Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 22, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #11,626 of 12,484
So I have the Yggy OG/A2 with Unison and the updated fully modular chassis. How might the MIB compare with it in sonic performance? I'm not planning on replacing it, although I am very curious about the MIB and how it might sound as compared with the OG/A2

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #11,627 of 12,484
scroll up, mang.

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #11,628 of 12,484
I asked this in the Schiit Happened thread but didn't get much response (obviously fast-moving discussion there), but I was wondering if anyone has directly compared or has a lot of experience with both Yggy GS/A1 and with the OG A2. I'm considering adding GS2 to my Yggy collection if it has something unique and special to offer, as I've never heard the original A1 Yggy, but I already own OG A2 and MIB. I've read some folks say the original GS/A1 was their favorite. Yggy, but others say the A2 was a big upgrade for them. Anyone have any insights that might help me decide whether GS2 is uniquely magical enough to warrant picking up?

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #11,629 of 12,484
Taken from Marv's comparison with all flavors of Yggdrasil:

1701533702554.png

My conjecture based on this chart: essentially, you get a leaner timbral richness, i.e. drier tone than the O2 and the MIB as well as a slightly simpler sonic signature (less busy microdetails buried in the instrument notes) especially when compared to the A2 and the MIB. I suspect you'll notice this most likely on the male vocals or upper bass tones

Dec 2, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #11,630 of 12,484
Taken from Marv's comparison with all flavors of Yggdrasil:

My conjecture based on this chart: essentially, you get a leaner timbral richness, i.e. drier tone than the O2 and the MIB as well as a slightly simpler sonic signature (less busy microdetails buried in the instrument notes) especially when compared to the A2 and the MIB. I suspect you'll notice this most likely on the male vocals or upper bass tones
Interesting- good- thanks for this. I assume here by ‘clarity’ Marv was using this term to indicate ‘blackground’, since the OG/A2 ‘grayground’ has been a big complaint for some -not for me but I only have ever heard A2/OG since it is my first Yggdrasil version.

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #11,631 of 12,484
Interesting- good- thanks for this. I assume here by ‘clarity’ Marv was using this term to indicate ‘blackground’, since the OG/A2 ‘grayground’ has been a big complaint for some -not for me but I only have ever heard A2/OG since it is my first Yggdrasil version.

Correct! Clarity is the blackground where notes comes out clear canvas thus hearing notes pop out more but that doesn’t tell you whether a dac is resolving ridiculously well. Just listen to something like Chord Mojo 1 or 2 where it has a really good blackground but pales in resolving power of the Yggy OG but notes from Yggy OG is way more more detailed though it comes out of a less of a voided space

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #11,632 of 12,484
Reading through this very long thread in attempt to learn more about the flavors of this DAC. I'm in the middle of a system overhaul and not sure which Yggy to go with. I plan to make the Mjolnir 3 my primary amplifier at home (once it arrives). Is there an ideal path to Yggy? For example, buy the OG, then order the MIB upgrade card so I have the best of both worlds with an easy card swap? <hopefully that makes sense>.

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #11,633 of 12,484
I'm biased, I'd go with MIB for MJ3. A very refined amp such as the MJ3 should be met with a very refined DAC like the MIB :)

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #11,634 of 12,484
I'm biased, I'd go with MIB for MJ3. A very refined amp such as the MJ3 should be met with a very refined DAC like the MIB :)
will MIB still play well with my Bottlehead fleet? <cause I really love my Bottleheads>

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #11,635 of 12,484
will MIB still play well with my Bottlehead fleet? <cause I really love my Bottleheads>

I use my MIB with AmpsandSound Forge! It synergizes well with tubes and ZMF Bokeh :)

1702525418635.png

As a bonus, SE is not gimped unlike the OG since it's not using summers from the Balanced out to get the SE out. The SE out signal path from MIB is completely separate from Balanced

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #11,636 of 12,484
Reading through this very long thread in attempt to learn more about the flavors of this DAC. I'm in the middle of a system overhaul and not sure which Yggy to go with. I plan to make the Mjolnir 3 my primary amplifier at home (once it arrives). Is there an ideal path to Yggy? For example, buy the OG, then order the MIB upgrade card so I have the best of both worlds with an easy card swap? <hopefully that makes sense>.
I’m an OG user and nearly convinced by the MIB descriptions IF what @markkr says about the ‘easy card swap’ is true - those who have made the swap, is it in fact ‘easy’ for those who are not electronics techs?

Dec 14, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #11,637 of 12,484
I use my MIB with AmpsandSound Forge! It synergizes well with tubes and ZMF Bokeh :)

1702525418635.png

As a bonus, SE is not gimped unlike the OG since it's not using summers from the Balanced out to get the SE out. The SE out signal path from MIB is completely separate from Balanced

But you go from a fully discrete output stage in the OG to an op amp output stage in the MIB. It sounds like the MIB is really good, and cheaper to boot. That in itself is a win-win.

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #11,638 of 12,484
I’m an OG user and nearly convinced by the MIB descriptions IF what @markkr says about the ‘easy card swap’ is true - those who have made the swap, is it in fact ‘easy’ for those who are not electronics techs?

Easy swap based on guides I’ve seen online. You just need to not forget the MIB firmware chip after the swap

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #11,639 of 12,484
But you go from a fully discrete output stage in the OG to an op amp output stage in the MIB. It sounds like the MIB is really good, and cheaper to boot. That in itself is a win-win.

Yep! Yggdrasil level of technical performance despite the Op-amp. I’m pretty sure the ultimate Yggy that is in the works would have MIB chip with Jason’s discrete circuit. Finding all the quirks of those Ti chips to use for discrete stage must be pretty hard to do since there’s no discrete stage yet for any Ti Chips from Schiit

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #11,640 of 12,484

1702525418635.png

What do you mean by gimped? Constrained, compressed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back