Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 4, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #138,631 of 155,069
Big high five 🖐️ for the gin pairings!

The Sloe Gin is a tasting room exclusive. I wish we were selling it through our Total Wine outlets.
Slow Gin was one of my Grandma 's favorites. She used to pick them when she was younger and make it herself.

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #138,633 of 155,069
I am doing a reverse alphabet, you, sixer, Ripper, Rensek. By the time I get to the b’s or c’s I will only have warped pine and cardboard for the guy who can’t seem to find a home.🤪
I offered him a plot in Georgia, but he decided to depart! [ I think that I meant a plat--not a plot--as I assume that he is still alive!].

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #138,634 of 155,069
Well I do have some of that special Russian cardboard before the embargo hit.🤪 seriously for all your help in the past I will try to send you one as well. Have you stopped living in your car yet? I would need an actual address.
He is not certain as to what State he is living in-----or was that state of--forget it.

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #138,636 of 155,069
For all the folks posting pics of classical music, I’m surprised that there isn’t more contemporary classical stuff, like Ludovico Einaudi and Max Richter etc. not judging, just wondering if I’m on an island musically listening to contemporary artists more than the legends of the past.
Nope, plenty of contemporary classical in my listening range, too! There's some wonderful music being made these days.

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #138,637 of 155,069
I offered him a plot in Georgia, but he decided to depart!
That was very gracious of you and all, but I was looking for something a bit less, um, confining. Also: mowed. :smile:

1707091627477.png

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #138,638 of 155,069
What made you decide to upgrade? Thanks for your input as well
To be honest - it was initially the remote… 😂
So the better sound was a bonus!

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #138,639 of 155,069
I would just like to give a heartfelt thank you to Jason and Mike and the rest of the gang at Schiit. Two decades ago I had given up almost completely on audio as I felt that although I loved the sound LPs were waaaay too much trouble and I absolutely hated digital. HATED it. Could not listen to it. Five years or so ago discovered this streaming thing and I thought it might be nice to have some music at work and this rekindled my audio interest. I tried out some of the small headphone dacs from Audio Engine and iFi and thought, hey, this isn't so bad, it's not great but I can still enjoy music. And finally I added a PS Audio NuWave3 DAC to my main system and suddenly it actually sounded pretty good with CDs. Huh.

I noticed, though, in various Amazon audio equipment reviews that some people mentioned that various Schiit units might be a better choice than whatever it was. And why look, the Schitter was in easy driving distance... I went there to listen to a Lyr and was seduced by the combination of a Bifrost2 and a Valhalla 2, so much so that they followed me home. This wasn't just listenable or "good". It was GREAT. I could really enjoy music again! And as time went on (and not much of it) more and more Schiit arrived and helped make my computer happy as well as my office.

And now, because Schiit equipment is basically just audio crack and you always need more, I tried the Yggdrasil GS2 and MJ3 in a new headphone streaming music listening station with a nice Dan Clark Ether2 set of headphones. Every time I listen to it I must have the most utterly gobsmacked stupid expression on my face because the combination is just awesome. Even music I don't really like sounds utterly wonderful. And THIS is from basically the elderly original version of the Yggdrasil (although mine has unison)! I know many of you have been singing the praises of the Yggdrasil for a long time but until Schiit tempted me with the discount GS2 I had never made the plunge. But boy howdy, come on in, the water's fine!

So thank you again to the Schiit Audio folks that have given us stupidly good performance- up to the very highest levels- without the stupid prices. And, uh, I am thinking a Urd would work nicely in this listening station along with the streamer...

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #138,640 of 155,069
I would've suggested the JL e110. It used to be ~$1k. But no more.

I love my dual JL Fathom 112s. Absolute beasts but incredibly refined, tight bass. Shocked they are $5k a piece now. 😳
I have a pair of JL Audio e112's in my system and they make (clean, tight, articulate) BASS! :smiley_cat:

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #138,641 of 155,069
So I'm very pleased with the Freya N as the analog hub of my system.

My question is about the differential buffer. Right now the only true balanced heaphone amp I'm using is the Erzetich Medousa.The question is should I be using the passive mode in Freya with volume at max or the differential buffer mode? Both are 0db gain.

Right now the Yggy is running balanced to the Freya N to the Medousa. I'm using the Diana V2 balanced out of the Medousa.
With Yggy via XLR as source, both passive and differential modes of Freya +/N/S will have true balanced (both + and - phases active) output. With an SE (RCA connected) input and in passive gain mode, the Freya XLR output will only have the + phase active, and negative phase connected to ground via an impedance related to volume control position. Sound will still be produced but internal operating points of downstream gear may or may not be optimal (depends on topology of those devices) when fed with a lopsided XLR signal.
Passive or buffered modes work the same with balanced inputs, the only difference will be the output impedance between the two modes. You aren't in "SE mode" with a balanced input. You might be using SE outputs from Freya, but the signal is balanced internally to Freya in all modes.

Buffered mode (or tube mode) should be used to convert SE inputs to balanced output.
+1

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #138,642 of 155,069
I am considering making a serving board with small cutouts for whiskey sampling glasses, if I am happy with the results I will try to send you a sample, with cut outs for this style glass.IMG_7238.jpeg
I think that's a lovely idea! Glencairn-sized holes definitely make the most sense and they would allow for the smaller tasting glasses like the one in my gin photo.

Feb 4, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #138,643 of 155,069
Feb 4, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #138,644 of 155,069
I think that's a lovely idea! Glencairn-sized holes definitely make the most sense and they would allow for the smaller tasting glasses like the one in my gin photo.
More than likely I will have room for four glasses. This is my treat for several of you on this site. Yours is for introducing me to your bottled in bond bourbon. If you have a wood preference just say something and I will see what I have.

Feb 4, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #138,645 of 155,069
So thank you again to the Schiit Audio folks that have given us stupidly good performance- up to the very highest levels- without the stupid prices. And, uh, I am thinking a Urd would work nicely in this listening station along with the streamer...
Now add a nice Schiit amp and pair of good speakers and you will find an entirely new love of music. While I love and appreciate the clarity and accuracy of my headphones, nothing moves me like music played to my whole body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back