Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 7, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #132,361 of 155,174
…and @JamminVMI keeps complaining that I haven’t restored my tube tester yet. I’ve barely had the thing for a year and a half!
Patience is a virtue. 🧘🏻‍♂️
That apparently neither I nor my tubes have! Thank heaven for other friends!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #132,363 of 155,174
Me, two days ago:
"I should probably order eight or ten 6n6p tubes so that I have a few spares for the Folkvangr…"

Me, looking through the box of tubes in my closet just now:
"Huh, when did I buy those ten 6n6p?!"

What's the exact size of a tube stash to warrant keeping an inventory file? Asking for a friend… 😬
10 less than you have right now, given you forgot you bought them!

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #132,364 of 155,174
Didn't Jason run into this problem? Maybe he'd consider a SaaS tube inventory system for Schiitheads?
Peoplesoft just spun off Tubesoft! They don’t work in a vacuum, after all!

…backing slowly away…

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #132,366 of 155,174
My DAC Journey
by Verde and Black

Once upon a time, when I started streaming music in earnest for home listening in a 2 channel system, the device I used was a retired iPhone. It had a 3.5mm jack and at full volume, a 3.5mm to RCA connection functioned as a line level source. It sounded good. When phone upgrades happened, the old phone would cycle into streamer duty. I’m a ride-it-into-the-ground type with my phones, and use them until the lithium ion batteries are annoyingly depleted, so need that wall wart power for the tunes.

Streamer phones were 100% powered through the 30 pin dock connector, and later a lightening connector. Volume on the phone was never touched. All was good.

Then Apple, in their wisdom, elimated the 3.5mm jack. Enter the Apple Lighting Connector Dock, a nice little device, which they have since inexplicably discontinued, but which contained a 3.5mm jack at the back, which at full volume, also served as a line level source, and powered the deadass phone to boot. Elegant. Simple. And the dock somehow sounded better than the phone. But bits are bits?

Fast forward about 8 months. In a fit of spring cleaning, we find a *large* box of CDs, many of them recorded by never-made-it bands that our friends played in 25 or 30 years ago.

They’re not on Spotify. Or Apple Music. Or any of the others. My lazy self never ripped them to a hard drive/itunes. I no longer have a PC with an optical drive.

I buy a Goodwill DVD player for something like $8, RCA out. Sounds good. Glad I can play them. Glad I can hear them.

But…I only have one line level input to work with, so messing with unplugging connections whenever I want to change digital source. Kind of a pain.

Also, I’m starting my own business out of pandemic related necessity.

Googling for solutions to my digital source conundrum, I start to read about DACs. Found this thread.

Read it all. Learn some things for my business, which is not even in the same universe as Schiit, except for the (rather large) notion of differentiation in a crowded field plus customer service.

Also realize, for about a Benjamin plus the Apple Camera Adapter, I can add a Modi (3e at the time), and scrap my cable swapping. And I liked @Jason Stoddard online persona, and figured tossing his company a hundred bucks was worth it.

Order it.

Holy Schiit. That sounds good.

And, hey, I can AB, with a toggle switch and some adapt button pushing, the same song from streaming and CD. Cool.

But bits are bits. Except my $8 DVD player sounds better bypassing its internal DAC. Odd.

Engineering professor friend at UT Austin gifts me a little 10wpc Integrated Tube Amp he built and it replaces a vintage (recapped) Nikka receiver I quite liked (it now powers some outdoor speakers for the patio). Yowza! Get some sensitive speakers, add a sub.

Time passes. When not traveling, I can no longer live with the old ass, no longer supported airplay speaker in my home office. I’m in there a lot. I listen to music all day. It sounds bad.

I have some old, budget Polk bookshelf speakers not connected to anything and room in my office. Buy a SMSL chip amp, dig out an old phone and the lightning dock. Decent work day tunes. But the chimp amp isn’t really my jam. But, budget and form factor makes it good enough.

Add a dedicated, modern transport for CD to the main system.

Keep reading. Intrigued by the multibit. I’m an analogue guy at heart and still own the first vinyl records I ever purchased with my allowance (Men at Work, Business as Usual & John Cougar, American Fool) and Discogs insists I have about $10k in vinyl in the collection (I doubt this valuation).

Couple years of supply chain, nervousa (bits are bits, right?). Finally order the Modi Multibit.

Yowza!

But even more so, moved the 3e into the office today, and that SMSL? I can live with it longer now.

I’ve been binging the MMB2, but man, the 3e, for what I paid? That’s some solid kit.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #132,367 of 155,174
Dec 8, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #132,368 of 155,174
at the introduction of A2 Yggdrasil analog board upgrade, there was this post from Jason:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-1892#post-13978602
perhaps the wayback would be helpful here to resurrect the now-invalid pages...

and a post from @theveterans referencing a chart by Marv about various Yggy flavors (in audiophileese):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-776#post-17847975

and this small (4 pages) Yggdrasil Flavors thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yggdrasil-flavors.959648/

IIRC: both original AD5791 Analog Board and the v2 used discrete FET output buffers.
Yggy analog upgrade was referred to as "Analog 2" at intro vs. the now common "A2" or "OG" vernacular.
Mike (baldr) had talked about the improvements including higher output current (for driving low-impedance downstream inputs, e.g. 600 ohm pro XLR balanced inputs, audio coupling transformers), and other changes, some of which were contained in the inner PCB layers.
Both Yggy+ GS2 and OG variants have same firmware (supports dithering, non-factory-electronics-technician install of LIM, MIB analog flavor updates)

choice might depend on initial cost or voicing synergy with your existing (or near-future-planned) gear.
Yggy+ GS2 cost is low enough to allow future flavor Analog Board upgrades without significant total cost penalty vs buying an OG/LIM/MIB version initially if you "self-install" to reduce shipping costs.
I have an original Yggy and had the A2 upgrade boards installed by Electromod in the UK, shortly after they became available.
In my experience, the ‘OG’ Yggy already sounded superb; the A2 upgrade just made it even better!
The A2 output stage is excellent- I used the balanced outputs straight into active speakers, with stunning results. :beyersmile:

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #132,369 of 155,174
It depends. At my age, that number is probably 3. 🤣

The only thing more irritating than buying tubes because you don't think you have them is knowing you have them but can't find 'em. Buried in the stash somewhere. Telefunkens, I will find you....

Tube Stash noval octal.jpg
O - M - G !! I wanted to zoom in on the photo to see what you have ... but that didn't work !! Perhaps you would publish your spreadsheet for all our benefits ! ... and to pass judgement on your sanity !! :smile:

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #132,370 of 155,174
Me, two days ago:
"I should probably order eight or ten 6n6p tubes so that I have a few spares for the Folkvangr…"

Me, looking through the box of tubes in my closet just now:
"Huh, when did I buy those ten 6n6p?!"

What's the exact size of a tube stash to warrant keeping an inventory file? Asking for a friend… 😬
The locale of 10 to 100 tubes can be easily gleaned with a quick glance around the room.

Above 1000, involves more walking around the room and rifling through boxes, closets and other rooms. However, walking is apparently good for your health. And even better, re-discovering a long forgotten stash when tubes were cheap and women weren't is more thrilling than any SQL query returning exact location data. :sweat_smile:

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #132,371 of 155,174
My DAC Journey
by Verde and Black

Once upon a time, when I started streaming music in earnest for home listening in a 2 channel system, the device I used was a retired iPhone. It had a 3.5mm jack and at full volume, a 3.5mm to RCA connection functioned as a line level source. It sounded good. When phone upgrades happened, the old phone would cycle into streamer duty. I’m a ride-it-into-the-ground type with my phones, and use them until the lithium ion batteries are annoyingly depleted, so need that wall wart power for the tunes.

Streamer phones were 100% powered through the 30 pin dock connector, and later a lightening connector. Volume on the phone was never touched. All was good.

Then Apple, in their wisdom, elimated the 3.5mm jack. Enter the Apple Lighting Connector Dock, a nice little device, which they have since inexplicably discontinued, but which contained a 3.5mm jack at the back, which at full volume, also served as a line level source, and powered the deadass phone to boot. Elegant. Simple. And the dock somehow sounded better than the phone. But bits are bits?

Fast forward about 8 months. In a fit of spring cleaning, we find a *large* box of CDs, many of them recorded by never-made-it bands that our friends played in 25 or 30 years ago.

They’re not on Spotify. Or Apple Music. Or any of the others. My lazy self never ripped them to a hard drive/itunes. I no longer have a PC with an optical drive.

I buy a Goodwill DVD player for something like $8, RCA out. Sounds good. Glad I can play them. Glad I can hear them.

But…I only have one line level input to work with, so messing with unplugging connections whenever I want to change digital source. Kind of a pain.

Googling for solutions to my digital source conundrum, I start to read about DACs. Found this thread.

Read it all. Learn some things for my business, which is not even in the same universe as Schiit, except for the (rather large) notion of differentiation in a crowded field plus customer service.

Also realize, for about a Benjamin plus the Apple Camera Adapter, I can add a Modi (3e at the time), and scrap my cable swapping. And I liked @Jason Stoddard online persona, and figured tossing his company a hundred bucks was worth it.

Order it.

And, hey, I can AB, with a toggle switch and some adapt button pushing, the same song from streaming and CD. Cool.

But bits are bits. Except my $8 DVD player sounds better bypassing its internal DAC. Odd.

Engineering professor friend at UT Austin gifts me a little 10wpc Integrated Tube Amp he built and it replaces a vintage (recapped) Nikka receiver I quite liked (it now powers some outdoor speakers for the patio). Yowza! Get some sensitive speakers, add a sub.

Time passes. When not traveling, I can no longer live with the old ass, no longer supported airplay speaker in my home office. I’m in there a lot. I listen to music all day. It sounds bad.

I have some old, budget Polk bookshelf speakers not connected to anything and room in my office. Buy a SMSL chip amp, dig out an old phone and the lightning dock. Decent work day tunes. But the chimp amp isn’t really my jam. But, budget and form factor makes it good enough.

Keep reading. Intrigued by the multibit. I’m an analogue guy at heart and still own the first vinyl records I ever purchased with my allowance (Men at Work, Business as Usual & John Cougar, American Fool) and Discogs insists I have about $10k in vinyl in the collection (I doubt this valuation).

Couple years of supply chain, nervousa (bits are bits, right?). Finally order the Modi Multibit.

Yowza!

But even more so, moved the 3e into the office today, and that SMSL? I can live with it longer now.

I’ve been binging the MMB2, but man, the 3e, for what I paid? That’s some solid kit.

Thanks for sharing the journey it was a fun read. It's similar to mine and I'm sure many others. Hopefully somehow you can find some restraint for the nervosa at some point along the upgrade ladder.

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #132,372 of 155,174
I have an original Yggy and had the A2 upgrade boards installed by Electromod in the UK, shortly after they became available.
In my experience, the ‘OG’ Yggy already sounded superb; the A2 upgrade just made it even better!
The A2 output stage is excellent- I used the balanced outputs straight into active speakers, with stunning results. :beyersmile:

I never thought about configuring a Yggy like this. Can you share what active speakers you used? I have another room and your idea might be the best way to handle.

Aside: I bought a Yggy GS a couple years ago for my headphone system. It has been an amazing dac and a steal at the time. The GS2 is even more so today. If you're considering a Yggy on the cheap - jump on this opportunity. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #132,373 of 155,174
My DAC Journey
by Verde and Black

Order it.

Yowza!

You found the rabbit hole.

Dec 8, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #132,374 of 155,174
The locale of 10 to 100 tubes can be easily gleaned with a quick glance around the room.

Above 1000, involves more walking around the room and rifling through boxes, closets and other rooms. However, walking is apparently good for your health. And even better, re-discovering a long forgotten stash when tubes were cheap and women weren't is more thrilling than any SQL query returning exact location data. :sweat_smile:
So you've found a cheap woman? Does she have a sister, by chance? Maintenance on my current model continues to be very costly. 🤣 🤣

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #132,375 of 155,174
O - M - G !! I wanted to zoom in on the photo to see what you have ... but that didn't work !! Perhaps you would publish your spreadsheet for all our benefits ! ... and to pass judgement on your sanity !! :smile:
Spreadsheet? Have you any idea what that would involve? Tube type, country of origin, manufacturer, year of manufacture (if discernable), internal construction notes (plate style and material, getter (holder) type and location, supports, etc), GM test readings, ancillary notes for leakage, marginal flashing, inventory housing location, etc etc. No, that's waaaay too much work. I use a visual inventory system that has always worked quite well (unless, apparently, I'm looking for a particular Telefunken :slight_smile:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back