Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 5, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #132,166 of 155,338
Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #132,167 of 155,338
Dec 5, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #132,168 of 155,338
I already have a robotic cat-napping device. Wait! No, I mean, why would anyone need such a contraption? 😮
Mojito (and ACP) happens to be a friend of mine as well. And, given I have 5 snuggly cats (rescues), all of whom can detect cat allergies at 300 meters (upwind), I’d recant, were I you. Snap here, all 19 pounds of him, looks fwd to meeting you. Yes, his mom is Gingie…

1701838206013.jpeg

…and, to kick some more of the Sine wave in the kiester, I’m holding (off camera) a Buffalo Trace old-fashioned, and if you look carefully, there’s A life-changing Yggdrasil+ GS2 on the bottom of the left side of that stack. It’s amazing. The Cavalier King Charles asleep on the floor is not a threat.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #132,169 of 155,338
Dec 6, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #132,170 of 155,338
Just so I'm 100% clear -- there were no cats harmed in my posts. :unamused:

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #132,172 of 155,338
pretty certain it was Gateway 2 ECM 1105 Abercrombie DeJonette Holland...
Thanks, I own a lot of albums by those 3, but not that one, always something to discover!

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #132,173 of 155,338
Just so I'm 100% clear -- there were no cats harmed in my posts. :unamused:
we know. But the opportunity presented was soooo delicious, and we know you’ve got a sense of humour. If we didn’t like you, we woulda moved on. As I tell people: If I don’t give you s*&t,I don’t like you.

But. On a personal note. Please let me know what you think regarding GS2. I’m just loving it! Chg in soundstage from Bifrost 2/64 is amazing.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #132,174 of 155,338
It may not be intentional, but the repeated regurgitation of what other companies and designers think is getting a bit old. This is the Schiit Happened thread. It's like going into Dave's Bar and telling him what Dan's Pub thinks.

If you have found your own One True Path, perhaps best to stick to it. We're gonna continue doing what we do, which includes a wide range of feedback, no-feedback, some-feedback, weird-feedback, current-feedback, feedforward, single ended, balanced, differential, not differential, and other techniques. We started with 100% no overall feedback—Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr, Mjolnir--hell, none of our amps had feedback baked into them until Magni. And we've already done a device so that measures so horrifyingly that it shocked me (Folkvangr). But bad measurements are not an end to themselves, same as good measurements.

Time for a chapter on Feedback, Good Bad and Ugly, like we did with balanced and Class A and discrete. I'll get to that eventually.

Looking forward to that coming article :)

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #132,175 of 155,338
Where the tube costs more than the amp!
The Fotons are cheap, at least compared to most NOS 6SN7 types. The '50's production tubes are becoming scarce, but still pop up every now and then at decent prices. Fortunately I have a couple spares in case they disappear entirely. 🤣

1701843198812.png

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #132,176 of 155,338
“If you don't mind sharing, why did you get rid of your Maggies? I was thinking of getting a pair for my second system just to swap in and out because of all the "amazing, you're not gonna believe it" reviews. However, every time they come up it seems people get them, are wowed by them, then move on. Do they not live up to the hype? Or, something else? Just wondering if I should not waste my time. Thanks.”

(FYI, when replying to a post, write your response outside of the quoted text)

I’ve always been impressed by Maggies but I’ve never owned them. They can be tough on some amplifiers due to their impedance. They do come with some flaws. The main one being their crossovers. They aren’t always designed well and the company is so old fashioned that they don’t seem interested in changing. It’s a pity because I know people have offered better designed crossovers out there.

I found the Magnepan LRS threw up a great sound stage -- if you're in the right physical position. Step outside and things get mushy. Also I could hear the bass, but didn't feel it. Meh.

Got a serious case of tube-itus and had to recreate what I has enjoying with my headphone system in the 2-channel realm. Tried to pair the LRS with a tube amp and that fell flat. Literally. Vidar and LRS are a much better combination.

Since I was (and am) committed to the tubes, found a pair of amazing horn speakers from Shinjitsu audio and wow oh wow - the magic is back. Plenty of bass and midrange. It's as resolving and emotional as my headphone system. From anywhere in the room.

So yeah, like your story - was wowed initally with the Maggies, but moved on after that.

My kids now enjoy the old system - which compared to their Best Buy special, is a huge upgrade.

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #132,178 of 155,338
I can imagine those being quite the ice breaker / conversation starter whenever one is having people over! 😆
I remember customers hanging their wet coats over a pair of Quad ESL57,s because they look like space heaters !! - it was interesting demo'ing wet electrostatics !!!!

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #132,179 of 155,338
Since Schiit is clearly not doing another run on Sol and I have not been able to find a used one, I don't suppose anyone on here has one that is not being used that they would be willing to part with?
With Skoll just added ..... You must be joking right?

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #132,180 of 155,338
I remember customers hanging their wet coats over a pair of Quad ESL57,s because they look like space heaters !! - it was interesting demo'ing wet electrostatics !!!!
Yep, recognise that. Visitors trying to warm their hands on the original Quad ESL's. Changed to model 63 and those problems were gone. Still running the 63's with all my Schiit gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back