Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 31, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #138,106 of 152,232
Very cool. The best Belgium beer (ale) is brewed by the monks, IMO.
"MONKS" downtown Philly. If you ever are in the city and love Belgium beers you should check it.

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #138,107 of 152,232
I turn off my tube amps (duh) and the EITR. The EITR has died twice; both times right at two years. So now I turn it off. Maybe I can get three years out of it.
Everything else is on 24 hr.

All DACs, Eitr, Syn and Freya-N are on 24/7. Everything else is turned off after each use. My Eitr has been running for a couple of years without a (intentional) power cycle, but likewise I wouldn't do that if mine had a history like yours.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #138,109 of 152,232
  • More money: $899, $200 more than outgoing Aegir.
Is it a better amp? To me, absolutely. But I don’t know what you’ll hear. I think it breaks down to: if you want to save some money, Aegir is a heckuva deal right now.

I purchased 2 Aegir ~8 days ago and really love the sound on some circa 2010 Monitor Audio Silver RXs. Much clearer and less harsh than my previous Peachtree GAN400.

I think for $1400 the quality of sound is a great deal. I was extremely worried that the low power would be an issue, but I've been shocked that 40W can get as loud as it does.

Thanks for sharing what the Aegir 2 capabilities relative to the existing Aegir, while tempting to return these and wait, but given my mono setup hopefully I don't need to chase the latest and greatest and I’ve already 'invested' the savings into a Midgard for my desktop headphones.

In response to the mini-thread about leaving gear on versus off; I have my Aegir's on the switched outlets of a Furman Elite 15 PF so when I turn on my preamp it switches the Aegir's on. I turn it off every evening. The Aegir's do put out some heat. This solution also gets around the challenge of needing to reach around the rear on/off switch to turn the Aegir unit fully off.

Uploaded an image of my Aegir setup to Imgur

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #138,110 of 152,232
Pic for @NoxPlague:

Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 3.44.20 PM.png

I see one Aegir (on the right), where's the left one?

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #138,113 of 152,232
Underneath the right one. I am concerned that having both in the console will heat it up a bit much. During the summer I may even need to put both under the console...
OK, I saw the one on the floor, missed the one inside the cabinet. You might consider moving those close to the speakers and using short speaker cables.

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #138,114 of 152,232
OK, I saw the one on the floor, missed the one inside the cabinet. You might consider moving those close to the speakers and using short speaker cables.
Oh? What benefit would that provide? I've used the same 8' long X2 cables since I got the speakers. How short would I need to go to get a benefit? I like being able to move the speakers out from the wall for listening and moving the speakers closer to the wall to keep my wife happy.

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #138,116 of 152,232
Oh? What benefit would that provide? I've used the same 8' long X2 cables since I got the speakers. How short would I need to go to get a benefit? I like being able to move the speakers out from the wall for listening and moving the speakers closer to the wall to keep my wife happy.

Those are fine, they are short enough. Assuming your XLR cables are long enough, I would move the left speaker Aegir to the floor on the left as you have the one on the right (I like symmetry). :)

Edit - correction Aegir NOT speaker

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #138,119 of 152,232
Those are fine, they are short enough. Assuming your XLR cables are long enough, I would move the left speaker to the floor on the left as you have the one on the right (I like symmetry). :)
I think he's (or she's) managing the distance to the side walls here. It's likely they're symmetric when pushed back. I would do this as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back