Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 9, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #132,451 of 155,174
It's a common thing: the Internet is littered with entities that started off with lofty ideals ("Do No Evil") and a gee-whiz naïveté to be world-changers or have a group-hug community, but once money or investors or economic realities, or "I want out of this and I need an exit strategy that lets me retire in comfort" (this is a valid concept) kicks in, "enshittification"* ensues.

*enshittification (neologism, Internet, vulgar) The phenomenon of online platforms gradually degrading the quality of their services, often by promoting advertisements and sponsored content, in order to increase profits.
In the old days we used to send a check i the mail to buy things and wait to get them via the US Mail.
No credit cards.
Just a trust that you would get what you paid for.
A simple life.

Now its Paypal, Venmo etc all taking a cut....well its capitalism for sure...

Recently I gave away two Magnis to some folks and the deal was send me $15 for shipping and I would send the amps to them...
Well I dont do paypal anymore, just me...
So here I am trying to convince someone that doesnt know me from Adam to send me $15 for shipping and to trust me....
Well I did find two souls that did trust me and they got the amps yesterday even before I received any shipping cost from them.

Sure wish we could go back to those old hand shake days...

:>)
Alex

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #132,452 of 155,174
The OG Piety, which I have runs out of steam well before a Magni etc...This has been stated a few times in the thread.
Magni + has 2.4 watts RMS at 32 ohms and is $79 on closeout right now.
Magni Unity has 2.5 watts RMS at 32 ohms and is $119.
OG Piety has has 1 watt RMS at 32 ohms and is $179.
Piety Maximus has 4.2 watts RMS at 32 ohms and is $499.
Midgard has ........... 4.8 watts RMS at 32 ohms and is $219

I don't tend to correlate power with price, and Piety has enough drive for any of the cans I own. THD+N and SNR are impressive.

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #132,453 of 155,174
I have to believe honest ethical people still exist in this world.

There is nothing unethical about what I wrote. Never did I say "screw people over". It's a business - if it screws its customers, it won't be in business for long. My point was, we all want ourselves and our children to be financially secure. Naturally, there are smarter and dumber ways to go about.

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #132,456 of 155,174
In the old days we used to send a check i the mail to buy things and wait to get them via the US Mail.
No credit cards.
A simple life.

Now its Paypal, Venmo etc all taking a cut....well its capitalism for sur

Recently I gave away two Magnis to some folks and the deal was send me $15 for shipping and I would send the amps to them...
So here I am trying to convince someone that doesnt know me from Adam to send me $15 for shipping and to trust me....
Well I did find two souls that did trust me and they got the amps yesterday even before I received any shipping cost from them.

Alex

Agreed.

In today's version of the Matrix it would seem that a hand shake is the moral equivalent of being jerqued off. They trust no one, including their own eyes.

Dec 9, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #132,457 of 155,174
Looking at this calculator this am:

https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

Why: Its the D8000 Pro week and was wondering once again how much power is really needed to make these things sing.
Do my Schiit amps have the balls to make them sing.
I know they do but here is the math for the D8000 Pros

60 Ohm Impedance
98dB/mW

WIth the above calculator and the Schiit Nitsch Piety OG, the low powered one
At 50 ohms its specs at .8 watts RMS or 800 mw.

SO how loud would the D8000 pros play with this "low" power amp?

According to the calculator to reach 127 db you need 794.33 mw of power 6.90 volts, 115.1 ma current.

I dont know what the rails are in the OC Piety or the current rating...just the "power" spec.

But based upon my hearing how well the D8000 Pros are being driven with the "low" power amp I would say
its more than enough for these cans...

Now I do not listen at 127 db!! OMG!

I would not recommend doing this!

But at 75 to 85 db here are the results
1702134909232.png

1702134927792.png

1702134948614.png

1702134980053.png

Try this with your Schiit setup and cans!

YMMV.

Alex

Note: Should we be asking what the voltage and current specs are rather than just the RMS power ratings at specific impedances?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #132,458 of 155,174
No credit cards.
A simple life.

Now its Paypal, Venmo etc all taking a cut....well its capitalism for sure...

Alex
Like this?

Attachments

• 1452132267685.jpg
    1452132267685.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
Dec 9, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #132,459 of 155,174
https://nitschsound.com/products/pietus-maximus

Hmmmmm :)

Edit: link taken down
Edit 2: Back up!
Okay, so I've thought about this more, and I considered getting one, but at the end of the day... The 500 dollar bespoke schiit x nitsch amp only has a 2 year warranty for a product size that schiit gives a 5 year warranty to (Asgard 3)--I am sure the Pietus Maximus sounds great, but I think I'll just wait for Jason to release an update to the Asgard if I'm going to upgrade my Asgard 3. That said, I look forward to the feedback from buyers on how it sounds, how people like it, etc. And I don't have anything negative to say about Nitsch, it seems that they do dope stuff, and I know the Piety is well thought of. Enjoy your Pietus Maximus if you bought one :)

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #132,463 of 155,174
It's a common thing: the Internet is littered with entities that started off with lofty ideals ("Do No Evil") and a gee-whiz naïveté to be world-changers or have a group-hug community, but once money or investors or economic realities, ...
From what I've seen, once the founders leave or bring in Harvard-(et al) trained money people, those lofty ideals are for sale just like any other aspect of the entity.

Those documentaries on Elizabeth Holmes and other documented cases of corruption are really eye-opening to these aspects of corporate governance.

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #132,464 of 155,174
Okay, time for another question for @Jason Stoddard :

In your various comments regarding the Midgard unveiling (I cannot remember whether this was in the chapter or in the video on youtube when you unveiled it and the new phono pre), you mentioned that Midgard could really cut into the Asgard 3's sales since its so high power, measures well, and costs 219 (less than 279 for Asgard 3). Personally, I never considered Midgard simply because I don't like big wall-warts, I prefer when the power supply is in the device, so if there are people like me with that viewpoint, maybe the price difference will wash out...

So to my question: Has Midgard cut into Asgard 3 considerably, or has that not happened?

Edit: In the unveiling video of the two new devices (Skoll and Midgard), what Jason said about Midgard wrt Asgard was “I pretty much expect that it’s probably gonna hurt Asgard a lot, but we’re also insane, we do stuff like this.”

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #132,465 of 155,174
And smuggled it out of the USSR in a place that the sun don't shine.
You're right -- I hid it in my lunchbox. Moscow was my first assignment when I was in the CIA. Not many people know this 'cause it's a secret. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back