the same deal with that. They included a small reference guide and addendum, but the bulk of the manual is in the infotainment system and the app. POS, it is: There’s no way to browse or read it through, you have to search (entering each letter from a thumb-wheel no less :rolling_eyes:) and hope you use the right search term to find what you are looking for either as a direct result or one of the related subjects linked from the primary results. To top it off, the search is also slow as molasses. The app is better, but only in the sense that you can use the phone’s keyboard to search.

But yeah, an excellent car otherwise, I love the car, but not the manual.

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #141,755 of 151,761
And we are back to manuals. Does anyone in here have any cats?
Yes, currently two residing in the house.
Neither came with a manual 😅

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #141,756 of 151,761
When I was contemplating buying a Tesla I printed out the entire manual and had it spiral bound. It is an excellent example of a full owner's manual.
I predict that today's Tesla manual will be very short lived and replaced by having its entire contents stored in a Neuralink chip that is embedded in the owner's brain. If the owner sells the Tesla, the new owner will simply have the Tesla manual knowledge transferred to their Neuralink embedded chip via bumping heads with the prior owner. :worried:

And in the future, audiophiles will not need audio equipment. They can just purchase the sound of a $500,000 audio system for their Neuralink ($12.99 USD), upload it and Neura-listen to it without actually owning the gear. No room acoustics issue. No WAF issues. No having to 'turn it down'. No fuss - no muss.

Sorry, Jason. I guess Schiit will miss out since y'all don't do software. :p

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #141,757 of 151,761
These and an induction range are a match made in heaven. Almost instant heat and pretty fast rangetop cool down.

Boils water faster than my "contractor grade" microwave.
Yes! The one blessing in having to replace all the appliances when we moved into the hoarder-house…. Was that I could FINALLY get the induction cooktop of my 20+ year dreams. Alas, I could only get the 30” wide, 4 induction unit one, instead of a 36” wide one; but the cabinetry and the fact that an outside slider was already relatively close shut that part of the dream down.

But, man can induction come up to heat FAST with proper pans (cast iron, Le Creuset, Induction-ready All Clad, etc.). Can boil 8-12 oz of water for my wife’s morning tea in around 2 minutes on “speed boost” mode (We got a Bosch and love it).

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #141,758 of 151,761
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #141,759 of 151,761

Attachments

• IMG_9695.JPG
    IMG_9695.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #141,760 of 151,761
I thought that Aegir 2 review was pretty worthless. As for music tonight - playing loud as **** on my Zu Omens via my Aegir 1 and loving it.
I thought that his observation that the aegir 2 had a better grip on the bass than the OG was valuable for those that are concerned about the damping factor of 10.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #141,761 of 151,761
I thought that his observation that the aegir 2 had a better grip on the bass than the OG was valuable for those that are concerned about the damping factor of 10.
Halo™, baby!

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #141,762 of 151,761
I am caught up!

(again, but probably not for long... <sigh>)

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #141,763 of 151,761

Wasn't the review of a configuration with two Aegir 2s run in mono? I don't really have much of an opinion about the observations in the review, but I don't think it says much about the lower damping factor that only appears with a stereo/Halo configuration:

Good point. Damping factor will be "normal," as in, about 100 or so, when run mono. There's no great way to do Halo with balanced outputs, because you're effectively playing with positive feedback, which can get, ah, scary.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #141,764 of 151,761
Gripping bass
59f7564b5027f.image.jpg

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #141,765 of 151,761
Posting a poor experience with Schiit here out of frustration. I was trying to remember when I bought my first Schiit product; it was a v1 Valhalla I bought in 2009-ish. If I recall correctly, Jason was giving out $50 referral credits for them. I remember emailing back-and-forth with Jason asking for a DAC before the Bifrost existed. I'm sure I'm not the most lucrative Schiit customer that's ever existed, but I've bought ~10 Schiit amps/DACs over the past 15 years for various use-cases. I've been happy with all of them until the Asgard 3. I purchased it with the multibit DAC and it never really worked properly. It would work fine for weeks then randomly not be recognized by my computer. This was tested on multiple machines; I've also never had this problem with any other Schiit product. I sent it in for service, having explained this, and it was sent back with no repairs saying nothing was wrong with it. I had to go back-and-forth with support several times and it's now been sent to Schiit 3 or 4 times before they offered to either refund me for it or replace it. I opted for a replacement and the new Asgard 3 is different; the multibit card in the original had a USB-A port and the new one a USB-C. The new one hasn't had any disconnecting issues like the previous, but the relay clicks every ~10 seconds regardless of whether audio is playing or not. I personally find it extremely annoying, and customer support cannot seem to tell me whether that's expected behavior. I was again offered either a return or a replacement and this time I told them I wanted a return. Then all of a sudden they say a return is not an option. So now I'm stuck with a $400 amp that's too annoying to use and has never worked to my satisfaction.

I know Schiit is a much larger company than when I first started purchasing their products, but the customer service experience has been maddening. Multiple times a different person picks up the thread that clearly has not read the previous correspondence and I feel like I'm starting from scratch on the conversation.
Are you running Windoze? I have an older Bifrost Multibit connected to my Phonitor x at work. Over the past few months it has been disconnecting quite a few times in the middle of the night. I had 50/50 success connecting it to two other Win10 machines. I finally dug into the error I was seeing and essentially had to uninstall and re-install all USB drivers. Because it's so cryptic about which driver went where, I shotgunned it. I then went and manually updated the drivers by re-installing what was already on the computer. So far, that has worked every time to resume connectivity. The only thing I can figure out is that the OS is going out looking for what it thinks are "better" drivers and "helps" me by installing them for me. The clicking is caused by the DAC seeing a change in USB status. When I first turn on the computer, it clicks several times during the boot sequence when nothing is happening audio-wise. And of course, it will click when the sample rate / word width changes from what I had set as default in the OS (always running exclusive mode). Something's going on in your computer behind the scenes. Too bad there isn't a passthrough dongle that will tell you what the datastream is doing. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back