Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #139,891 of 151,365
Thanks to Tom for the rustic board and his wonderful wife for the Mescal copas. Let the fun begin!!

@Ripper2860 How is the Dos Hombres Mezcal? I've been sampling the "400 Conejos" Espadin/Tobala mezcal, and, it's, well, somewhat drinkable. It starts with a, 'agricultural' taste, finishes with a do I really want anymore of it.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #139,892 of 151,365
Wait, you make the green fairy? Uh, oh. Does your label feature Kylie Minogue?

We were one of the earliest absinthe producers in the U.S. not long after it was made legal again, which I think was 2005 or 2008?

If anyone is up for a bit of an exploration, absinthe has some of the most fascinating history of all the spirits, especially against the almighty wine industry - lots of rivalry in France that ultimately spread into and influenced the temperance movement in the U.S.

Edit: Our absinthe is available at Total Wine.

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #139,893 of 151,365
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #139,894 of 151,365
I show @sixergixer's board was delivered so all is well other than @bcowen. Now on to other things unless anyone else needs a flight board. I should be doing more for food and drink for local folks just to cover a few expenses.
It arrived! Will post a pic later tonight or in the morning. :)

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #139,895 of 151,365
@Ripper2860 How is the Dos Hombres Mezcal? I've been sampling the "400 Conejos" Espadin/Tobala mezcal, and, it's, well, somewhat drinkable. It starts with a, 'agricultural' taste, finishes with a do I really want anymore of it.
I read that as "400 Cojones" and giggled a little.

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #139,896 of 151,365
Yeah. A bit much for a leisurely drive in my case. Dallas to Bend is 2023 miles by road.
Three or four days of some of the driest but also prettiest parts of the U.S. The journey could be its own reward.

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #139,897 of 151,365
I cannot really say how Dos Hombres compares to the other Mezcals made with different varietals of Agave. I've stuck with Dos Hombres and I'm just really starting to explore other Mezcals as a sipper. I've typically used other Mezcals along with Tequila to make smokey margaritas. I do find Dos Hombres enjoyable and smooth. A very simple profile and not complex, but I'd be fibbing if I said I was an expert or possessed a developed Mezcal palate -- yet.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #139,898 of 151,365
It arrived! Will post a pic later tonight or in the morning. :)
Oh good, USPS never said yours or @Orange5o’s were out for delivery so I was not sure. I have made a lot of friends on here and there are several more of you I hope to build for one day. Later folks

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #139,899 of 151,365
I read that as "400 Cojones" and giggled a little.
That's the modern version of the song, you say conejos I say cojones.

Then you watch that Monty Python and you say, "¡Cojones, que conejo!"

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #139,900 of 151,365
There is a small restaurant four minutes from me with a food truck out front where they do the cooking. They owners work there seven days a week and are packed. The only better tacos I have had were in a fancy place in DC for four times the price.
The best tacos in any city will always come from a truck. If you happen to live in a place like Texas, the ten or twenty best tacos will come from a truck. I can think of two brick and mortar taco places in Austin that would make my personal Top 20. One used to be in a truck and the other is run by a former Michelin starred chef who is making very good tacos, with very good ingredients, in very creative ways, but I’ll take a truck 18 out of 20 times.

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #139,901 of 151,365
Feb 18, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #139,903 of 151,365
Not Ripper…

I have, at last count, 75 bottles of Mezcal in my cabinet. They range from brands like Dos Hombres to tiny clay still production runs that topped at out at under 100 bottles from producers in the mountains of Michoacán…

Dos Hombres is… fine. It’s a decent example of relatively high production Espadin and for what it’s worth, the celeb owners are involved and fairly not cringe when they do work for the brand.

400 Conejos is also… fine. That Espadin/Tobala is the only one I kept for my cabinet.

if you want to explore reasonably sane price point Mezcal, anything from Del Maguey, Mezcal Vago, Rey Campero, Alipus or Siembra Metl is a good place to start. Drink it out of a wide mouth copita, a votive or, as a last resort, a champagne flute or sherry glass. If it’s made right, it will be at least 45% ABV, and concentrating those alcohol vapors, without the softening of wood aging, in something like a glencarin class, will kill the enjoyment. I generally go with a couple ounce, shallow, clay copita. YMMV.

(Source: I do work for a very good artisanal Mezcal, not one of the ones listed above because of how my NDA works, and have spent the last 15 years studying the spirit, from ground to bottle, both informally and professionally, with growers, producers, brokers and regulatory agencies. It is my favorite thing I do for work).

There are many good products, but if it’s under $40-50 a bottle, there are either major corners being being cut (with people, process or both) or it is a loss leader for a multinational spirits brand. For Espadin, the most commonly cultivated agave used in Mezcal production, the plants take 7-12 years to ripen, and it takes about 1,300kg of agave to produce 3 liters of finished spirit.

For some of the wild agaves, that ripening time can go 30-40 years, and they’re much, much smaller than Espadin, with much lower potential sugar that can be converted into alcohol.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #139,904 of 151,365
That's the modern version of the song, you say conejos I say cojones.

Then you watch that Monty Python and you say, "¡Cojones, que conejo!"
😂

Feb 18, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #139,905 of 151,365
Three or four days of some of the driest but also prettiest parts of the U.S. The journey could be its own reward.
.... not with this !! ....
F77FC389-72E8-4B5C-A216-426A20F91DCB.jpeg
😟😭😖

Users who are viewing this thread

Back