Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 9, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #135,556 of 151,941
Apropos "Dry January" ... what's that about? It doesn't even rhyme. Here in Oz, at least, it's "Dry July" so has a sense of, what is it, purpose? (due solely to the rhyming slogan)

I say scratch January and wait another 5.95 months before you consider this path.
I thought it was common knowledge that if one were to do a dry month it should be February (one out of three anyway). Did I miss a memo?

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #135,557 of 151,941
really really close to when I hit post reply, yes. In my local timezone (CET) so a few hours more for America. I ended up less than 10 seconds off IIRC, don't remember which way. Could probably work it out from logs but that seems... excessive.

I get time in seconds from now to the beginning of february, or any other time, by typing the following into a terminal (most often Termux on my phone):
Bash:
calc $(date -d "20240201" +%s) - $(date +%s)
This requires the program calc because I have not yet replaced bash with something I would actually remember how to do math in.

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #135,558 of 151,941
IMG_9174.jpeg

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #135,559 of 151,941
When there's rain Texas Hill Country has the best spring anywhere! The roadside is like an inverse of fall colors, you look down not up!IMG_20230408_134111406~2.jpg
Don't forget there's a total solar eclipse this spring. Kerrville and Fredericksburg will be good. For most people it's not even a once in a lifetime if they don't travel.

There's about 100 wineries between Fredericksburg and Johnson City to check out.

And, MOST importantly, Kerrville is the birthplace of the greatest grocery store ever: H-E-B. Dare I mention their BBQ? :)
The 2017 Total Eclipse in Oregon was THE coolest thing I have ever witnessed in almost 50 years of using eyeballs to see things. For really realz.

The sheer fact that the apparent diameter of the moon can at times be precisely the same as the apparent diameter of the sun and then can transit directly in front of said sol, well, it boggles, befuddles, and confusticates my poor brain.

It helped that I was sipping a dram of very hard to find Elmer T Lee Bourbon during totality. 😎

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #135,561 of 151,941
One of the first things we were told on a recent visit to Napoli, and a course at the "Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana" was that tropical fruit doesn't belong on a pizza.
I actually enjoy a Hawaiian/Tropical or whatever its called in other parts of the world, but not everyone agress.

That one you linked to sounds really interesting. Good excuse to revisit Napoli :)

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #135,563 of 151,941
One of the first things we were told on a recent visit to Napoli, and a course at the "Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana" was that tropical fruit doesn't belong on a pizza.
I actually enjoy a Hawaiian/Tropical or whatever its called in other parts of the world, but not everyone agress.

That one you linked to sounds really interesting. Good excuse to revisit Napoli :)
I used it as a debate practice near the end of class today... Half thought it was a terrible idea / half said they enjoy it. I like it but it is popular in Vancouver.

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #135,564 of 151,941
Oh, and I forgot to mention the Musical Instruments Museum is nearby so, scotch-mod then every form of music one can imagine all within a few minutes of each other.
I just have to give a plug for EMAPP - Electronic Music Education and Preservation Project. Unbelievable resource squirreled away in a nondescript building north of Philly.
See

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #135,565 of 151,941
OK, new topic here. Is an Aegir (1 or 2) overkill in a desktop system? Driving a pair of ADS 300s I’ve owned for 35+ years. Within its power limitations, which honestly I will never reach. Would a Gjallarhorn sound just as good? I’ve been using tube amps in that spot, but I worry about lugging them upstairs to my office. Like what if I trip over my own feet, which is not entirely impossible.
I had a Vidar in a desktop system for a while. Was great. Then I got another one, and moved the pair to power my Tannoys in the living room. Now they are excellent :) I have a small Class D (like 30W into 8ohms) for the desktop, which is more than adequate for the use case, but just doesn't have the same authority.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #135,566 of 151,941
OK, new topic here. Is an Aegir (1 or 2) overkill in a desktop system? Driving a pair of ADS 300s I’ve owned for 35+ years. Within its power limitations, which honestly I will never reach. Would a Gjallarhorn sound just as good? I’ve been using tube amps in that spot, but I worry about lugging them upstairs to my office. Like what if I trip over my own feet, which is not entirely impossible.
One Gjallerhorn works pretty well. I’m looking forward to trying 2 in the near future.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #135,567 of 151,941
I thought it was common knowledge that if one were to do a dry month it should be February (one out of three anyway). Did I miss a memo?
.... ok .... pick the shortest month ....

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #135,570 of 151,941
When there's rain Texas Hill Country has the best spring anywhere! The roadside is like an inverse of fall colors, you look down not up!IMG_20230408_134111406~2.jpg
Don't forget there's a total solar eclipse this spring. Kerrville and Fredericksburg will be good. For most people it's not even a once in a lifetime if they don't travel.

There's about 100 wineries between Fredericksburg and Johnson City to check out.

And, MOST importantly, Kerrville is the birthplace of the greatest grocery store ever: H-E-B. Dare I mention their BBQ? :)
When the wildflowers look like that, there’s a certain number of easilly accessible pastures alongside major roads that are rumored to be LOADED with funny mushrooms a few days after a good rain as well…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back