Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 4, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #138,616 of 155,069
All this talk of The Botanist... I may have to make a G&T, even though it is normally my summer drink. Here is a shot from last year...

botanist.jpg

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #138,619 of 155,069
I'm not surprised. What you've seen here simply reflects the general classical music audience, which is overwhelmingly oriented towards works from the past (also reflected in what is performed in concert halls and released on recordings). If you are listening more to contemporary classical, then you are in fact somewhat on an island. I do a fair amount of exploring contemporary composers and works unfamiliar to me, but I have to admit that it isn't the bulk of my classical listening.

Entr'acte by Caroline Shaw (this was a Grammy Award winning album)

"Must the Devil Have All the Good Tunes?" (piano concerto by John Adams, composed for Yuja Wang)
I saw this performed live at the San Francisco Symphony with pianist Vikingur Olafsson. It was a memorable concert.
gmen03ikarcqb_600.jpg

Huge generalization… of course there’s good contemporary classical music. Just heard yesterday live in a concert hall with a large orchestra a great piece:

Eino Tamberg Trumpet Concerto No. 1.

Also… it takes time for a classical piece to become, shall we say… classical. There’s a lot of me too stuff that will not pass the test of time.

Einaud is Ok but a bit of lifestyle music. There’s better.

In My Opinion, of course.

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #138,621 of 155,069
Feb 4, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #138,622 of 155,069
Oh heck no, I have not sent you anything in a while so I will gift you one. Just let me know if you prefer black walnut or such. There will be other hardwoods used as well, maybe tiger maple.😉
Whatever pleases you and annoys your detractors. Especially since I am #4, working towards #3.[Now that is a wide latitude].

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #138,623 of 155,069
I don’t intend to buy any more audio kit from now on
I told Mrs. Biv exactly the same thing a few days ago. She just rolled her eyes and laughed a little.
I think it was a laugh…

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #138,624 of 155,069
Whatever pleases you and annoys your detractors. Especially since I am #4, working towards #3.[Now that is a wide latitude].
I am doing a reverse alphabet, you, sixer, Ripper, Rensek. By the time I get to the b’s or c’s I will only have warped pine and cardboard for the guy who can’t seem to find a home.🤪

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #138,625 of 155,069
I am doing a reverse alphabet, you, sixer, Ripper, Rensek. By the time I get to the b’s or c’s I will only have warped pine and cardboard for the guy who can’t seem to find a home.🤪
As long as you still have cardboard I'm not seeing a problem here. 🤣

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #138,626 of 155,069
To
So true. Yet, like everything else, resonances are best dealt with using a thorough application of... cardboard. 🤣
To your point...

IMG_20240204_161532.jpg

Edit: Finest Amazonian-basin endangered™ cardboard.

Comment: Amazon Fire tablet truly makes awful photos, eh?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #138,627 of 155,069
I don't have another complete Ring cycle to suggest, but the 2022 remaster of the Solti cycle is its best sounding version to date. It is available on streaming (hi-res on Qobuz), SACD, and vinyl.
https://www.soltiring.com/
Thanks! 😊

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #138,628 of 155,069
As long as you still have cardboard I'm not seeing a problem here. 🤣
Well I do have some of that special Russian cardboard before the embargo hit.🤪 seriously for all your help in the past I will try to send you one as well. Have you stopped living in your car yet? I would need an actual address.

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #138,629 of 155,069
Well I do have some of that special Russian cardboard before the embargo hit.🤪 seriously for all your help in the past I will try to send you one as well. Have you stopped living in your car yet? I would need an actual address.
I can stay in the same parking lot for several days if needed. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back