Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 9, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #132,466 of 155,172
I don't like big wall-warts, I prefer when the power supply is in the device,
I do understand your stance, but I see two advantages to wall-warts.

1. By removing the transformer from the component, you've eliminated a large potential source of EMI.

2. I will not be tempted to try different power cords with said component.

Dec 9, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #132,467 of 155,172
Just so we're all clear. The CIA Bill is referring to is a tube club he formed. CIA stands for C(onseal) (In) A(rse). Sadly/Fortunately he was unable to recruit any additional members. :grimacing:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #132,468 of 155,172
In the old days we used to send a check i the mail to buy things and wait to get them via the US Mail.
No credit cards.
Just a trust that you would get what you paid for.
A simple life.

Now its Paypal, Venmo etc all taking a cut....well its capitalism for sure...

Recently I gave away two Magnis to some folks and the deal was send me $15 for shipping and I would send the amps to them...
Well I dont do paypal anymore, just me...
So here I am trying to convince someone that doesnt know me from Adam to send me $15 for shipping and to trust me....
Well I did find two souls that did trust me and they got the amps yesterday even before I received any shipping cost from them.

Sure wish we could go back to those old hand shake days...

:>)
Alex
Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance forever and a day.....

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #132,469 of 155,172
I do understand your stance, but I see two advantages to wall-warts.

1. By removing the transformer from the component, you've eliminated a large potential source of EMI.

2. I will not be tempted to try different power cords with said component.
For number 1: fair enough, I take that risk and I love how my Asgard 3 sounds.

For number 2: I don’t get tempted by that unless it’s just an aesthetic thing.

What I do get tempted by is custom usb cables and custom headphone cables. Not for any improved performance, for aesthetics only.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #132,470 of 155,172
More than fun, great musicianship too. Claypool is a genius.
100%.

It was funny, the time they came to Bend (Oregon) touring 'The Desaturating Seven' with Mastodon [Biggest pot cloud I have ever seen!], after the first two or three songs Claypool stopped to introduce the band and stuff. He said he loved Bend, it's super pretty here, he might even want to move here, and then said, "But I have a very serious question for you all... WHERE THE F*CK ARE ALL THE GODDAM FISH!!!"

Turns out he'd been fishing all day and got skunked. 😂

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #132,471 of 155,172
Just so we're all clear. The CIA Bill is referring to is a tube club he formed. CIA stands for C(onseal) (In) A(rse). Sadly he was unable to recruit any additional members.
1702150360101.png

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #132,472 of 155,172
If only I had the Photoshop skills to replace the watch with a Foton tube. :D

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #132,473 of 155,172
In the old days we used to send a check i the mail to buy things and wait to get them via the US Mail.
No credit cards.
Just a trust that you would get what you paid for.
A simple life.

Now its Paypal, Venmo etc all taking a cut....well its capitalism for sure...

Recently I gave away two Magnis to some folks and the deal was send me $15 for shipping and I would send the amps to them...
Well I dont do paypal anymore, just me...
So here I am trying to convince someone that doesnt know me from Adam to send me $15 for shipping and to trust me....
Well I did find two souls that did trust me and they got the amps yesterday even before I received any shipping cost from them.

Sure wish we could go back to those old hand shake days...

:>)
Alex

Indeed! My tribulations with PayPal go back to the turn of the millennium. Here's a more recent bout.

Schiit's insistence on PayPal as opposed to a bank transfer is all the more confounding - who declines advance payment in full, preferring escrow instead?!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #132,475 of 155,172
Yes! And for Pete's sake, make sure you orient them properly! :D

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #132,476 of 155,172
Indeed! My tribulations with PayPal go back to the turn of the millennium. Here's a more recent bout.

Schiit's insistence on PayPal in lieu of a bank transfer is all the more confounding - who declines advance payment in full preferring escrow instead?!
I assume you’re not American? In the US, there is no standard consumer to consumer bank transfer like in most of the world. Instead we have multiple shades of shady private companies inserting themselves as middlemen.

The EU with almost 30 sovereign countries, has regulation to force banks to interoperate for consumer benefit in ways the single national government in the US is unable to.

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #132,477 of 155,172
What I do get tempted by is custom usb cables and custom headphone cables. Not for any improved performance, for aesthetics only.
Music listening is an aesthetic activity and all aspects of it from sources to cables should enhance that!

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #132,479 of 155,172
I've never, ever contemplated that...

... and shame on you for doing so. :unamused:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #132,480 of 155,172
And for those of you with Roon and feeling the holiday spirit -- highly recommended...

1702155689655.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back