Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 18, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #128,746 of 155,172
Oct 18, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #128,747 of 155,172
Cut it out, guys. I'm this close to re-posting a certain picture. The launch codes have been retrieved from the football, and the finger is hovering over that big red button!
Way to go, @jonathan c . You woke up the sleeping bear. And I'm pretty sure it's a Grizzly. :scream:

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #128,748 of 155,172
Rule of thumb: If your remote has a black or white LED on the side that's facing away from you, or a black, somewhat translucent plastic cover, it's an IR remote.
Most remotes these days are IR remotes, but there are exceptions.
All Schiit remotes are IR and require line of sight.

Fun fact: The first TVs with wireless remote controls used ultrasonics, not infrared. They had a little tweeter up front. Those were funky!
The first TV's with wired remotes had a box with a long cable and two buttons: one spun the 12-position rotary channel selector clockwise, and the other spun it counterclockwise. Slow and noisy, but still faster than yelling at my little sister to get up and change the channel. 🤣

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #128,749 of 155,172
Does anyone else have 12v triggers that they use in a system? I recently employed one on a TV rig and it works great . I wonder how complicated and costly it would be to implement on an amplifier with power standby like Vidar, Aegir, or Tyr. It’s a great feature but I am just curious about how many people utilize this. Thanks

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #128,750 of 155,172
Way to go, @jonathan c . You woke up the sleeping bear. And I'm pretty sure it's a Grizzly. :scream:
Hardly….
796EB92F-DB58-4FA6-B18B-AD2C00F3DEFC.jpeg

Oct 19, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #128,751 of 155,172
Probably because very few customers read and understand the APx test reports ...
I resemble that remark !! ... although I do give it a go at understanding when someone far more knowledgeable than me explains things.

Oct 19, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #128,752 of 155,172
Does anyone else have 12v triggers that they use in a system? I recently employed one on a TV rig and it works great . I wonder how complicated and costly it would be to implement on an amplifier with power standby like Vidar, Aegir, or Tyr. It’s a great feature but I am just curious about how many people utilize this. Thanks
12v trigger is crutial for me and I miss it on devices from Schiit and Chord. In my current setup I have to switch power amp manually [on front panel :) ] and it is annoying.

Oct 19, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #128,753 of 155,172
It's probably far too late to help, can only offer some impossibly incorrect hypotheses or antediluvian views filled with schiit.

Not saying this happened exactly as I am about to makeup describe, but in a previous century Jason and Mike collaborated on some projects. Projects that were far ahead of their time. Some say, or just me, outside of time. Anyhow, before I digress further down the temporal wormhole, it was also a period when Jason was running a cutting edge, thought-massaging advertising agency and Mike was creating cutting edge digital audio platforms. You can hear where this is going already.

No? Fine, let me elaborate. Or stop me now. Your choice.

74547d019d72440e1d451561a20fc898.jpg

Alrighty then. I'll continue.

At this time, Jason and Mike, being visionaries - or as we call them now - audilaries - gifted people who can hear the future, had an idea. Sure, many of us have ideas. However, some ideas have a very long tail or as we call them now, long reach vestibular stimulators.

While pursuing his marketing mojo at Centric, Jason learned about the power of suggestion - and delivery of pre-subminimal post-subliminal suggestive association. It's all covered in Jason's Chapter 2 here, except the part that I'm about to reveal.

This part, of course, is a most interesting part. Not just because it's some schiity speculation, but because at this point your beleaguered suspension bridge of disbelief has collapsed under the overloaded overpass on the way to get to the point. The point is simple. Audibly simple. But perhaps not consciously audible.

No point getting worried, however. This is no faux-fact-checking SINAD mission for numeric superiority. If you're a precog, you already know where the point went. If you find it, could you please return it to the Temple di Valse.

Anyhow, if you're like me and have no clue what I'm typing about, here's where the worm turns over a new ear for familiar serenades.

Back in a previous century - which might feel like around the time you began reading this post - yes, back then and even then, Jason and Mike possibly realized their one true significant bit path was in the multi-mythic aural future history. But how to get there?

The Schiit if I know.

But, ponder this... is it a coincidence that the Tempo di Valse is so familiar to you, so intimate - listening to it through your good Schiit? Not likely.

Or a coincidence I have a sublime and eerily familiar feeling listening to Marin Marais' Second Livre De Pieces De Viole played by Savall as recorded 400 years ago, or in a previous century, playing through my TrueMultibit™ DAC? I don't think so.

I mean, really.... this schiit is a time machine - when I listen, I'm transported back to Paris circa 1701. That's no schitty coincidence, is it?

I think, therefore, I am filled with pure schiit cogitation - spinning heavy mental mentation tracks round and round in the Urd of my mind:

Previous century Jason and Mike devised a way of embedding snippets of sonics, heard, but not heard, that entered our collective popular consciousness - yet waited below the noise floor for decades before emerging in haunting familiarity with questions in a thread about very familiar schiit in 2023.

Sure, there could be more plausible or implausible explanations, and we could posit post-cochlear conspiracies until the threshold of being fades out but...

797fd380c007869e06a0e4c52a1eed9e.png

You can't make this schiit up! 🤣
This is up there with the funniest schiit ever posted on this thread - and that is some very fine company in the art of written humor! In it's category this piece is top notch.

Thankyou for the laughs :D

Oct 19, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #128,754 of 155,172
To really fix it requires blowing up the IR paradigm entirely.
For coverage, sensor alignment, maybe check if your lightpipe material works with IR. I think remotes are close to visible and therefore likely to work.

Cutting down on the number of remotes is a taller task. One way to go is more integrated devices, i.e. if the preamp and the DAC merge then all input switching is in the same device. If there's just one box then there's just one remote! Modularity makes this viable, but maybe not preferred.

Devices that can learn remotes instead of (or in addition to) the other way around may help with the future product problem.

LEDs can indicate which device is currently being controlled and which buttons are currently active. A screen is only needed when none of the labels on the remote make any sense for a button that needs to be on the remote.

1 Input
2 Output (Process for Syn)
3 Volume up
4 Volume down
5 Mute
6 Gain / Invert / Shape
7 Play
8 Stop
9 Back
10 Forward

That covers everything except the Skoll and the Loki Max, if I'm not mistaken. Which seems sensible, does it not? I did leave out Standby as I cannot envision a use case where you turn your system on or off while remaining in your seat (also I don't think there is any Schiit yet with standby and a remote).

I'd go with four device selection buttons, each assignable by recognizing (or learning when needed) the original remote.

Player, DAC, Preamp, one extra. The four basic player controls as well as the volume controls can stay active while controlling anything but the extra, which may be a secondary player or amp. This feature, controlling multiple devices without explicitly switching what you're controlling, is where you end up with either complexity or limitations. I think this is the part where a clearly good solution is harder to find, the part that may require more thought and discussion. My proposal errs on the side of more limitations, less confusion. Remove the extra that may overlap for a three-device remote where these buttons are always right, only mute and input selection can cause confusion. Duplicate or triplicate all buttons that overlap and maybe a three-device remote that always controls all devices, no device selection buttons needed, isn't a preposterous thought? Maybe exclude muting anything but the amp?

YMMV, but it seems to me that a sensibly complete Schiit remote isn't that much of a beast.

Oct 19, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #128,756 of 155,172
Did anyone else notice Asgard 3 went up in price? I feel like usually Jason announces price hikes but either I missed his post in here acknowledging it, or it wasn’t publicly announced. As someone with an Asgard 3, I totally think it’s still worth the new price, but I’m surprised it isn’t being talked about. Was the price increase because of inflation on certain components in the amp, or is it to better differentiate it from Midgard? Or am I unobservant and Jason already talked about the increase?

Oct 19, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #128,757 of 155,172
Did anyone else notice Asgard 3 went up in price? I feel like usually Jason announces price hikes but either I missed his post in here acknowledging it, or it wasn’t publicly announced. As someone with an Asgard 3, I totally think it’s still worth the new price, but I’m surprised it isn’t being talked about. Was the price increase because of inflation on certain components in the amp, or is it to better differentiate it from Midgard? Or am I unobservant and Jason already talked about the increase?

I recently noticed it too. But it wasn’t mentioned as far as I know. Probably due to components increase. Still a stellar amp even at the new price

Oct 19, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #128,760 of 155,172
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back