Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 11, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #132,691 of 152,612
For me the benefits of using a service like Qobuz is that I find new music all the time. If I read a review of something somewhere I can immediately hear it for my self. For example I was listening to a Jazz/Blues internet radio streaming service from Paris France. I said to myself, I like that tune. Given the Qobuz integration with Roon, I clicked my mouse, the Qobuz album the tune was on came up, and now I'm listening to the whole album. Easy! I have many favorite albumsfrom Qobuz which are stored in "My Library" from Roon. If Qobuz goes away, I will replace them with another streaming service and I don't lose any of my Favs from Qobuz. (Yes, will need to find them on the new service). The ease of use, the number of albums I have via Qobuz, make a monthly subscription tremendously valuable. I would have to buy 20-30 CD's month to equal my Qobuz listening experience. Not cost justified in my opinion (for me.....) YMMV! :beerchug:
This is actually a fairly big risk with Roon IMO. If Qobuz goes away then you're stuck with Tidal which may or may not have the same albums available. I've not heard any rumors at all that Roon will incorporate an additional streaming service at any point in the future. It would be great if there were more options with Roon.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #132,692 of 152,612
Does your Bifrost, Gungnir or Yggdrasil click between tracks of unequal sample rate?
My MM2 doesn't click. Using Audirvana. I don't stream, just play files from ripped CDs and downloads. Some older files are even from iTunes and sound pretty good most of the time. It's to the point that I doubt most people could tell an AAC file (Apple) from 24/192..... the difference lies in the quality of the music, recording, and mastering.
My 2 cents.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #132,693 of 152,612
What are you using for Roon Core? If you're looking to use a Mac Mini as a core and endpoint it will connect directly to your USB DAC of choice.
If you're only needing a Roon endpoint, Crutchfield has the Bluesound Node at a $150 discount. Expensive compared to some endpoints, cheaper than others.
A cheaper endpoint option would be some of the Wiim devices which have received quite a bit of press lately.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_813NODEBK/Bluesound-NODE-Black.html
Roon Core is on a NUC.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #132,694 of 152,612
It isn't listed on my profile anymore, but I still use a Node in both systems as my wife insists of keeping Spotify. In my upstairs system the NUC is connected directly to Yggy via USB.

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #132,695 of 152,612
It isn't listed on my profile anymore, but I still use a Node in both systems as my wife insists of keeping Spotify. In my upstairs system the NUC is connected directly to Yggy via USB.
Are you playing using the Roon interface or something like HD Player?

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #132,696 of 152,612
My MM2 doesn't click. Using Audirvana. I don't stream, just play files from ripped CDs and downloads. Some older files are even from iTunes and sound pretty good most of the time. It's to the point that I doubt most people could tell an AAC file (Apple) from 24/192..... the difference lies in the quality of the music, recording, and mastering.
My 2 cents.
And to add, Audirvana makes a noteable difference in quality sound. Takes many negative computer processes out of the signal psth. So does a USB PCI card (noise filtering and reclocking.)
I too use Qobuz to find new music and they usually sell one track at a time for download.

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #132,697 of 152,612
Are you playing using the Roon interface or something like HD Player?
Just the Roon interface. (did you mean HQ Player?)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #132,698 of 152,612
This is actually a fairly big risk with Roon IMO. If Qobuz goes away then you're stuck with Tidal which may or may not have the same albums available. I've not heard any rumors at all that Roon will incorporate an additional streaming service at any point in the future. It would be great if there were more options with Roon.
I just had another "content unavailable" on Tidal (for some saved albums) and it's not the first time. I am wondering now whether Amazon is getting exclusive access to some music, because it's always still available there...

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #132,699 of 152,612
Option 1: Apple's own screen sharing feature
Option 2: Microsoft's Remote Desktop thing
Option 3: wireless mouse and keyboard that can disappear in a drawer when not needed, and an HDMI cable to your TV, if one is nearby

I'm using a mix of options 1 and 3.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I wasn't familiar with Apple's screen sharing feature but I have a bunch of iPads around here and that might be the way to go.

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #132,700 of 152,612
I just had another "content unavailable" on Tidal (for some saved albums) and it's not the first time. I am wondering now whether Amazon is getting exclusive access to some music, because it's always still available there...
I've had that happen on Qobuz as well.

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #132,701 of 152,612
Option 1: Apple's own screen sharing feature
Option 2: Microsoft's Remote Desktop thing
Option 3: wireless mouse and keyboard that can disappear in a drawer when not needed, and an HDMI cable to your TV, if one is nearby

I'm using a mix of options 1 and 3.
Option 3: F1 TV & Family Zoom sessions :motorcycle:

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #132,702 of 152,612
BTW... My Yggdrasil+ GS2 arrived and I got it hooked up to the MJ3 outputting to a nice pair of Ether2s. Being driven via Unison by an HP laptop for now. I have to say... the combination sounds bloody amazing. And just like everyone says, it was improving as I listened. I just lost a couple of hours in the middle of my workday. I don't regret a single penny.

I did see something funny with the Yggy though. The first time I powered it up, it apparently did not really start and when fed a signal (Unison) the sample LEDs all stayed dark- although the connected laptop identified it just fine as a Yggdrasil+. After I finally figured out where the issue was I power-cycled it and it came up normally and started putting out lovely music. Anyone see something like that?

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #132,703 of 152,612

Search for the album again. I have this issue with Qobuz. The album is still there but the saved version is not.

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #132,704 of 152,612
BTW... My Yggdrasil+ GS2 arrived and I got it hooked up to the MJ3 outputting to a nice pair of Ether2s. Being driven via Unison by an HP laptop for now. I have to say... the combination sounds bloody amazing. And just like everyone says, it was improving as I listened. I just lost a couple of hours in the middle of my workday. I don't regret a single penny.

I did see something funny with the Yggy though. The first time I powered it up, it apparently did not really start and when fed a signal (Unison) the sample LEDs all stayed dark- although the connected laptop identified it just fine as a Yggdrasil+. After I finally figured out where the issue was I power-cycled it and it came up normally and started putting out lovely music. Anyone see something like that?

Oh man, this is really having me considering a GS2 instead of going all out with the OG. Anyone have any idea how limited the GS2s are and when they are expected to disappear?

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #132,705 of 152,612

I wish mine would ship; I could use a little pick-me-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back